Sign in with
Your question

Asus Nvidia 550Ti temperature too high while playing BF3

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 13, 2012 9:55:22 AM

Hi,

I play Battlefield 3 on high settings on multiplayer and single player on ultra but the graphics card temp. reaches 70c and above and stays there during gameplay... also the Cpu reaches above 70c and remains constant ...

How do i get this down ?

I dont want to get my graphics setting down at all...

What hardware do u guys suggest ?

Thank you in advance...... plz help ... i dont wanna blow my card...... :)  ;) 
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 10:02:50 AM

I think its your case and your cpu cooler. I assume you are using the stock cooler. Get a better cooler and a better case to get your temps down.

- Fastreaction
m
l
August 13, 2012 10:10:47 AM

my cpu cooler is the stock one........

the case is a cooler master elite 310

i dont wanna change the case.. cuz i ll have to build the whole pc again....

but how will the cpu cooler affect the gfx card temps ?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 10:14:11 AM

You said your cpu reaches above 70c :p 

- Fastreaction
m
l
August 13, 2012 10:18:35 AM

i mean the processor
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 10:22:39 AM

I think you are confusing things. You have 2 things, a GPU and a CPU. A gpu is the graphics proccesing unit and CPU your central proccesing unit. Basically a Graphics card (like a GTX 670) and a processor (like an i5-2500k).

I read your thread and I thought you meant that your gpu and cpu are having high temps so you better get another case and a better cpu cooler.

- Fastreaction
m
l
August 13, 2012 11:09:45 AM

yeah u got it right... but i dont wanna change the case... i can get a good cpu cooler.. can you recommend me some ? my budget is very limited....

and so what abt the gpu ?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 11:14:15 AM

Well the best thing to do is to change the case. I understand that you have to put everything over and it is easy but not if you have never done it before ;) . Even if you change the CPU cooler, I think your gpu is still going to be hot. The case should get the temps lower. Those temps shouldn't blow up anything but it is just not recommened for long time use under those temperatures.

- Fastreaction
m
l
August 13, 2012 11:14:54 AM

i ve done it before but only once... i dont wanna do it again ... i dont know if u know what i mean but its a pain in the arse...

please choose the cooler...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 11:20:14 AM

I have done it twice and I love to do it but it just takes time :p . You could change your CPU cooler to a NOCTUA NH D 14. I still recommend you to change cases though since even if you get a good cpu cooler, that heat still gets into your case and so is the heat of your gpu and that case should move the heat outside of your case. I don't think changing the CPU cooler alone will make the temps down without changing that case. I recommend you do change the case ( I know it is annoying for you but you do it once and saves you a lot of trouble) and change your CPU cooler to a noctua nh d 14 if there is enough space in your case.

- Fastreaction
m
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 11:21:40 AM

divJ said:
Hi,

I play Battlefield 3 on high settings on multiplayer and single player on ultra but the graphics card temp. reaches 70c and above and stays there during gameplay... also the Cpu reaches above 70c and remains constant ...

How do i get this down ?

mine gets towards 70c while gaming also. it is perfectly with in specs for the card. (up to 90c) though i use percisionX from evga to run the fan at 100% to keep it around 62c while gaming. you can also use afterburner to adjust the fan.
m
l
a c 144 U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 11:23:21 AM

divJ said:
Hi,

How do i get this down ?

70c under full load is quite good. if you were using some high end don't be surprise to see the temp to reach 80c or 90c under full load. just make sure you have proper air flow for your case. make sure you have intake (front bottom) and out-take (rear top, under psu) fan for your case. you can add fan on the side panel as well if you want to bring extra fresh air for the gpu as well. as for the cpu you can look up for after market cooler if you want better temps. something like CM Hyper 212 should be good
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 11:24:56 AM

The best thing you can do without changing case is to add fans to the side panels pulling air into the case, this should be the cheapest and easiets fix.
m
l
August 13, 2012 11:26:16 AM

also a 550ti max operating temp is 90c. your well within the safe zone.
m
l
August 13, 2012 11:54:25 AM

okay let me give u guys the specs...

AMD FX 4100

CORSAIR CX 430

ASUS M5A78L-M LX

ASUS NVIDIA 550Ti 1GB

CORSAIR VENGEANCE 4GB

and

COOLER MASTER ELITE 310

In the case i have 1 stock cpu cooler, 1 stock chassis fan, 1 after market cooler master chassis fan on the side panel - outtake

I am also thinkin to put 4GB ram in there too.. is it needed ?

m
l
August 13, 2012 11:55:41 AM

Also, I use MSI afterburner and fan remains at 100% after 55c
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 12:08:25 PM

somebody is NOT paying attention. 70c is horse manure. no need to buy a new case. the card is running within specs. want the card to run cooler turn settings back so it won't work so hard. and when you say you play on "ultra" list the resolution you're playing at............. like maybe 800x600 ?
m
l
August 13, 2012 1:11:35 PM

1152x864
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 1:12:47 PM

To be clear. Those temperatures do not KILL your gpu or cpu BUT if you want your temps to be lower, get a new case and a new cpu cooler.

- Fastreaction
m
l
August 13, 2012 1:19:13 PM

Yeah, as Swifty Morgan says, forget the GPU, 70 degrees is fine for that, it'll go on for years at that temp, only need worry if you're 80-90 really. Nvidia quote a max of 100 degrees.

70 for the CPU is pretty high though. Is it possible the heatsink/fan isn't seated properly? If you're not o/c-ing it the stock cooler should surely be adequate, and I doubt the case is that bad for air-flow.
m
l
August 13, 2012 5:37:00 PM

All my chassis fans are outtake... so should i get 1 more for intake ??

can you suggest me a good, best for the price, extreme budget cpu cooler?

i am sure my cpu cooler is seated properly...
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 5:51:26 PM

2749060,23,1161887 said:

there's a major problem.............. some intake some out take. push/pull................. get air flowing through your case.
m
l
August 13, 2012 6:08:56 PM

swifty_morgan said:
2749060,23,1161887 said:

there's a major problem.............. some intake some out take. push/pull................. get air flowing through your case.
said:

ok... so again... suggest me a good chassis and a good cpu cooler in a tight budget...
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 6:28:36 PM

did you try it with the front fan and side fan blowing in and the back fan blowing out ? and if I'm not mistaken the power supply should be sucking air out of the case too....... no ?

if you want to spend money on the cheap, what is the budget .... in reality.

the fan in front ( lower )............ on the outside of the case where the holes are that the fan sucks through............. they're not clogged are they ?
m
l
August 13, 2012 6:35:56 PM

dude i have only 2 fans... one is on the side panel and one at the back.. they both suck out and yes the psu sucks out air too... apparently every fan is sucking out...

and i am in india .. so use this site.. www.flipkart.com.

budget is not much dude... like 2000 rupees.. i dont really know how much i should spend on this...
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 6:39:31 PM

take the fan off the side panel and put it in the front. make sure it sucks air INTO the case.
m
l
August 13, 2012 6:44:16 PM

dont u think the cpu temp will increase then ?? the case fan is really close to the cpu fan so it helps to take the hot air out i guess.. i am not sure though...
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 7:14:55 PM

you know what a vacuum is ? hypothetically that's what you are creating because all the fans are pulling air out of the case............ how can you pull air out if you're not letting air in ? You're not moving anything. what part of that don't you understand ?
m
l
August 13, 2012 7:40:50 PM

u said to move it from the side to the front... so i AM moving it.. aint I ?
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 8:09:54 PM

I don't know, are you. I feel Helen Keller was more receptive.
m
l
August 13, 2012 8:52:05 PM

receptive ? dude i ve been asking everyone here to choose a cpu cooler for me since ever ... 4 times till now.. and i ask u again.. can u suggest me a good, tight budget cpu cooler ?
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 8:57:07 PM

Cooler Master Hyper 212
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 9:15:18 PM

i think it was the first one i looked at.....let me look local and you can compare............ make sure it fits YOUR processor socket before purchase...........

i only saw 2 here not 3 there........... get one for your socket.
m
l
August 14, 2012 9:19:23 AM

I really don't think you need a new cooler. It is your fan set up.

I think the problem may be that you think the CPU cooler is blowing air upwards away from the CPU and that the side case fan blowing out is therefore helping.

The CPU cooler is actually blowing air downwards through the cooling fins towards the CPU. So the case fan above it needs to suck cool air in from outside and blow it down onto the CPU cooler. Simply unscrew the case fan and reverse then reattach. This should significantly reduce the CPU temperature as you create a flow of cool air in and down onto the CPU.

The usual way to do case fans is to put one low down at the front of the case blowing cool air IN and then to have fans at the top of the back pulling warm air OUT (which is what a high-mounted PSU does). Then any additional side fans blow IN as well.

Hope that is clear.

m
l
August 14, 2012 10:07:01 AM

SteveH3671 said:
I really don't think you need a new cooler. It is your fan set up.

I think the problem may be that you think the CPU cooler is blowing air upwards away from the CPU and that the side case fan blowing out is therefore helping.

The CPU cooler is actually blowing air downwards through the cooling fins towards the CPU. So the case fan above it needs to suck cool air in from outside and blow it down onto the CPU cooler. Simply unscrew the case fan and reverse then reattach. This should significantly reduce the CPU temperature as you create a flow of cool air in and down onto the CPU.

The usual way to do case fans is to put one low down at the front of the case blowing cool air IN and then to have fans at the top of the back pulling warm air OUT (which is what a high-mounted PSU does). Then any additional side fans blow IN as well.

Hope that is clear.

yeah that really helps... i cant move the stock case fan ... its fixed.. so i guess i ll move the aftermarket fan to the front....

and i have a high mounted psu and also i saw a diagram of my case on the coolermaster site and it explained that the stock fan pulls air out.. while surprisingly i dont feel much air coming out of it at the back....

see the diagram here...

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6528
m
l
August 14, 2012 10:10:43 AM

swifty_morgan said:
i think it was the first one i looked at.....let me look local and you can compare............ make sure it fits YOUR processor socket before purchase...........

i only saw 2 here not 3 there........... get one for your socket.

okay so i my socket it AM3+ .. and these are supposed to fit in the socket... which one do u think would be the best ? do they come with some thermal paste ?

http://www.flipkart.com/cooler-master-hyper-412-slim/p/...

http://www.flipkart.com/cooler-master-hyper-tx3-evo/p/i...

http://www.flipkart.com/cooler-master-hyper-212-evo/p/i...
m
l
August 14, 2012 10:11:08 AM

do u guys know any good video or something that could help me put my fan in the front ? i can remove my side panel fan but i have no idea about how to put in the front ...
m
l
August 14, 2012 10:21:57 AM

and i want to buy a new cpu cooler because ...well this is india and its hot as HELL in here so the room temps never go below 30c ... so maybe the push pull wont help much.. what do u think ?
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
August 14, 2012 2:58:33 PM

the one that's ( Rs. 2273 ) is the one I would get......... i THINK it was the last one you posted. you'll have to check.

they should have a plastic cover on the bottom to protect the thermal paste that is ( should be applied )............ I have purchased cooler that had none. Don't forget to remove the cover before you try and put it on.............. HOWEVER........ if there is no paste applied there will still be a thin sticky cover that must be removed before you apply paste.

the front cover either pops of or you need to unscrew it from the inside of the case.......... you need to determine that. after you remove it you put the fan to the inside of the case ( fan blowing IN/ sucking in ) and screw it to the case from the outside through the mesh. there should be mounting holes for the fan screws.
m
l
August 14, 2012 3:02:33 PM

swifty_morgan said:
the one that's ( Rs. 2273 ) is the one I would get......... i THINK it was the last one you posted. you'll have to check.

they should have a plastic cover on the bottom to protect the thermal paste that is ( should be applied )............ I have purchased cooler that had none. Don't forget to remove the cover before you try and put it on.............. HOWEVER........ if there is no paste applied there will still be a thin sticky cover that must be removed before you apply paste.

yeah thats the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Cooler.. i have a query though... i am not sure if it ll fit in the case and may block 1 ram slot... can u check that ? can you please see the dimensions of the case on the cooler master website ? thanks man...

Fan Dimensions: 120 x 120 x 25 mm
Heatsink Dimensions: 116 x 51 x 159 mm
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
August 14, 2012 3:08:50 PM

from the picture it looks as if the fan can be placed on either side of the heat sink............ and if you don't have ram with monstrous heat sinks it should fit the "normal" way.
m
l
August 14, 2012 3:28:35 PM

i have a corsair vengeance ... dont u know how big it is ?
m
l
August 14, 2012 3:29:34 PM

swifty_morgan said:
from the picture it looks as if the fan can be placed on either side of the heat sink............ and if you don't have ram with monstrous heat sinks it should fit the "normal" way.

i am worried abt the whole case dude.. not just the ram... my case is a mid tower... and a dude in the reviews on flipkart said that it didnt fit in his full tower case...
m
l
!