Sign in with
Your question

Satellite L450D - NEED HELP FROM A KNOWLEDGEABLE USER

February 17, 2013 9:16:19 AM

Hi all,

I have a problem with my laptop, self inflicted which makes it all the more annoying! I have been trying to upgrade my laptop cpu from a sempron core to a turion core (others have reportedly done before with no issue)...no luck with the turion core but when I put the sempron core back in the computer boots up with a black screen :(  . Below are the steps I took to get to this stage:

1. Swapped out the sempron for the turion, turned on the computer... black screen after boot up... turned off the computer.
2. Put the sempron back in and it booted up normally, screen working fine.
3. Put the turion back in but this time reset the cmos by taking out the battery for 5mins before booting up...black screen after boot up.
4. Put the sempron back in, again reset the cmos by the same method but this time I got a black screen after boot up with the old processor!

At no point did I try updating the bios as I didn't want to take the risk of bricking my laptop, I was under the impression that resetting the cmos was relatively risk free (obviously not the case). When I turn the laptop on I can hear the laptop fan coming on. When powering off I have to hold the power button down for 5 seconds before it powers down which makes me think the laptop is booting but just not showing the information on screen. I'm pretty confident I haven't physically damaged anything when swapping things over. At this point I don't care about getting the new processor working, I just want to get the laptop operating properly. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys!
Mike
!