Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Plan for new build (picture, video, Full HD) - need advices

Last response: in CPUs
February 17, 2013 5:48:24 AM

Hello

My english is not good so i will make them simple.

I'm planning a new build for my dad. He is an architect leader, here is what he does for client.

1. Fast image viewer, some of his picture from Cannon 1DX can be extremely large. And he wants it view picture as fast as possible.

2. His computer will connect both a monitor and 60inch LCD TV as well.

3. Some video Full HD, some autocad.

My advice is what is the best combination of CPU, GPU and RAM. Does APU from AMD is good choice? Does CPU + GPU make view picture faster? What is the best GPU for a 60inch LCD? What RAM bus should i need? I need these information then i can discuss with my dad for budget. If i need to spend more i will spend more.

Best regards from Vietnam

Thanks all readers :)  :D 
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2013 6:09:58 AM

What is your budget and where can you order from?

I would consider an FX8320 (chepaer and better than i5 AFAIK for CAD) with a this gen 7200rpm HDD (caviar blue or seagate barracuda, even toshiba if its cheap) since you want the CAD stuff and pics could fill any SSD really quickly

For GPU look into a card with a good bus and lots of VRAM depending on the size and scale of the stuff you're working on. AFAIK, AMD and Nvidia both do fine for CAD

Any ram should do fine but might want to consider 16GB instead of just 8GB

For a budget build an APU would do fine and not require you to grab a discrete card (though mem bandwidth may be an issue in CAD?)
m
l
February 17, 2013 6:59:29 AM

stickmansam said:
What is your budget and where can you order from?

I would consider an FX8320 (chepaer and better than i5 AFAIK for CAD) with a this gen 7200rpm HDD (caviar blue or seagate barracuda, even toshiba if its cheap) since you want the CAD stuff and pics could fill any SSD really quickly

For GPU look into a card with a good bus and lots of VRAM depending on the size and scale of the stuff you're working on. AFAIK, AMD and Nvidia both do fine for CAD

Any ram should do fine but might want to consider 16GB instead of just 8GB

For a budget build an APU would do fine and not require you to grab a discrete card (though mem bandwidth may be an issue in CAD?)

Budget is not really important since my dad is richer than me :p , what i need is a build that can convince him.

I just do a quick search and FX8320 is strong with eight cores. Next, my dad is old so what he does is just looking at stuff to show his clients and staffs. He does not touch any editing from CAD. He just looking. . So does eight cores is way too much or just fine. Consider next gen AMD coming soon. Any backward compatible with AM3+?

APU is fine? But can it handle 60inch? My dad computer is filled with 16TB of pictures, does faster CPU like FX handles OS significally faster?

Thanks so much for your reply.

m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2013 7:05:52 AM

I suggest fx 6300 cpu for that work.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
February 17, 2013 7:15:45 AM

The FX6300 will do fine and next gen is supposed to be comapitble with am3+ AFAIK

APU can handle it since the screen size is irrelvant, the resolution is the key
(1080p 20inch and 108060inch take same graphics power to run)
APU would do okay if you get the highest end one though discrete graphics would be faster

Maybe an FX6300 paired with an 7750/7770 with 16GB of ram

Yep an CPU can help speed up OS but SSD is best for that
February 17, 2013 8:22:35 AM

Best answer selected by ryantoss.
m
l
!