Bluetooth Compatibility

Last response: in Brands
October 20, 2004 1:12:04 PM

Hey ,

I have an nokia 6230 , bluetooth enabled phone.
I wish to transfer mp3s,images....ect to my phone from college
computers via bluetooth.
I will NOT be able to run EXEs or install programs. i have preety much
access to all other fuctions tho.
Is there a plug and play bluetooth dongle that can fit these needs.

I have a choice of Win XP Pro , Win2k and iMac comps to choose from.

thanks in advance

mike
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 12:42:21 AM

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:12:04 -0700, djmike wrote:

> Hey ,
>
> I have an nokia 6230 , bluetooth enabled phone.
> I wish to transfer mp3s,images....ect to my phone from college
> computers via bluetooth.
> I will NOT be able to run EXEs or install programs. i have preety much
> access to all other fuctions tho.
> Is there a plug and play bluetooth dongle that can fit these needs.
>
> I have a choice of Win XP Pro , Win2k

No.... Windows does not include a Bluetooth stack as standard, plus the
relevent drivers would be needed for whatever BT dongle you choose.

> and iMac comps to choose from.

Don't know.

Got any GNU/Linux systems around the place ?

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg
October 21, 2004 1:17:01 AM

On 2004-10-20 17:12:04 +0100, lordlucan_007@hotmail.com (djmike) said:

> Hey ,
> I have an nokia 6230 , bluetooth enabled phone.
> I wish to transfer mp3s,images....ect to my phone from college
> computers via bluetooth.
> I will NOT be able to run EXEs or install programs. i have preety much
> access to all other fuctions tho.
> Is there a plug and play bluetooth dongle that can fit these needs.
>
> I have a choice of Win XP Pro , Win2k and iMac comps to choose from.
>
> thanks in advance
>
> mike

Mac OS X comes complete with a Bluetooth stack as standard, so it's
simply a case of plugging in the Bluetooth usb dongle and start
tranferring the files.

I have very limited with Windows using Bluetooth but from what i saw it
wasn't easy as the person trying to get it working ended up taking the
dongle back as it was so complex.
October 21, 2004 1:38:21 AM

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:17:01 +0100, Stuart wrote:

> On 2004-10-20 17:12:04 +0100, lordlucan_007@hotmail.com (djmike) said:
>
>> Hey ,
>> I have an nokia 6230 , bluetooth enabled phone.
>> I wish to transfer mp3s,images....ect to my phone from college
>> computers via bluetooth.
>> I will NOT be able to run EXEs or install programs. i have preety much
>> access to all other fuctions tho.
>> Is there a plug and play bluetooth dongle that can fit these needs.
>>
>> I have a choice of Win XP Pro , Win2k and iMac comps to choose from.
>>
>> thanks in advance
>>
>> mike
>

> Mac OS X comes complete with a Bluetooth stack as standard, so it's
> simply a case of plugging in the Bluetooth usb dongle and start
> tranferring the files.

Does OS-X support all BT dongles, or are drivers still needed ?

> I have very limited with Windows using Bluetooth but from what i saw it
> wasn't easy as the person trying to get it working ended up taking the
> dongle back as it was so complex.

Actually for me it was very easy. I plugged in the BT dongle, got the
'New Hardware' screen, it found the dongle's driver-CD already placed in
the drive. And a few moments later, up comes 'My Bluetooth Places'. Paired
the phone, and away I go....

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg
October 21, 2004 3:22:35 AM

On 2004-10-20 21:38:21 +0100, michael turner <zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg> said:

> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:17:01 +0100, Stuart wrote:
>
>> On 2004-10-20 17:12:04 +0100, lordlucan_007@hotmail.com (djmike) said:
>>
>>> Hey ,
>>> I have an nokia 6230 , bluetooth enabled phone.
>>> I wish to transfer mp3s,images....ect to my phone from college
>>> computers via bluetooth.
>>> I will NOT be able to run EXEs or install programs. i have preety much
>>> access to all other fuctions tho.
>>> Is there a plug and play bluetooth dongle that can fit these needs.
>>>
>>> I have a choice of Win XP Pro , Win2k and iMac comps to choose from.
>>>
>>> thanks in advance
>>>
>>> mike
>>

>> Mac OS X comes complete with a Bluetooth stack as standard, so it's
>> simply a case of plugging in the Bluetooth usb dongle and start
>> tranferring the files.
>
> Does OS-X support all BT dongles, or are drivers still needed ?

As far as i know, all Bluetooth dongles are supported under OS X, i've
personally tried 4 different models and they all worked without drivers.

>> I have very limited with Windows using Bluetooth but from what i saw it
>> wasn't easy as the person trying to get it working ended up taking the
>> dongle back as it was so complex.
>
> Actually for me it was very easy. I plugged in the BT dongle, got the
> 'New Hardware' screen, it found the dongle's driver-CD already placed in
> the drive. And a few moments later, up comes 'My Bluetooth Places'. Paired
> the phone, and away I go....

Out of interest what Windows were you using? We were using Win2000 with
a Belkin BT adaptor, and it didn't want to work at all.
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 3:29:27 AM

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 23:22:35 +0100, Stuart wrote:

> Out of interest what Windows were you using? We were using Win2000 with
> a Belkin BT adaptor, and it didn't want to work at all.

XP Pro(without SP2), and the dongle is a cheapo 'Manhattan' branded one,
but uses Widcomm stack and drivers.

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 9:59:16 AM

Actually, Windows XP Service Pack 2 adds a blue tooth stack to Windows
but I am not sure where you can get a list of compatible dongles.

michael turner <zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg> wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:12:04 -0700, djmike wrote:
>
>> Hey ,
>>
>> I have an nokia 6230 , bluetooth enabled phone.
>> I wish to transfer mp3s,images....ect to my phone from college
>> computers via bluetooth.
>> I will NOT be able to run EXEs or install programs. i have preety much
>> access to all other fuctions tho.
>> Is there a plug and play bluetooth dongle that can fit these needs.
>>
>> I have a choice of Win XP Pro , Win2k
>
>No.... Windows does not include a Bluetooth stack as standard, plus the
>relevent drivers would be needed for whatever BT dongle you choose.
>
>> and iMac comps to choose from.
>
>Don't know.
>
>Got any GNU/Linux systems around the place ?
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 2:09:56 PM

lordlucan_007@hotmail.com (djmike) wrote in message news:<23868121.0410200812.ed51973@posting.google.com>...
> Hey ,
>
> I have an nokia 6230 , bluetooth enabled phone.
> I wish to transfer mp3s,images....ect to my phone from college
> computers via bluetooth.
> I will NOT be able to run EXEs or install programs. i have preety much
> access to all other fuctions tho.
> Is there a plug and play bluetooth dongle that can fit these needs.
>
> I have a choice of Win XP Pro , Win2k and iMac comps to choose from.
>
> thanks in advance
>
> mike

hey ,

thanks for your imput , i reckon i'll pick up a belkin dongle and try
it with them, all.
it seems the cheapest method and if it dont work , a dongle is a
useful devise to have with the 6230 around.

regards

the_dj
!