prateekcool007

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Hi All

I am building a Budgeted Rig (for Development, Multimedia, Web Browsing purpose). I find my usage (since I have a PS3 I am not expecting my rig to be a Heavy Duty gaming Machine).
I want your expert opinion on the parts (and system as a Whole) of my desktop.

Motherboard: AsRock z77 Extreme4
Processor: Intel Core i5 3550 (3rd gen)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance (1600) 4GB X 2
HDD: Seagate Barracuda SATA3 (6Gbps) 2TB ST2000DM001 (7200.14)
PSU: Cooler Master Thunder 500W (6 SATA connectors)
2 Additional 120mm FANS (Cooler Master)
Cabinet: Cooler Master Elite 370
Monitor: Samsung 20" (wide) LED (with VGA and DVI)
UPS: APC 1100 VA Back UPS

I plan to add on a cheap(<140$) GPU in future (2 Months). So please suggest which one should I go for.
(Just to add my Mobo supports SLI, Quad SLI, Crossfire, Quad Crossfire).

Solution
The machine will be plenty for that kind of usage.

Monitor is not ideal, a 1600x900 resolution. But since high definition graphics isnt what the rigs for, guess this doesn't overly matter.

That makes more sense now.
The Extreme4 does not support Quad Crossfire/SLI. It has the slots sure, but two of them run at x1 bandwidth, massive bottleneck if you tried. The Extreme4 is only good for dual Crossfire/SLI.

So this is essentially an office machine, with the most intensive usage being essentially Microsoft Office programs, movies and web browsing.
You could get away with much lesser hardware.

Core i3, H77 motherboard and 4GB of RAM (Though no reason not to get 8GB, only $20 difference).

HDD is good.

PSU is a no. Coolermaster PSU's, especially their lower end supply's, arent the best.
Corsair Builder 500W. $60 ($10 rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

Case+Fans is good

Bit more info on the monitor will be needed.

Why a UPS to protect such a low end machine?

A good GPU for this kind of rig would be a HD7770.

prateekcool007

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Hi manofchalk

Thanks for your insight. I just wish I had posted this before buying the parts.
Most of my usage will be Application Development (Desktop/Web).
Torrent downloads (movies) and Watching them.

Details on Monitor:
Samsung 20" LED S20B300B

I had to buy a UPS (as I am located in India) because we face $#@^@* Power Failures at random times.
(Even after paying so much of taxes)

I didnt want to lose any component to sudden outage.

No, currently don't have the cash to drop $260 for another card. Besides, don't have an Eyefinity setup or a 120hz monitor to justify Crossfire.
Current plans for upgrading my graphics is to get a HD8970, maybe a month or two after release (December-ish release).
Will likely sell the 7870 off to a friend, at least one of them I know is building a rig around new year. Imagine a $175 1/2yr old 7870 that's can clock to 1150Mhz would be a pretty good deal.

TRENDING THREADS