Closed Solved

Need Advice on GTX 670 Upgrade

I'm planning on upgrading to a GTX 670 (since it's substantially cheaper than a GTX 680 with a small performance difference). I want an non-reference designed card if possible. The sooner I can buy the card the better but I'm not opposed to waiting until one comes in stock or whatnot if a time frame is known.

My current specs:
CPU: i5-3570k
Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance
PSU: 850 Watt Corsair TX850
GPU: AMD HD 6870 1GB

I primarily game in BF3 and want to push it to ultra settings if possible. I play other demanding games as well but BF3 is the main game I play right now.

Right now, the card I'm looking at would be the Asus DirectCU II GTX 670 TOP but it's currently out of stock with no ship-date as to when it might come back in stock. I'm looking for other suggestions if possible. Thanks for your help in advance.
20 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need advice upgrade
  1. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0081IFO2C/ref=asc_df_B0081IFO2C2135852?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=cnet-pc-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B0081IFO2C

    There you go, but if you still want a recommendation, EVGA is also an amazing brand. You get a lifetime warranty if you register it online within 30 days, and 90% of the time, you get great customer service.
    If you buy this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130787
    then you get higher clocks for 12 bucks less. The ASUS cards has a stock clock of 915 and a boost of 980, while the EVGA card has a stock clock of 1006 and a boost of 1084. The only thing I can't tell you is if the fan performance is better or not.

    PS: After you buy this GTX 670, I'm going to be really jealous of your build...
  2. reubenvm said:

    Really? $430 bucks with slighty lower clocks than the EVGA card? Also it's MSI. Last time I bought a card from them, the fans didn't work.
  3. Best answer
    Spartan-S63 said:
    I'm planning on upgrading to a GTX 670 (since it's substantially cheaper than a GTX 680 with a small performance difference). I want an non-reference designed card if possible. The sooner I can buy the card the better but I'm not opposed to waiting until one comes in stock or whatnot if a time frame is known.

    My current specs:
    CPU: i5-3570k
    Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V
    RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    PSU: 850 Watt Corsair TX850
    GPU: AMD HD 6870 1GB

    I primarily game in BF3 and want to push it to ultra settings if possible. I play other demanding games as well but BF3 is the main game I play right now.

    Right now, the card I'm looking at would be the Asus DirectCU II GTX 670 TOP but it's currently out of stock with no ship-date as to when it might come back in stock. I'm looking for other suggestions if possible. Thanks for your help in advance.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127685
  4. Also, check out this post.
    http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1631248&mpage=1
    Both cards perform within 3 FPS of each other in games. So you get basically the same performance for cheaper by purchasing the EVGA GPU. You also get a lifetime warranty; just don't forget to register your product.
  5. dlp12 said:
    Really? $430 bucks with slighty lower clocks than the EVGA card? Also it's MSI. Last time I bought a card from them, the fans didn't work.

    $405 after MIR. Also, the MSi supports overvolting and, with this cooling, high overclocks.
  6. reubenvm said:
    $405 after MIR. Also, the MSi supports overvolting and, with this cooling, high overclocks.

    Hm, not sure about the overclocks (not doubting, just saying), but the cooling looks promising. It's all up to OP though.
  7. I've heard great things about EVGA, my only concern is their cooling solution on their cards.
  8. I was actually purchasing the EVGA GTX 670 FTW card soon, but after hearing about 63 C under load in Battlefield 3, I was amazed. I get about 80 C underload after an hour or 2. If that temperature is true, then I will also purchase the Twin Frozr IV.
  9. dlp12 said:
    Hm, not sure about the overclocks (not doubting, just saying), but the cooling looks promising. It's all up to OP though.

    I did some close research on it, and notice how the reference 670 has a 2/3 length PCB and the MSi Twin Frozr has a full-length PCB? There are 3 reasons:
    1. You don't have to plug in the additional power plugs 1/3 of the way down your card
    2. MSi encorporated more power phases, so it is the only 670 that supports overvolting.
    3. A full-length cooler (no awkward chunk of plastic sticking past the PCB for no apparent reason).
    You also get 2 fans, which should give you below-30 idles and a maximum of 60 under load.
    So, with the rebate, you're paying $5 for these awesome features.
  10. reubenvm said:
    I did some close research on it, and notice how the reference 670 has a 2/3 length PCB and the MSi Twin Frozr has a full-length PCB? There are 3 reasons:
    1. You don't have to plug in the additional power plugs 1/3 of the way down your card
    2. MSi encorporated more power phases, so it is the only 670 that supports overvolting.
    3. A full-length cooler (no awkward chunk of plastic sticking past the PCB for no apparent reason).
    You also get 2 fans, which should give you below-30 idles and a maximum of 60 under load.
    So, with the rebate, you're paying $5 for these awesome features.


    Another question for those who have knowledge of graphics cards, I run two monitors (only one for gaming) at the moment. With my current 6870 (it being a reference design) runs 60C idle and a little under 90C under load.

    With Twin Frozr IV will temperatures still be that low with the two monitors plugged in and active?
  11. Spartan-S63 said:
    Another question for those who have knowledge of graphics cards, I run two monitors (only one for gaming) at the moment. With my current 6870 (it being a reference design) runs 60C idle and a little under 90C under load.

    With Twin Frozr IV will temperatures still be that low with the two monitors plugged in and active?

    It shouldn't make enough of a difference to matter. Maybe 10-15 degrees.
  12. Hands down the best card:

    Asus GTX670 DirectCUII TOP

    *Link to CONCLUSION of multi-page review, including benchmarks and NOISE analysis:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670_Direct_Cu_II/33.html

    excerpt from conclusion:
    "first graphics card ever that I gave a perfect ten score"

    MUST BE THE TOP VERSION OF THE CARD (non-TOP is slower but looks exactly the same)

    (the "T" in "DC2T" means the TOP version)
    http://ca.asus.com/en/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/GTX670DC2T2GD5/
  13. photonboy said:
    Hands down the best card:

    Asus GTX670 DirectCUII TOP

    *Link to CONCLUSION of multi-page review, including benchmarks and NOISE analysis:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670_Direct_Cu_II/33.html

    excerpt from conclusion:
    "first graphics card ever that I gave a perfect ten score"

    MUST BE THE TOP VERSION OF THE CARD (non-TOP is slower but looks exactly the same)

    (the "T" in "DC2T" means the TOP version)
    http://ca.asus.com/en/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/GTX670DC2T2GD5/

    They person that started this said he wanted that card but can't get it.
  14. Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I'm going to with the MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC because of Twin Frozr IV and the OC'ing capability with the improved power phasing.

    Once again, thanks for helping me out.
  15. Spartan-S63 said:
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I'm going to with the MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC because of Twin Frozr IV and the OC'ing capability with the improved power phasing.

    Once again, thanks for helping me out.

    And it looks badass. :na:
  16. reubenvm said:
    And it looks badass. :na:


    That is true too and with an Asus P8Z77-V Mobo with the blue and white color scheme the card blends in nicely.
  17. photonboy said:
    Hands down the best card:

    Asus GTX670 DirectCUII TOP

    What makes this card better than the MSi GTX 670 Power Edition? As far as I can tell, it's $15 extra for lower clock speeds, no triple overvoltage, equal or worse cooling, and lower quality components.
  18. reubenvm said:
    What makes this card better than the MSi GTX 670 Power Edition? As far as I can tell, it's $15 extra for lower clock speeds, no triple overvoltage, equal or worse cooling, and lower quality components.


    From what I've read in benchmarks and such, the Asus DirectCU II TOP (or non-TOP) is quieter than most non-reference cards out there, but other than that, there's not much of a difference between this and the MSI Power Edition. With the Asus card, I think you can overvolt it a bit, but the TOP is probably already hitting its max OC whereas the MSI Power Edition theoretically will have a higher ceiling as long as cooling is sufficient.
  19. Best answer selected by Spartan-S63.
  20. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Games Graphics Product