RDRAM Question

G

I just bought a new pc, a Sony Vaio (ek a computer in one box, something I said I would never do again... but there's a long story there). Anyway its a p4 1.7, and has installed 128 megs of rdram. I would like to upgrade to 512, there are 4 slots in two banks(channels), don't know the precise terminology, and there are currently two 64 rimms, along with two continuity rimms. Now if i wanted 512 i would need a 256 rimm and a 128 rimm. Would that work, sounds screwy to me, but i don't know anything about rdram. The rimms that are in there are NEC's but I don't know if they are ecc or not, would i need to find out and get the same kind of brand(nec) and/or ecc? Any info appreciated.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Because the i850 chipset in your motherboard uses dual memory channels, you must install the memory in pairs of equal size. Your easiest upgrade would be to buy two 256MB memory modules and either sell or use the two 64MB modules you already have.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

G

that is correct you have to fill banks with correct size and parity, a good place is to go to you local library and check into an upgrading and troubleshooting manuel thier are lots of good ones out their

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
No library will have any information on something as new as the i850 chipset and RDRAM.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =