How do i get vga graphics?

richarda83

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
so my monitor keeps going blank during boot up, i installed an update to windows 7 and apparently theres an issue with amd card and the update. anyhow, after trying so many different things im trying to reinstall windows. however, the monitor is going blank during setup. i dont think there is any issues with my hardware. so, how do i enable vga graphics and not use the card. i dont see a connector for my monitor on my motherboard. just a plugin to my video card for video. if i take the card out i obviously have no where to plug my monitor into. i really believe the computer detcting the video card with driver issues is the problem. any help? and in bios i cant seem to find a video controller option because i dont have onboard graphics. just a standard motherboard with 2 pci e i guess.

mace200200

Honorable
If you don't have onboard graphics then all you can do is plug into a card. If there's nothing wrong with your hardware, then the card should work fine, with or without running the video drivers for it, remember that your not running drivers until you have windows installed, and then the drivers installed afterwords.
I think that it's probably whatever cable your using (vga, DVI, etc..) going bad, or it could be the monitor itself, I just had a monitor die on me, they can just go for no reason. Unless your PSU isn't delivering enough power to your GPU. But again your not running the drivers so it's unlikely that's a problem because your GPU is just idling.

richarda83

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
hmmm, ok. i hope its not my gpu dieing. its a 5770 and sometimes during games its crashed on me. not too many times, but i would imagine installing windows and my monitor going black shouldnt be so consistent. if the monitor stopped randomly i would think its the monitor but i have tried installing windows and everytime during the installation phase (its say in the installation computer may restart) the monitor goes black but the computer is still running. this is why i dont think its hardware?

crimsondivel

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012

that sounds like u have a cheep psu is that right ?