Sign in with
Your question

New build with 2000$ please help

Last response: in Systems
October 4, 2012 5:43:02 AM

Hi all, I want to ask with $ 2,000 this laptop is the best I can get for extreme gaming?

I saw some pages that other brands are better
Why?
hardware is not everything?

Display 15.6" Full HD LED-Backlit Display with Super Glossy Surface (1920 x 1080)
Video & Graphics Card Nvidia GeForce GTX 680M GPU with 4GB GDDR5 Video Memory [$495.00]
CPU Processor 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3740QM Processor ( 6MB L3 Cache, 2.70GHz) [$170.00]
Thermal Compound Stock Standard Thermal Compound
Operating System Genuine MS Windows® 7 Home Premium 32/64-Bit Edition ( 64-Bit Preloaded )
Memory 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 4GB
Primary Hard Disk Drive 500GB 7200rpm SATA2 Hard Drive
mSATA SSD Drive — For Intel Smart Response Technology None
Optical Drive Bay — Optical Drive or Hard Disk Drive in Optical Drive Bay with Caddy case 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
Wireless Network Card Killer™ Wireless-N 1103 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module [$60.00]
Primary Battery Smart Li-ION Battery Pack
Integrated Security Device Fingerprint Reader
Microsoft Office Microsoft Office Starter 2010 - Included in Price
Warranty Sager 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty

More about : build 2000

October 4, 2012 5:55:07 AM

Looks capable,I think the problem is they're charging a high premium to put it together for you. Invest in the biggest battery while you're at it,and if you don't mind that there's cheaper laptops then go ahead and buy.
m
l
October 4, 2012 6:21:50 AM

ricardo18rojas said:
Hi all, I want to ask with $ 2,000 this laptop is the best I can get for extreme gaming?

I saw some pages that other brands are better
Why?
hardware is not everything?

Display 15.6" Full HD LED-Backlit Display with Super Glossy Surface (1920 x 1080)
Video & Graphics Card Nvidia GeForce GTX 680M GPU with 4GB GDDR5 Video Memory [$495.00]
CPU Processor 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3740QM Processor ( 6MB L3 Cache, 2.70GHz) [$170.00]
Thermal Compound Stock Standard Thermal Compound
Operating System Genuine MS Windows® 7 Home Premium 32/64-Bit Edition ( 64-Bit Preloaded )
Memory 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 4GB
Primary Hard Disk Drive 500GB 7200rpm SATA2 Hard Drive
mSATA SSD Drive — For Intel Smart Response Technology None
Optical Drive Bay — Optical Drive or Hard Disk Drive in Optical Drive Bay with Caddy case 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
Wireless Network Card Killer™ Wireless-N 1103 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module [$60.00]
Primary Battery Smart Li-ION Battery Pack
Integrated Security Device Fingerprint Reader
Microsoft Office Microsoft Office Starter 2010 - Included in Price
Warranty Sager 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty

You sacrafice alot of time and preformance to game on a laptop. I MEAN ALOT.
If you had to buy a laptop, look up ASUS and MSI latops.
1YR warranty looks low.

May I ask why you need a laptop? After overclocking, desktops run much cooler, quieter, and much faster. Everything is underclocked and hot. If you want "extreme gaming" as you say, I would think about it.
m
l
Related resources
October 4, 2012 4:41:39 PM

xtwiinky said:
You sacrafice alot of time and preformance to game on a laptop. I MEAN ALOT.
If you had to buy a laptop, look up ASUS and MSI latops.
1YR warranty looks low.

May I ask why you need a laptop? After overclocking, desktops run much cooler, quieter, and much faster. Its somewhat like a Nintendo Wii vs a DS difference. Everything is underclocked and hot. If you want "extreme gaming" as you say, I would think about it.

well I need a laptop for my work, and I'm DJing with it, but a asus? or msi?, are very expensive for what little I get compared to sager not? I see sites that put the razer blade as one of the best, and what I see in it are old things, my question is if the nvidia gtx680m and the i7-3740QM and 8GB of RAM is the best I can get right now with $ 2,000?
m
l
October 4, 2012 10:18:00 PM

ricardo18rojas said:
well I need a laptop for my work, and I'm DJing with it, but a asus? or msi?, are very expensive for what little I get compared to sager not? I see sites that put the razer blade as one of the best, and what I see in it are old things, my question is if the nvidia gtx680m and the i7-3740QM and 8GB of RAM is the best I can get right now with $ 2,000?

Most games don't use above 4GB of Ram, so most people on desktops get only 8GB of RAM.

Im not too familiar with laptop CPU's, or how well Mobile video cards match their desktop models.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-3740QM-Noteb...
m
l
October 5, 2012 6:47:41 PM

ricardo18rojas said:

Yes and Yes. Both are top of the line. Would you see the difference with an Asus with the same card and ram and a lesser i7? Nope.
m
l
October 6, 2012 1:59:53 AM

allanitomwesh said:
Yes and Yes. Both are top of the line. Would you see the difference with an Asus with the same card and ram and a lesser i7? Nope.

Hyperthreading is never used. Different card manufacters (Asus, msi etc) only effect the cooling and overclocking stability, something your not worrying about. This computer should be much much better than a large majority of PC's out there. The GTX680 is the single fastest reference card in the world.
m
l
!