Sign in with
Your question

Is this dangerous? I'm thinking about trying it myself.

Last response: in CPUs
February 17, 2013 8:23:25 AM
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2013 8:44:22 AM

It is dangerous and I don;t know what kind of material he used for cooling...

edit: It might be salt water... It reaches -20Co or more...
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2013 8:51:04 AM

Yeah. That can is made of cardboard. When the ice starts melting it will eventually eat through the cardboard and fry your system.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2013 8:52:33 AM

Really interesting video! Never seen
m
l
a c 120 à CPUs
February 17, 2013 8:54:09 AM

Dry Ice cooling has been used for a while. If you're looking to establish bechmarks, the use of DI is a start - you can isolate your best core with it before pouring LN on it. The use of a pringles can full of dry ice is just silly IMO, it'll work, I have no doubt there and it is quite a bit less expensive than a real cooling pot but there is a reason benchmarkers don't use pringles cans.
For a fun strange thing to do I have no problem with doing things like that but a pringles can just isn't going to take the place of a cooling pot IMO. But like a cooling pot, undivided attention must be given to it - as soon as it's empty, you're going to overheat very quickly
For what it's worth
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
February 17, 2013 8:59:35 AM

Yes its dangerous, the mobo is not insulated against the inevitable water thats going to melt onto it
Cool as a oneoff 'lookit mah Pc' but not a useful setup for extreme clocking or longterm use
Its not Dry ice btw, just regular ice
Moto
m
l
February 17, 2013 9:13:35 AM

Its just regular water and I only wanted to do it as a one off extreme run. Plus the bottom of the can is metal.
m
l
a c 120 à CPUs
February 17, 2013 9:17:44 AM

Good catch to both Memnarchon and Moto, I didn't pay attention to the temp of the can other than to notice it was minus C. I simply assumed DI beacuse of that and also the outside of the can looks alot like the outside of a cooling pot with DI inside - the lack of vapor did have me a little confused though but somehow I quickly ignored that. With that in mind, I'm changing my answer from silly to stupid
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2013 11:03:12 AM

timil said:
Its just regular water and I only wanted to do it as a one off extreme run. Plus the bottom of the can is metal.

Regular water can't reach -15Co that the measurement device detect.
It might be water + salt at about 15% salt i think.
m
l
a c 120 à CPUs
February 17, 2013 11:13:32 AM

timil said:

Since interest is there and extreme cooling can be fun, I'll refer you to this article http://www.overclockers.com/an-introduction-to-extreme-... which should answer much
Enjoy
m
l
!