Sign in with
Your question

FX8120 and CPUID Hardware monitor

Last response: in CPUs
February 17, 2013 7:07:48 AM

Hey guys, as I'm new to making PCs and new to this program/a friend of mine gave it to me/ I need some help to find out which is which.
As i already read FX 8120 has safe temp of 61 C.So my question is - which temp on the following screenshot is actually my temps. I don't believe that my CPU temp is around 12 C.

Here is the screenshot: http://store.picbg.net/pubpic/17/97/be7f5afda5041797.jp...

Just tell me which temp is which... Thanks in advance.
February 17, 2013 7:26:12 AM

So, nobody want to clarify what is this package temp. I don't think that when ambient temp is 22 C , my core temp can be 12 C... That's unreal.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2013 11:48:42 AM

Something's not right not just because your core temp is less than ambient (AMD's used to have a temp offset but it's no longer the case)

but also because your individual core temps are not showing either (when you expand the cpu tab, all eight cores should be visible with their individual temps too).

Have you disabled something either in HW monitor or BIOS?

Download CoreTemp. reliable read outs. or you can try the Open Hardware Monitor too.
post back.

Good luck
-satyam
February 17, 2013 4:23:23 PM

I was browsing all day and i found in the core temp an info that modern buldozer CPUs have 1 temp sensor. I haven't changed anything in bios except i enabled SMART for the HDD.
Here is a link to another forum about AMD temps/If posting such links is against the rules i will remove it/ : http://www.overclock.net/t/1128821/amd-temp-information...
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2013 4:50:40 PM

I just noticed temps of all cores are exactly same. I honestly never realized that. But most importantly, first see if AIDA is giving the same readout. If error persists, this may get rectified with a BIOS flash.

Vishera has support for individual core temp read out: http://cdn.overclock.net/4/4e/4ed1c437_tmpsjuly12.jpeg

So the final thing is this. Your cpu package temp is the most improtant temp that you should monitor. In your case since it has an error, update BIOS and see if et fixed (realistic)
February 17, 2013 7:27:12 PM

I flashed the bios recently. I read that new Zambezi CPUs are using not real but some kind of " peak and aveage" temp al together and this temp must not go over 61 degrees.According to Core temp, the TjMax is 70 degrees.
My whole question was which temp to use so i will know when to shut down my PC. Obviously , it seems that this "Core temp" or the "package temp" on CPUID Hardware monitor is the so important 61 Degrees Celsius.

AIDA64 shows same core temp.It seems this is the info the sensor gives to the programs.
So, here is it:
MB temp:36 C
CPU temp:33 C
CPU/Core1 up to CPU/Core8 -13 C /just same as in Core temp/
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2013 1:59:49 AM

then that cpu temp (33C) is all you need to monitor.
February 18, 2013 3:35:41 AM

satyamdubey said:
Something's not right not just because your core temp is less than ambient (AMD's used to have a temp offset but it's no longer the case)

but also because your individual core temps are not showing either (when you expand the cpu tab, all eight cores should be visible with their individual temps too).

Have you disabled something either in HW monitor or BIOS?

Download CoreTemp. reliable read outs. or you can try the Open Hardware Monitor too.
post back.

Good luck
-satyam

amd only hv one temperature sensor
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2013 3:45:30 AM

^ yep noticed that. fx bulldozers do have only one but apparently Piledriver has different ones. can you confirm whether this right or not?
February 20, 2013 2:05:57 PM

Well this "CPU temp" is the temp from the motherboard sensor beneath the CPU chip and due to traped air - it's unaccurate.
According to this guide : http://www.overclock.net/t/1128821/amd-temp-information...
it seems that we just need the core temp as it's most important. As we all know the Silicone can withstand up to 97 degrees, although AMD claim the 61 Degrees Celsius is the safe temp.
As far as i see my temps are max up to 48 Degrees (not overclocked after several hours of usage), so in summer i won't go over those 61 degrees. I will ignore CPU temps and whatch only for core temps.
a b à CPUs
February 20, 2013 2:14:28 PM

that guide is right but a core temp which is less than ambient clearly is not. This is the reason I would suggest you to monitor cpu package temp. The CPUTIN temp is indeed the socket temp and is warmer than the actual core temp but in your case it seems to be the only temp which is showing acceptable results.

My friend and I just finished assembling his system with a 8120 and his core temp read out are 17 C as well while the ambient is about 26-28C.

The most important thing is that all these cpu's have the ability to turn off when they cross their themal limit.

there is no standard fix temp for a silicon wafer from which a cpu is made. The maximum temp the silicon will be able to take depends on its quality contol and the thermal envelope the manufacturer decides to bin the cpu in. Do not assume that you can go as high on core temp on AMD as you can on Intel simply because their respective thermal limits are different. AMD's is less than Intel's in this particular case. AMD apu's are binned for higher temps similar to Intel cpu's.
February 20, 2013 5:59:26 PM

Don't look at the core temps at idle- under load they reach "possible" temps.By the way AMD are not a new crappy company and they know how to build good CPUs.
Under load with stock settings / turbo enabled = 3.4Ghz per core/ my temp with a not so CPU intensive game reaches 45 Degrees, and under Prime 95 - stable 52 Degrees C.If amd thinks CPUTIN is unadequate way to measure - i will agree with that.

By the way, tell your buddy that the CPU may thermal throttle down - due to the MB reading the sensor under the chip / which reads quite higher degrees/.So there will be no risk: for example- core temp 55 Degrees C, CPUTIN - 65 Degrees C; The MB will thermally throttle it down, so it won't be able to reach dangerous core temps.

PS: People can use the Core Temp program feature called overheat protection and set it on certain core degrees to warn, switch off, stand by ,etc.
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2013 12:49:19 AM

Think you misunderstood me hunter. I do not think AMD is crappy. They do how ever bin their cpu with higher TDP under a smaller thermal envelope. And it is all related to the silicon used in manufacturing.

My concerns is just that say if there is a 6C difference between the idle temp reading and the ambient, then does this offset remain constant with load temps too. i.e. if you see a 44C load temp, are you actually sitting at 50C.

anyway its good to know that you know how it all works and which temps to monitor.

good luck
-satyam
!