Sign in with
Your question

E5800 or x6800 with overclocking in mind

Last response: in CPUs
February 16, 2013 11:34:48 PM

Which is better for gaming with overclocking kept mind? The e5800 or the x6800... i'm super broke and i've managed to put together system for $130 ( asus mob, 8gb ram, gtx 275, 160gb wd caviar se, thermaltake heat sink, case w/ old dell xps 750w psu). I have the option to chose between the two cpus at no extra cost. Help Please.... Thanks in advance
February 17, 2013 12:42:55 AM

That's not even an issue for a debate.
E5800 (even though it was released later) is a much weaker CPU than the X6800, and X6800 is of "Extreme" line made especially for OverClocking enthusiasts.
E5800 has higher stock clock than X6800, but that's not significant at all, because x6800 has better performance per core (thus faster) and is a beast for OverClocking.
m
l
a c 152 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2013 12:44:17 AM

lethalish said:
Which is better for gaming with overclocking kept mind? The e5800 or the x6800... i'm super broke and i've managed to put together system for $130 ( asus mob, 8gb ram, gtx 275, 160gb wd caviar se, thermaltake heat sink, case w/ old dell xps 750w psu). I have the option to chose between the two cpus at no extra cost. Help Please.... Thanks in advance

What games are you playing and at what settings? Fact is that-that build really isn't that great. Both processors are old but the e5800 is the worse of the two processor. The video card is very old and out of date. I also suspect that the power supply is not that great either. I wouldn't want that build used let alone "new."
m
l
Related resources
February 17, 2013 12:52:09 AM

Rds1220: What part of "super-broke" you didn't get? Also, he can get X6800 FOR FREE...that's just...WOW (That beast cost 999$ at the release!).
m
l
a c 152 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2013 1:02:02 AM

I don't think he is getting it for free he said no extra cost, which means less than what it is worth. Also I think you are putting to much value in it, the fact is it doesn't matter if cost 1000 dollars 7 years ago. It is a Core 2 Duo, is is 7 years old and near the end of the line. My car cost over 30 thousand dollars in 2001 now I would be lucky to get 6 thousand for it because really who wants a car from 2001. If someone offered me 6000 and I said I want 25k because I paid 30k for it in 2001 they would say so what that was 12 years ago. I know he doesn't have the money but he is getting an old buid with an old processor, old video card and old DDR2 RAM. My advice to him is save up for something better instead of flushing mone down the toilet on a build from 2006.
m
l
February 17, 2013 1:17:52 AM

You're trying to apply casual real-world marketing science to hardware marketing science, these are two absolutely different things and hardware market doesn't work that way.
X6800 is a real beast and is quite of a capable processor even today. If you don't think that it is, that doesn't mean that everybody else in the world thinks just like you do.
It performed like a beast back then and that doesn't mean that it will perform much worse today. Of course, you wouldn't be able to run Max Payne 3/Far Cry 3 on all maximum maximums with 60FPS on it and with that GTX, but you could play something like Dragon Age Origins just fine, which, as far as I can tell, would totally satisfy OP.
In hardware market some products can stay in absolute actuality for five, ten, or even more (I personally know people who still use Pentium III and are absolutely fine with it) years! Look at Phenom II for the prime example. Can you seriously say it's not actual, especially considering that entire FX platform is a joke and absolute flop?
Phenoms sell like hot pies even today, every day. Not actual at all, uh-huh. :\
m
l
a c 152 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2013 1:40:58 AM

No it's not it is exactly the same. People will pay for what something is worth and like anything as things get older they lose value. A Core 2 Extreme is not worth as much either physically or technologically as it was 7 years ago. CPU's are more powerful, run alot cooler and use alot less power than the old Core CPU's. I would not want a Core 2 now just as in 8-10 years I wouldn't want a Sandy Bridges I7 even if it is an extreme edition. Games are only getting more demanding. How long do you really think a Core CPU will be able to keep up for? Probably not to much longer. They are getting to the point of almost being obsolete. As I said I would not bother with such old hardware. First you say that it would not perform much worse today than it did 7 years ago then you say it won't play games like Max Payne Far Cry and games like that at high settings at 60 FPS. Well that sure sounds like a difference in performance and a contridiction to me. I would save upc for something better.
m
l
February 17, 2013 4:22:51 AM

You guys make me laugh. I know it's out dated... but i think it's the best i can do with $130 as far as a gaming pc goes. I've had many setups, super overkill high end and mid range. I had to sell my gtx 570 sli 2500k setup because i lost my job. I need a computer to get me by and i figured if anything i could sell it easily for $200 and put it towards the next build when i have the means. Either way, the x6800 is the one i'm going with. Thanks for your input about the cpu ;) 
m
l
February 17, 2013 4:45:45 AM

So...for how much are you getting that X6800? Or really for free?
m
l
February 17, 2013 5:03:18 AM

I got everything besides the power supply, dvdrw and case and for $110 as a bundle. The guy just gave me the two different options for the CPU
m
l
February 17, 2013 5:06:59 AM

I meant that he wasn't going to charge me any extra for one over the other. Same price, different CPUs...
m
l
February 17, 2013 5:11:07 AM

So...you got that X6800 for 100$...DAYUM I'M JELLY. %)
It's like if you'd bought i7 3960X in 2018, for a miserable price of 20$...
m
l
!