Case modding

gunnyfreak

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
Hi, So my new graphics card won't fit in my case

It has built in drive bays that I think I can cut out quite easily (probably just twist it off with pliers even)

If I do that I can fit the graphics card in there, should I do that? Where will I keep my HDD then? Can I just duct tape it to the floor of the case?

Anything I should be careful of? I heard metal dust but since I'm going to twist it off as opposed to sawing it I don't think there's gonna be much of it. I'll be careful either way. Anything else?

Thanks in advance

gunny

Solution
as long as the hard drive cage doesnt vibrate. the only thing you need the HDD to do is not move alot when its being in use essentially. so taping it directly to the case isnt the best of ideas, because the case would be susceptible to fan and table/floor vibrations more than in another structure. you can probably get away with duct taping the cage to the case if its secure enough, though remember that case heat will deteriorate and make the tape sticky to the case.
case and gpu in question?

assuming you cant buy another case for replacement, cutting the hdd cage is the general choice. as long as you can secure the hdd elsewhere(imo the thing you should do is cut the cage, and weld it near the bottom sidewards so you can slip in the hdd better.)

gunnyfreak

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
I can't weld worth a frak and the Case is a Chinese model so idk what to call it....

the card is an AMD radeon hd 6950

Probably gonna be cutting the cage, how secure does the hdd have to be? Like, welded secure? duct tape secure? As long as it doesn't bang on the case every other second?

as long as the hard drive cage doesnt vibrate. the only thing you need the HDD to do is not move alot when its being in use essentially. so taping it directly to the case isnt the best of ideas, because the case would be susceptible to fan and table/floor vibrations more than in another structure. you can probably get away with duct taping the cage to the case if its secure enough, though remember that case heat will deteriorate and make the tape sticky to the case.

Solution

Delirious788

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

Dont listen to him. I have seen him post many horrible replies today because he thinks it is funny. He needs to be kicked out. He is not helping at all.

Can you post a picture somehow of the inside of your case? photobucket or alike site. Just upload and paste the link here. That would be awesome.

Can you just cut out a portion of the HDD cage so it is still mounted yet your card fits and HDD can go in a different slot? Or maybe drill some holes in the cage and in the case and bolt it together or rivet it together.

On the bottom of the HDD is probably a circuit board. Make sure not to short any of that out when placed on the floor of the case

gunnyfreak

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
Well... I ended up cutting out the offending side of the drive bay and screwed half of the hdd in and the other half duct taped to the floor, there's space between the floor and hdd ofc so I used some of the foam thing (not quite strofoam I think....) from my graphics card package to pad it, it also acts as an insulator.

As to whether if it worked or not.... well.... Let's just say I'm posting this on my new comp :D

thanks all except of Robert751 for the help!

TRENDING THREADS