Sign in with
Your question

Computer Restarts Power Supply Surge Detected

Last response: in Components
February 17, 2013 9:59:06 AM

I just built my first computer a couple of days ago. I used all brand new parts. I noticed when I started to play Tera about 1 hour or so into the game it just up and restarts on me.On restart It'll pull up a screen telling me there was a power supply surge and ASUS protected me. This seems to only happen when I'm playing a game. I can leave it running and play around on the internet for hours with no issue. I don't notice any overheating or anything. When It starts right back up I'll check BIOS and it'll say everything is fine temp wise. Both MB and CPU are around 30C. I'm not sure if it's a related problem or even a problem at all but my Cooler Master CPU fan is running a little slower than I thought it would around 400-500 RPM. I'm not sure if that's normal. I had to adjust the settings in BIOS to stop it from giving me a warning since it was below the default minimum. I've read so many different solutions I am super confused since this is my first build. I tried to test my Power Supply with a tester I bought and all the lights came on except the -5 which I read is ok. I also tried to pull out and test each stick of ram to see if maybe there was something wrong with it. I did notice that the end part of my video card where the monitor plugs in gets rather hot. Not sure if that's normal. I could really use some advice since I'm new to this.

Here is what I have:

Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-S-B 850W Continuous @40°C ,80 PLUS Certified, ATX12V v2.2 Power Supply
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Sleeve CPU Cooler
EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB GDDR5 PCIe Dual DVI
Seagate 1TB Serial ATA HD 7200/32MB/SATA-6G
ASUS SABERTOOTH Intel Z77
Intel Core i7-3770K 3.50 GHz CPU
a b ) Power supply
February 17, 2013 10:15:59 AM

the video cable should not get hot..if it is there an issues with the cable or the video card. check the cable on both ends for bent pins. try another monitor to rule out the monitor or video card. on the mb make sure you have the newest bios. try runing open hardware monitor and watch your power supply. most power supplys if they have an issue is under gaming load.
m
l
February 17, 2013 10:44:50 AM

I'd replace the PSU as rosewill isn't a good name brand(popularity and/or reliability) im pretty sure a 600w can run that system so just get a Antec/Corsair/Panasonic at $100-$150... also before you replace PSU, i'd recommend running your system at max speed with Intel burn test and probably furmark or so... also the video connector being hot is normal(shouldn't be hot but warm) as the card itself is hot...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 17, 2013 10:57:59 AM

I'm also suspect the PSU... (since it "power surege" and happen when "gaming")

as smorizio said, most PSU will only show it's failure/defect when it stressed...

also don't forget to check the cable connection for loose connection/etc ...
m
l
!