Computer recognizes only DVI or HDMI, not both

occam5419

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
This may be too basic a question for this forum, but I'd appreciate any help I can get. I just got an HP Pavilion desktop with a 2GB AMD Radeon 7570 video card (DVI, HDMI, DP, and VGA). I also got two Asus VE248 monitors, with the intention of connecting one through the DVI port and the other through the HDMI port. However, the computer will display only one monitor. When I connect both monitors (one DVI, other HDMI), the "AMD Vision Engine Control Center" tells me that the one connected via HDMI is "disabled." I can't see any way to enable the HDMI port. Any suggestions? Does it have something to do with the BIOS?

For what it's worth, I've connected each of the monitors by itself using DVI and HDMI, so I know that the HDMI cable works fine.

Thank you.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I guess your card uses the same bandwidth for both DVI and HDMI. So you can use only one at the same time. (My card has two DVI ports and one of them uses the same bandwidth as the HDMI. I can use DVI-DVI-DP or DVI-HDMI-DP but not DVI-DVI-HDMI for three monitor setup because one DVI shares bandwidth with HDMI.)

Therefore, you must use DP or VGA along with DVI or HDMI. Or you can buy DP to HDMI/DVI converter adapter. http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DisplayPort%C2%AE-HDMI%C2%AE-Adapter-Converter/dp/B001S2PYQY and http://eu.startech.com/AV/Displayport-Converters/DisplayPort-to-HDMI-Cable-Adapter-Converter~DP2HDMI

occam5419

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Thanks very much for the help. By fiddling around with the settings, I managed to get the DVI and HDMI working at the same time. Apparently the problem was with me, not with the computer.

xyjames

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
what did you do occam? I have an asus CM 1831 with the same problem. i can get a HDMI & VGA or DVI & VGA, but not both HDMI & DVI. this is dissapointing as my 2009 worked out of the box. thanks, JW

Wolfshadw

Titan
@xyjames -

If you've added a discrete graphics card to your system, then you should be able to right click on the disabled monitor in AMD Vision Engine Control Center and select enable monitor. In NVidia Control Panel, you'd need to set up multiple displays (under the Display Tree).

If you did not add a discrete graphics card, then the above AMD instructions *MAY* work, but it's very possible that the AMD 760G northbridge chipset simply does not have two digital paths for simultaneous use. IOW, you can use HDMI or DVI, but not both at the same time.

-Wolf sends