Do I NEED to get a 2560 monitor for my 690?

djnardu

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
So i took the plunge and decided to get a GTX 690.

My thought process was that I should be able to max out and hit solid frame rates with all games now and most games to come for a few years. To futureproof myself.

Im being told now that the 690 is pretty much a waste without a IPS monitor. Now I understand the thought process of best card out there should play at the best resolution. But is it worth the 700+ dollars for a monitor?

My also other main concern is upping the resolution would of course tax my card more. Right now its not a big deal but say in a year or so when games that I would probably be able to max at 1920x1080 or so are now stressing the card at 2560x1440.

So what do you think? Should I just go ahead and get myself a decent IPS monitor, or stick with my original plan of amazing card that will last me awhile at 1920x1080

Bejusek

Distinguished
@djnardu Who told you that? Sure, IPS monitors offer much better picture than TN-based panels in terms of color accuracy and viewing angles. But as far as gaming is concerned tn's are unmatched in signal processing speed, pixel color transition speed and refresh rates.

Some IPS panels have too high input lag to play comfortably as they are designed for professionals working with image processing and not for hardcore gamers.

2560x1440 resolution is also dedicated for graphic designers etc. It doesn't mean you can't use it for gaming but believe me that switch from 1920x1080 to 2560x1440 may be a shock for you - I definitely recommend going to some stores and see it for yourself before buying.

Generally, for gaming I would recommend you a good 120Hz TN panel. They feel much smoother than regular 60Hz ones. Choose a 27" 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 (if one exists).

djnardu

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006

So you would recommend a 120Hz monitor over a IPS monitor?

Is it worth keeping my 27 LED Acer or is an upgrade either 120Hz or IPS inevitable? lol

Bejusek

Distinguished

120Hz over IPS for gaming - yes, definitely with card like gtx 690.

Is your Acer worth upgrading? I don't think so. 120Hz isn't a revolution, it just gives you a smoother feel.
If you'd like to try them anyway, have a look at Benq XL2420T and ASUS VG278H, they both are highly recommended gaming monitors.
Maybe order them with option to return if you don't like them. Same concerns IPS, you could try one and return if it's not what you expect.

As for catleap, suggested by hellfire, or in fact any other similar Korean invention, it may look as a good deal, but there are some things worth considering:
- it's s-ips monitor, input lag, color accuracy unknown, there are no professional tests available,
- no osd menu, no adjustments possible except video card settings,
- only one input,
- problems with warranty, if you get defective monitor, you have to send it back at your own expense despite what it says in auction (google some forum topics and read for yourself),
- 60Hz

I thought about buying one for myself but I found it not worth my nerves.