forgettythatty

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
I was goin with the nforce, but then I just happened to win a mobo (www.xppcentral.com), and now I got to buy a sound card. I have heard creative is good, but what do you guys recommend. No more than $120 max! How exactly do these cards make stuff sound better? Like DFX for winamp makes winamp sound better, but you don't need hardware for that. Kinda get what I mean? Why pay for an expensive sound card?

G

When you pay a lot for a sound card, it's usually for the software bundle. If you don't need the software bundle, go with a Sound Blaster Live! Value. All the capability of the rest of the line, but cheap because it has no bundle (except the card s-ware, of course).

<font color=blue>Jesus saves...</font color=blue><font color=red>and takes half damage!</font color=red>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>> All the capability of the rest of the line

Not really, there is no Digital input from CD ROM on the card as it is on the rest of the line.. just a hint.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

DISTURBED

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
If your looking to play CDs and your S/C doesn't have CD-in, you can get a WinAmp plug-in called "CD Reader" (from www.winamp.com) that'll give your CD quality music.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I recommend the Hercules Game Theatre XP. I just got it a couple of weeks ago, and it's all I've been talking about in this forum :)
~$100 at <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com" target="_new">Newegg</A>

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

G

the turtle beach card is really good for the money and it
supports 6 speakers you can check it out at
http://www.voyetra-turtle-beach.com/site/products/santacru/

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I recommend any of the Vortex2 cards, including the Aureal SQ2500, Diamond MX300, and Turtle Beach Montego II. It uses A3D 2.0 which is better than EAX for sound positioning, and has a built in hardware equalizer (software interfaced).

Back to you Tom...