Sign in with
Your question

Good PC For bf3 ultra?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 13, 2012 8:55:16 AM

Sorry if I am in the wrong section but I am trying to build a computer but need to find of will this rig do what I want. If it can not please tell me what I need to get better parts.

Intel Core i3-2120 CPU
Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2 Motherboard
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W Power Supply
Antec Three Hundred Case
Sony DVD Burner
Molex Adapter
EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti Superclocked 1024 MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 2DVI/Mini-HDMI SLI Ready Graphics Card, 01G-P3-1557-KR
8 or 12 gb of ram.

So help me out and tell me what I need to update.

More about : good bf3 ultra

August 13, 2012 9:00:59 AM

Dont get and i3. And 550 ti isn't that great of a card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 9:14:07 AM

ComradeGrimm said:
Dont get and i3. And 550 ti isn't that great of a card.

True. I would not get that CPU. BF3 on Ultra is a big job. You really need to get a high end cpu and gpu to get that job done.

- Fastreaction
m
l
Related resources
August 13, 2012 9:16:19 AM

I replied to my own post lol
m
l
August 13, 2012 9:16:58 AM

fastreaction said:
True. I would not get that CPU. BF3 on Ultra is a big job. You really need to get a high end cpu and gpu to get that job done.

- Fastreaction

Sorry I ment 7770 or the 7850 but can you tell me why the i3 can not run it. I am new to computers and I herd if you just overclock it you will be good.
m
l
August 13, 2012 9:18:34 AM

definitely get a better Gcard. i3? really? go fro an i5 they are best for gaming and i7's are great for overclocking and huge video files and video editing :)  definitely invest in these and you'll be running Battlefield 3 on ultra like a champ.
Graphics cards i'd recommend:
-GTX 660 (when it comes out)
-GTX 670 (little bit expensive but a huge performer)
m
l
August 13, 2012 9:19:55 AM

Gudy said:
Sorry I ment 7770 or the 7850 but can you tell me why the i3 can not run it. I am new to computers and I herd if you just overclock it you will be good.

So... your new to computers and u wanna overclock? wow sorry but that's just not going to turn out very well unless you have these things:
-Skills, training and knowledge in overclocking
-Proper aftermarket cooler something like a coolermaster hyper 212
-and a better CPU i3 is definitely not what you want for gaming :) 

:hello: 
m
l
August 13, 2012 9:22:15 AM

Frustrated n confused said:
definitely get a better Gcard. i3? really? go fro an i5 they are best for gaming and i7's are great for overclocking and huge video files and video editing :)  definitely invest in these and you'll be running Battlefield 3 on ultra like a champ.
Graphics cards i'd recommend:
-GTX 660 (when it comes out)
-GTX 670 (little bit expensive but a huge performer)

Overall if i get a i5 and get the amd 7850 or something else i should be could or need a better graphics card
m
l
August 13, 2012 9:25:55 AM

So... your new to computers and u wanna overclock? wow sorry but that's just not going to turn out very well unless you have these things:

long story short, just get a i5 and i should be set
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 9:27:52 AM

True. However, if you got patience and read a lot of guides, it is easily done :) . I wouldn't recommend a beginner to begin overclocking though, you might screw up your new pc..

Gudy said:
Overall if i get a i5 and get the amd 7850 or something else i should be could or need a better graphics card

Post the parts you plan to buy. There are a lot of i5's out there ;) 

- Fastreaction
m
l
August 13, 2012 9:39:45 AM

fastreaction said:
True. However, if you got patience and read a lot of guides, it is easily done :) . I wouldn't recommend a beginner to begin overclocking though, you might screw up your new pc..

Post the parts you plan to buy. There are a lot of i5's out there ;) 

- Fastreaction
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-2500K-Quad-Core-Processo...
m
l
August 13, 2012 9:51:20 AM

Gudy said:
long story short, just get a i5 and i should be set

Yes absolutely :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 10:01:17 AM

What is your monitor?
Ultra on 1920x1080 or 1366x768 ?

If 1080 then 550Ti is possible but at low fps...not suitable for real play.
If 60fps is target on Ultra (with 1080p) then 7870 or 670.
m
l
August 13, 2012 10:01:36 AM

The A8-3870K with a hd-7850 would be faster for gaming and easier to set up.

Look for on sale motherboard/A8-3870K bundles they are often less than the price of a i5 cpu alone.

You will need a decent cooler to overclock either the i5 or A8 because the bundled coolers are really poor especially amd's cooler.

For this build it's better to spend more on the card than the cpu and board.

The i5's are good, but you really only need a i5 for something like a hd-7950, 7970 or geforce 670 or 680.

The A8-3870K is easy to overclock and most boards have easy overclock settings.
Make sure you test it with prime95+furmark for 10 mins. If it passes, its ok.

A all amd system means you only need amd's chipset software, and software for the graphics, and the realtek drivers for the sound and lan.
Amd's site has a autodetect software feature too.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 10:04:28 AM

envy14tpe said:
What is your monitor?
Ultra on 1920x1080 or 1366x768 ?

If 1080 then 550Ti is possible but at low fps...not suitable for real play.
If 60fps is target on Ultra (with 1080p) then 7870 or 670.

Actually even a 670 has problems keeping that game on solid 60fps. I own that card so I know how it goes ;)  Fps drops from time to time so you have to put down some settings.

- Fastreaction
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 10:05:08 AM

need4speeds said:

The A8-3870K is easy to overclock and most boards have easy overclock settings.
Make sure you test it with prime95+furmark for 10 mins. If it passes, its ok.

Do NOT listen to him. If you are testing it for 10 mins then do not bother overclocking at all. 10 mins? Are you serious? Atleast 12 hours prime 95 on 90% RAM and 30 passes on IBT. I don't recommend him to begin with overclocking at all, just get your thing working first ;) 

- Fastreaction
m
l
August 13, 2012 10:11:01 AM

Stick to either gigabyte or asus boards too.

That gigabyte h61 chipset board you picked is a piece of junk. It is to do with intel's budget chipsets being poor. It also wont work with the i5-3570K.

This is the reason i am recommending amd here. Amd's chipsets are better and less buggy than intel's. Sometimes speed is not everything.

m
l
August 13, 2012 10:12:07 AM

10 mins is usually fine. That budget Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W Power Supply wont take full load for 24hours.

So what do you want me to say? Burn out your budget power supply?

I meant a mild overlclock like the preset asus 3.3ghz one for the A8. Not a ultimate hardcore overclock.

P.S. If you have not yet bought a case and power supply, it is best to stick with either Antec or Corsair.
There is a antec case that includes a 500 watt antec power supply.

Still there is no need to run full cpu+gpu load for more than 10 mins, it is hard on your board, power supply, and graphics card. Lots of people have burnt their systems out running those extreme tests for many hours needlessly.

Games rarely ever work a system that hard, so playing games is another test. If it crashes during gaming then you need to check your settings again. That would be the only time you might run those tests for longer. Playing BF3 is a good test anyway.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 10:15:08 AM

need4speeds said:
10 mins is usually fine. That budget Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W Power Supply wont take full load for 24hours.

So what do you want me to say? Burn out your budget power supply?

I meant a mild overlclock like the preset asus 3.3ghz one for the A8. Not a ultimate hardcore overclock.

Sorry dude but I don't want to start a discussion but to get a stable overclock you do not just test for 10 mins. Its okay if you are still trying some clocks but NOT as a final overclock. Better to get BSOD's now than while in a game... The thread starter should not even bother with overclocking for now at all....

- Fastreaction
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 10:18:42 AM

fastreaction said:
Actually even a 670 has problems keeping that game on solid 60fps. I own that card so I know how it goes ;)  Fps drops from time to time so you have to put down some settings.

- Fastreaction

You can't get consistent 60fps with a 670? Really? Are you talking about 64 player games? I know the more players the more problems with keeping up with fps, but I assumed the 670 could handle anything.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 10:28:16 AM

envy14tpe said:
You can't get consistent 60fps with a 670? Really? Are you talking about 64 player games? I know the more players the more problems with keeping up with fps, but I assumed the 670 could handle anything.

It can handle most games yeah but BF3 is a heavy beast. Solid 60fps on ultra everything is too much on 64 player games on a map like caspian border but also on other maps like metro. It will drop from time to time and rise up again. 50-60 fps and sometimes drop to 40's. Put some settings down and it should be better.

- Fastreaction
m
l
August 13, 2012 11:58:51 AM

fastreaction said:
It can handle most games yeah but BF3 is a heavy beast. Solid 60fps on ultra everything is too much on 64 player games on a map like caspian border but also on other maps like metro. It will drop from time to time and rise up again. 50-60 fps and sometimes drop to 40's. Put some settings down and it should be better.

- Fastreaction

I am just going to listen to you and not overclock yet. and to clear things up. every thing I am set to buy is good for bf3. even since it will not stay a 60 fps. and is 40 fps good for still keeping up with others, or should i get the card you have. last thing is should i get another motherboard if so which one should i get for my set up. all i'm asking is what should stay and what should go.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 12:39:57 PM

Okay I would recommend to get a GTX 670. Your CPU is fine. Spend your money on that card and run your games on ultra. I have everything on ultra and it plays fine. The fps is just not solid 60fps (Every single gpu card would have problems keeping BF3 on that fps..) but perfectly PLAYABLE. They will probably fix the fps drop issues when they release new drivers since a lot of people are having fps drop issues but still it is a great card. That power supply might be a problem but I would just get that gpu first and play and see if you get any problems. I honestly do not see a difference when it suddenly drops from 60 to 50 and then to 45 or something and then back to 50. Like I said it is perfectly playable on ultra.

About overclocking, I don't even know why somebody brought that up but get that gpu and play your things and when you get things running and you want more.. then you should read guides about overclocking.

Quick edit: It seems like his I3 is not bad at all. Check some hierarchy charts. If he gets problems later on he can upgrade it later..

- Fastreaction
m
l
August 13, 2012 1:20:00 PM

A 670 and i5 will both use more power, that power supply wont be enough.
The cost is also high.

The A8-3870K/hd-7850 combo would be cheaper and use less power. And what game wont run well on that with reasonably high settings?

Do you really need to play at 1080p on ultra with 16af/aa settings?

It would be smart to download some screenshots first to see if you can tell the difference. Often it is so small you can't tell when you are busy playing the game anyway. I run most games at either 2x aa/af, or 4x aa/af, and mostly high details but not ultra or the highest unless the framerates are way above 60fps.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 1:24:03 PM

@OP,i posted a link that shows the correct way of asking advice for a new build,fill the form for a better result.
m
l
August 13, 2012 5:11:50 PM

fastreaction said:
Okay I would recommend to get a GTX 670. Your CPU is fine. Spend your money on that card and run your games on ultra. I have everything on ultra and it plays fine. The fps is just not solid 60fps (Every single gpu card would have problems keeping BF3 on that fps..) but perfectly PLAYABLE. They will probably fix the fps drop issues when they release new drivers since a lot of people are having fps drop issues but still it is a great card. That power supply might be a problem but I would just get that gpu first and play and see if you get any problems. I honestly do not see a difference when it suddenly drops from 60 to 50 and then to 45 or something and then back to 50. Like I said it is perfectly playable on ultra.

About overclocking, I don't even know why somebody brought that up but get that gpu and play your things and when you get things running and you want more.. then you should read guides about overclocking.

Quick edit: It seems like his I3 is not bad at all. Check some hierarchy charts. If he gets problems later on he can upgrade it later..

- Fastreaction
Ok thanks! A New power supply, what do you have since now i'm leaning to the 670 instead and which type of motherboard do you have. Can the case fit this stuff?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 9:37:47 PM

I have 600W but 500W is the minimum. I would just try it out and if it doesn't work well you could change your power supply. Your case should be fine. To be 100% sure, just measure the amount of space you have in your case and check if it is enough for your GTX 670 (there are a lot of different kinds of GTX 670's).

- Fastreaction
m
l
August 13, 2012 9:41:25 PM

Gudy said:
Ok thanks! A New power supply, what do you have since now i'm leaning to the 670 instead and which type of motherboard do you have. Can the case fit this stuff?

I would suggest at least a high quality 600w, but you might as well get a 700w. Also get the 670 FTW its better then the regular 670. And its worth noting that BF3 High and Ultra look the same. Ultra is only useful for bench-marking.
m
l
!