Are these CPU temps normal?

Hello, I built a new gaming PC 2 days ago. It has a 3570k processor, which I have NOT overclocked. The heatsink I bought has a built in fan controller knob on it. During the build I just left it alone and did not adjust the heatsink fan speed via that control knob. In fact, I don't even know if it is set up to full blast or all the way down or somewhere in between, because I didn't even touch it.

I have been curious about how my CPU temps are, I want to be sure everything is alright. So I downloaded coretemp and prime95. at absolute idle, my cpu cores (according to coretemp) are ranging from 26-34 degrees in temperature. (Those are the max temp readings in coretemp). After running prime 95 on the heat setting for half an hour the max temps ranged from 53-61 degrees.

I will also add that the case I chose for my build (corsair 600t white) has a built in fan controller for its 2 200mm fans and rear fan, the fan controller was set to around 40% during my temp testing.

I have never built a pc until this one, nor have I ever monitored my computer's temperatures, so I don't really know what the norm is. I just want to know if these temps seem to be good for my processor?

Also, I am considering doing an overclock to 4 or 4.2 ghz. What are the max temps I would want to see at a max load on prime 95 after overclocking? And if I overclock, and find that I am getting a little hot, should I turn up the fan speed of my heatsink or just turn up the fan speed on my case's fan controller?

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter, I appreciate it!
4 answers Last reply
More about temps normal
  1. rowdymoody said:
    Hello, I built a new gaming PC 2 days ago. It has a 3570k processor, which I have NOT overclocked. The heatsink I bought has a built in fan controller knob on it. During the build I just left it alone and did not adjust the heatsink fan speed via that control knob. In fact, I don't even know if it is set up to full blast or all the way down or somewhere in between, because I didn't even touch it.

I have been curious about how my CPU temps are, I want to be sure everything is alright. So I downloaded coretemp and prime95. at absolute idle, my cpu cores (according to coretemp) are ranging from 26-34 degrees in temperature. (Those are the max temp readings in coretemp). After running prime 95 on the heat setting for half an hour the max temps ranged from 53-61 degrees.

I will also add that the case I chose for my build (corsair 600t white) has a built in fan controller for its 2 200mm fans and rear fan, the fan controller was set to around 40% during my temp testing.

I have never built a pc until this one, nor have I ever monitored my computer's temperatures, so I don't really know what the norm is. I just want to know if these temps seem to be good for my processor?

Also, I am considering doing an overclock to 4 or 4.2 ghz. What are the max temps I would want to see at a max load on prime 95 after overclocking? And if I overclock, and find that I am getting a little hot, should I turn up the fan speed of my heatsink or just turn up the fan speed on my case's fan controller?

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter, I appreciate it!

Those temps are fine for both idle and under load.
  2. yeah max for ivy is 105 so keep it below 90 and you'll never have trouble (and those temps are really decent)
  3. Intel i5 3570K (Stock)
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (1 Fan)
    Antec P280 (2 Top fans, 1 Rear)

I ran a Prime95 Blend test for one hour and these are the results according to RealTemp and HW Monitor:

Real Temp 3.70
    Core 0, 1, 2, 3 : 48, 52, 50, 53 - Minimum
    Core 0, 1, 2, 3 : 62, 67, 63, 66 - Maximum
    Core 0, 1, 2, 3 : 62, 57, 61, 58 - Average

HW Monitor
    Package Temp: Core 0, 1, 2, 3: 60, 28, 67

This information is a re-post from Toms forum and should help you with your concerns.
  4. Perfectly fine temps. Everything is well within spec
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Fan Controller