[Help] Major FPS loss after upgrade to i7 3770k CPU

h4rvey

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
Hello Everyone,
I am hoping someone here will be able to help me figure out what is wrong with my PC.
I recently upgraded from a Intel i5 2500k CPU to a Intel i7 3770k CPU. I did this so i can stream better @ http://twitch.tv/epictankz (not able to stream CSGO well on the i5)

After the CPU upgrade in WoW (my main game) i am getting 30-40 FPS. It happens everywhere no matter what is going on.

My Current System Specs:
Mobo: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 - U1h(UEFI BIOS)
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3853#ov

CPU: Intel i7 3770k OC @ 4.4Ghz

RAM: KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX x 4 = 16GB
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104173

Video Card: Nvidia GTX560ti - Latest drivers installed

I have Windows Installed on a SSD, and WoW running off a 7200RPM SATA drive.

Here is imgur link to pics of CPUZ/In game settings/My installed programs/etc
http://imgur.com/a/8DPPP#0

PE7dz.jpg

EDPW1.jpg

8Os5q.jpg

8BeVq.jpg

JZVGQh.jpg

vgDbi.jpg

iBrSB.jpg

kp7mp.jpg

E5t89.jpg

Im hoping someone may know what is going on.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Solution
G

codyopj

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Firstly, I'm going to assume that you aren't having issues with any other games or programs, correct me if I'm wrong.
Have you tried it without the overclock?
Also, can you please provide the temps that you are getting while running WoW?

codyopj

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Raylon, WEI is determined by the lowest score, not an accurate method of gaining any information.

When exactly did you upgrade your CPU? Was it before or after the pre-MoP patch?

h4rvey

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
After the patch.
I booked a week of for MoP so i waited until i was lvl 90 before i started to mess around with the PC.

Removed the i5, installed i7. PC would not post. Got it to post with only 2 sticks of ram in the Channel B slots, put ram into Channel A and it doesnt post, just reboot loop. (even while booted on the 2 sticks of ram, i was getting very low FPS in game.)

Fought with that for a few days. Turned out to be a bent CPU Slot pin on the MOBO. Fixed that last night. Now i am booted with all 16GB of ram.

But the low FPS issue is still there.

Starting to regret buying this CPU as its been hell ever since.

It was suppose to have faster speeds so i can livestream Counterstrike GO and stuff better. But right now i can stream anything.

Also i was running my i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz, if i run the 1.7 @ 4.5 it will blue screen.
So far running at 4.4ghz it has not blue screened.

again the Temps are not very high on CPU/MOBO through all of this.

G

WoW is a weird game, but you should be killing the fps with your current setup.

I dont recall you saying what you had for FPS before the i7.

You mentioned a bent cpu pin on mobo, that could be it. Or your Overclock is bad. I would try it at stock i7 speeds for now, then slowly increase it and see. I have a i7 950 and gtx 460 and run everything on ultra and get better numbers than that.

Solution

h4rvey

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
I was able to bend the pin back into place.
On the i5 i would get 120-130 FPS and in big cities 40-50.

Also
I forgot to add.
I get the low 30-40fps on Ultra & High Settings.
If i put it on low / medium settings i get 150-200 FPS.

G

Was your i5 running on ultra and high at 120+ fps?

If so try reinstalling the i5 to verify that its not just the patch causing issues. If it does you got a bad i7.

h4rvey

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
the i5 was OC @ 4.5 and would get around 100-130 fps.

I sold the i5 :(

Also Intel had me run the Intel CPU Diagnostics utility and it passed all tests, so they think the cpu is fine.

Raylon

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

True, but I have a 4 year old PC and I still get a 6.3, so a PC as new as the OP's should get way better than that. Unless there are some really cheap components in there.

If you don't have an SSD, most hard drives get scores right around 6.0. No matter what the rest of your system is, the WEI will be that score.

On your i5, are you sure you didn't set it to Ultra, but turn down the shadows? WoW has always required the shadows be turned down for respectable frame rates.

OK since you dont have the Intel® Core™ i5 any more lets see if we can change the major difference between these processors. I don't think it will make any difference but go into the Bios and disable hyper-threading. This will make the Intel Core i7-3770K into an Intel Core i5 with 2 extra MB of cache.

You also might check how with Lucid MVP isnt switching to the IGP over your video card.