Solved

Psu for dual 550ti

Hello,
Im upgrading to 2 550ti's and i was wondering if my e-power (EP-500NE-XV) will handle it?
Or do i need to upgrade my psu. By the way you guys are great,youve awnsered many of my questions without me ever having to ask them.
22 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about dual 550ti
  1. Theoretically it should be just enough. This will test the mettle of your PSU, if it's not up to the task it's gonna take a dump on you.
  2. You are still able to run using just 500W, but I would upgrade to 600W. A good guideline is to stay under 80% of the rated wattage for your psu. Having 2 550ti's will be pushing it a bit.
  3. Unless you already have a single GTX 550 TI, getting a single, higher perfomrance graphics card would be a better idea. A single Radeon 7850 would have similar stock gaming performance to two GTX 550 TIs in SLI and would use less power for about the same price, if not a lower price. If you must have two video cards and you don't already have a single 550 TI, then two 560 SE cards or two 7770s would have higher performance for about the same amount of money.

If you already have a single 550 TI, you might be better off simply selling it and getting a single faster card.
  4. NO! that psu will not handle it.

why?
    because looking at the specs there is 50 amps on the 5 volt rail and just 28 amps on the 12 volt rail. it may have two 6 pin PCI power connections and could possilbly handle a single card but the deal breaker is the added 75 watts supplied by the PCI slot itself.

in other words it could supply 225 watts to a single card but not 300 watts to a SLI configuration.
  5. Anonymous said:
    NO! that psu will not handle it.

why?
    because looking at the specs there is 50 amps on the 5 volt rail and just 28 amps on the 12 volt rail. it may have two 6 pin PCI power connections and could possilbly handle a single card but the deal breaker is the added 75 watts supplied by the PCI slot itself.

in other words it could supply 225 watts to a single card but not 300 watts to a SLI configuration.

That's also an excellent point.
  6. I thought it was a horrible point. 28A * 12V = 336W, doesn't matter where its going. GTX550TI SLI won't use 300W anyways. I think they are 110W cards so only around 220-225W for SLI just counting the cards.
  7. 4745454b said:
    I thought it was a horrible point. 28A * 12V = 336W, doesn't matter where its going. GTX550TI SLI won't use 300W anyways. I think they are 110W cards so only around 220-225W for SLI just counting the cards.

if it can deliver 28 amps with 50 amps on the 5 volt rail.

that spells F - A - I - L.
  8. 4745454b said:
    I thought it was a horrible point. 28A * 12V = 336W, doesn't matter where its going. GTX550TI SLI won't use 300W anyways. I think they are 110W cards so only around 220-225W for SLI just counting the cards.

28 amps is its peak. It should not be near its peak. about 20-23amps are probably where it should max out at regularly. Also, PSUs degrade over time, so unless this PSU is fairly new, it probably can't hit its rated maximums at all anyway.
  9. PSU in question.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817101047

Not sure where you get the 28A from. Newegg says that, but looking at the pic the 500W version clearly lists 32A max. (384W) Yes, clearly an older design due to the red voltage select switch and the high 5V rail. But they think it can do 32 (or 28A if you read the description.) so that's the info we have to work with.

Either way I don't see how 75W from the board changes anything, which was the "good point" I didn't understand.
  10. 4745454b said:
    PSU in question.

Not sure where you get the 28A from. Newegg says that, but looking at the pic the 500W version clearly lists 32A max. (384W) Yes, clearly an older design due to the red voltage select switch and the high 5V rail. But they think it can do 32 (or 28A if you read the description.) so that's the info we have to work with.

Either way I don't see how 75W from the board changes anything, which was the "good point" I didn't understand.

OK, I think we all might as well just agree on that the PSU is probably better off being replaced for GTX 550 TI SLI, assuming that OP still wants to do that, even if we won't agree on why it should be replaced.

Also, the pic might not even be of the exact model being sold in that link. It is common for the pics to not be exactly the same as the sold product. I'm not guaranteeing that this is the case in this situation, only that it is a possibility.
  11. Best answer
    4745454b said:
    PSU in question.

i don't go to new egg for specs, i go to manufacturers web sites:
    http://www.epowertec.com/EP-500ne-xv.html

a sign of a less than desirable PSU is to have a large amount of amperage on the 3.3 or 5 volt rail embellishing its rated wattage. a corsair CX 430 has the same amount on the 12 volt rail.

since 28*12= 336 watt and to keep it under a 80% load is 268.8 watts. though a 550ti SLI would draw 224 watts, would the left over 48.8 watts be enough to run the cpu, hard drives, chipset and ram?

no, thats where the 75 watts needed through the PCI slot comes into play.
  12. thank you all for your input. did not think i would get so many responses.since i already have one 550ti and this psu isnt of good quality,im just going to get a better psu. that way i wont have to worry about this one taking a dump while im in the middle of gaming. my rig is a work in progress, as such im going to upgrade to a rosewill 750. this will give me some room to grow.i really appreciate your help,THANX
  13. Best answer selected by skyblue65.
  14. I suggest getting a Corsair, Antec, or seasonic PSU instead of Rosewill. They aren't horrible, but they're only average. Corsair, Antec, and Seasonic are top-quality PSU brands and there are often deals on some that can more than negate the occasionally higher than average prices.
  15. My rosewill 750 is going 3 years strong. Its 80 plus cert, and it was $69. The next closest thing was a corsair at $125. I wasn't going to pay double for a similar product. I like the security of top quality brands too but sometimes dollars dictates demand.
  16. Like I said, you often have to watch for deals with Corsair, Antec, and especially Seasonic. They can have huge discounts fairly often. They are usually more reliable than Rosewill (although Rosewill is a good brand nonetheless) and especially more tolerable of heat.
  17. Quote:
    no, thats where the 75 watts needed through the PCI slot comes into play.

And that's where you are wrong. That 75W is part of the 224W. They don't need 224W PLUS 75W more from the board.
  18. Quote:
    im just going to get a better psu.

Always a good idea.
  19. Whoa, easy. Take a breath there Looniam. I'll wait.

Quote:
    did i add another 75 watts to anything?

Yes? Or it least it seems that way. Way back up there you said,

Quote:
    but the deal breaker is the added 75 watts supplied by the PCI slot itself... in other words it could supply 225 watts to a single card but not 300 watts to a SLI configuration.

You are the one who brought up 75W, I said it didn't matter where the power was coming from.

Quote:
    whats with your issue?

My issue is from reading what I wrote above, it seemed someone didn't understand how things work. My apologies if it was a miscommunication.

Quote:
    so you were wrong by saying the 12 rail was 32 amps

I went by the picture on the unit itself. You seem to want to assign blame. I suggest you take it up with the people who made the unit/printed the picture. For the record I don't suggest people use PSUs if they can't even print the picture right.

Quote:
    and also that it would be up to snuff for a 550ti SLI.

Care to quote me on that? I see you quoted me when I said it was a good idea to change it.

Quote:
    stike three, you're out.

I'm sorry I upset you Mr. Mod. Please don't ban me? FYI, there is always PM to flame people so you don't come off like a duch...
  20. Well, I'll see if I can end this real quick to ensure that it doesn't come down to mods needing to take action, hopefully no one minds.

looniam, you did previously say that the two six pin connectors are not intended to be used with two separate cards that also take 75w each from a PCI slot (no clue why you keep calling them that, they're PCIe x16, not PCI) and that the 75w from the second slot would push the total maximum power to 300w (75 per PCIe x16 slot times two for two slots plus two times 75w for the two PCIe 6 pin power connectors) and that the PSU can't handle that. Two GTX 550 TIs, although not power efficient at all (especially compared to the Radeon 7750 800MHz that has somewhat higher performance, yet less than half the power consumption), would max out at about 225w, maybe very slightly more, or about what a single card with two PCIe 6 pin connectors would be able to draw to the max.

You slipped up as far as I can tell now that I've thought it over and maybe I was wrong when I agreed with that point. However, there is good reasoning in saying that although a card with two six pin connectors could draw up to 225w, most cards that have two 6 pin connectors probably don't draw the maximum and maybe the PSU wasn't designed to have a whole 225w allocated to the graphics as often as two GTX 550 TIs might reach it. Your point afterwards where you said that the PSU simply doesn't have enough 12v amperage to reliably power both two GTX 550 TIs and the rest of the system seems accurate to me.

This PSU is insufficient. I think that any further arguing over any aspect of it would offend more than it would solve any remaining disagreements, but I'm not a mod, so I can't really do anything more than say that OP's PSU should be replaced and that OP should have much more 12v amperage on that replacement if GTX 550 TI is OP's goal.

looniam, maybe I have misunderstood what you said and what I just said was what you meant all along or maybe something else, I don't know and I don't think that it matters at this point. Can we just close this thread? OP has his/her answer and any further bickering seems like nothing more than flaming at this point.
  21. OP picked best answer, mouse will be along shortly to close. I'm done with loon/thread. PMs of course are always welcome if anyone needs info.
  22. 4745454b said:
    Whoa, easy. Take a breath there Looniam. I'll wait.

I'm sorry I upset you Mr. Mod. Please don't ban me? FYI, there is always PM to flame people so you don't come off like a duch...

your'e right i am being a douche and my apologies for that post; i deleted it.

and i sometimes fail to fully explain what i am thinking which i believe lead to our misunderstanding.

my bad.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Power Graphics Product