How many Amps does my PSU have?

I have a cheap 600w Storm PSU - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Storm-600w-Psu-pin-Sata/dp/B001QF19HG

The specs are as follows -
Storm 600w psu with 120mm fan
Improved Spec now with 4+4= 8pin connector and 4 x SATA
Dual +12V technology; Version 2.2 psu
Silent fan operation with noise level <23dBA
PFC Power Factor Correction
24 Pin;1 x 4 pin +12V; 1 x 6 pin Pci-e; 4 x SATA;3 x 4 pin power; 1 x floppy connector
Cable length 50cm with full braided cable sleeve
Rear on/off power down switch
Over voltage and circuit protection +3.3, +5V, +12V
CE/FCC UL approved
EMI Filter built in
Colour retail boxed
For Socket 775, Am2 and all backward CPU's
ROHS Compliant
Dimensions W 150 H86 D 140mm
+3.3V 24A; +5V 32A; +12V1 21A+12V2 22A; -12V 0.6A; +5vsb 2.0A

How many amps does it have? I need enough for it to run a 560ti. Thanks
16 answers Last reply
More about amps have
  1. well one of the amazon reviews says its 26 amps

    whether they are correct i dont know

    think from memory about 30 amps is recommended for 560ti
  2. Could I get away with it?
  3. couldnt say for certain--would be wrong for me to tell you it definitely would be ok

    but have seen people run stuff on psus that were under the recommended spec

    but personally i wouldnt run my £160 or whatever price they are now graphics card on a £23 psu


    is it an overclocked 560ti?

    as that would draw more power
  4. I'm buying it off my friend for a cheap price, so couldn't say if it's overclocked or not, my guess is no though. I really don't know what to do as I can't afford a better PSU
  5. MRnightmuffin said:
    I have a cheap 600w Storm PSU - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Storm-600w-Psu-pin-Sata/dp/B001QF19HG

    The specs are as follows -
    Storm 600w psu with 120mm fan
    Improved Spec now with 4+4= 8pin connector and 4 x SATA
    Dual +12V technology; Version 2.2 psu
    Silent fan operation with noise level <23dBA
    PFC Power Factor Correction
    24 Pin;1 x 4 pin +12V; 1 x 6 pin Pci-e; 4 x SATA;3 x 4 pin power; 1 x floppy connector
    Cable length 50cm with full braided cable sleeve
    Rear on/off power down switch
    Over voltage and circuit protection +3.3, +5V, +12V
    CE/FCC UL approved
    EMI Filter built in
    Colour retail boxed
    For Socket 775, Am2 and all backward CPU's
    ROHS Compliant
    Dimensions W 150 H86 D 140mm
    +3.3V 24A; +5V 32A; +12V1 21A+12V2 22A; -12V 0.6A; +5vsb 2.0A

    How many amps does it have? I need enough for it to run a 560ti. Thanks


    Does it have a faceplate that shows the +3.3V 24A; +5V 32A; +12V1 21A+12V2 22A; -12V 0.6A; +5vsb 2.0A on it? Under the 12V it should combine those Wattage, what is that number?
  6. and it says 1 x 6 pin Pci-e

    doesnt a 560ti need 2 x 6 pin pci-e?
  7. @Jnkweaver - What do you mean, look on the actual power supply?

    @mcnumpty - Molex adapter.
  8. yeah you can use a molex or sata adapter

    just the fact it only has one pci-e cable isnt a great sign its going to be a decent psu

    yes they mean on the actual psu
  9. MRnightmuffin said:
    @Jnkweaver - What do you mean, look on the actual power supply?

    @mcnumpty - Molex adapter.


    Yep on the actual supply
  10. Hmm I found what you were saying, I see 2 numbers - 583w under the first 4 (3.3+ all the way to +12v2.) As well as that I see 17w (under the -12vdc - +5vsb
  11. MRnightmuffin said:
    Hmm I found what you were saying, I see 2 numbers - 583w under the first 4 (3.3+ all the way to +12v2.) As well as that I see 17w (under the -12vdc - +5vsb


    And here is where we get into our lesson on crappy power supplies. The fact that they don't add the +12V rails is very suspicious.

    Wattage= Volts x Amps

    3.3V x 24A = 79
    5V x 32A = 160
    12V1 x 21A = 252
    12V2 x 22A = 264
    Total = 755W but it can only draw 583W total. One of those Amperages is deceiving. Anytime you see high amperage on the 3.3V or 5V that appreciably add to the wattage you know you are in trouble. Add that to the fact that Storm isn't in this list
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913-9.html
    makes it a generic supply and not trusted. The low price is also a warning sign BTW.


    With all that said I wouldn't even put the 550TI in the case. I think the best you cand do with that supply is 7750. It draws about half the power and that might make the difference with your supply.
  12. Hmm, I'll just wait it out until I get enough money for a power supply, thanks everyone.
  13. jnkweaver said:
    And here is where we get into our lesson on crappy power supplies. The fact that they don't add the +12V rails is very suspicious.

    Wattage= Volts x Amps

    3.3V x 24A = 79
    5V x 32A = 160
    12V1 x 21A = 252
    12V2 x 22A = 264
    Total = 755W but it can only draw 583W total. One of those Amperages is deceiving. Anytime you see high amperage on the 3.3V or 5V that appreciably add to the wattage you know you are in trouble. Add that to the fact that Storm isn't in this list
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913-9.html
    makes it a generic supply and not trusted. The low price is also a warning sign BTW.


    With all that said I wouldn't even put the 550TI in the case. I think the best you cand do with that supply is 7750. It draws about half the power and that might make the difference with your supply.



    ^ +1

    Op has asked this before - guess he's tryin to find someone to tell him
    it's OK
  14. mcnumpty23 said:
    and it says 1 x 6 pin Pci-e

    doesnt a 560ti need 2 x 6 pin pci-e?

    Yes
  15. I'm just trying to get a mixture of opinions, I'm sure I didn't ask the exact same question. Anyway, I've had some people tell me it's going to work, some tell me it's a risk, and same tell me it's straight up suicide
  16. MRnightmuffin said:
    I'm just trying to get a mixture of opinions, I'm sure I didn't ask the exact same question. Anyway, I've had some people tell me it's going to work, some tell me it's a risk, and same tell me it's straight up suicide


    Unfortunately the people that telll you it is ok either haven't serious looked at the supply or just don't understand.

    Sometimes people only ask the wattage and never ask anything about the supply. It is those people and the ones that just don't know that allow the generic psu's and the outright fraud psu's to continue to exist. Read this for more info http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/284314-28-power-supply-guides-info
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components