Sign in with
Your question

Ssd vs better gpu

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 13, 2012 2:20:36 PM

hi guys i want to record gameplay and upload them to youtube and so will i benefit from a kingston v + 200 or a 7850 over 560

suggest sometips too

More about : ssd gpu

a c 270 U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 3:25:32 PM

Is this a new build, or an upgrade?

The 7850 is slightly stronger than a GTX560, and would be better in a new build. But if you already have a GTX560, it is not that great a jump in capability, and you may well be disappointed if you don't see much of a performance improvement.

As to recording gameplay, a conventional hard drive should not be a problem. They are very competent in writing capability, particularly sequentially.

But... for a new build, I would always try to incorporate a SSD if your budget permits. Everything you do will feel so much snappier. My preference for reliability today would be Intel 330 or Samsung 830.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 4:05:13 PM

I'm not a gamer, but there was a recent post regaurding this. It is best, if you want to record game play while playing, to use two seperate drives. Can be two HDDs or a SSD and a HDD. OS + Program + Game on either SSD or HDD and record set to 2nd HDD.

I Love SSDs, But Being realistic, a SSD will:
.. Improve Boot time
.. Inmprove program load times.
Will NOT:
.. Increase how fast a program runs.
.. Will Not Increase FPS in game play
.. Will not improve download times (Limited to Internet connection speed.
.. Will NOT improve file load/writing to a HDD.

Concur with the samsung 830. Also recommend the Curcial M4 and Plextor M3. Which one - which ever is cheapest at time of Purchase as Not a noticable improvement in performanc outside benchmarks. All three, Unless you need yesterday, and can wait a week, check newegg for sales. should fine one of the 3 below $100. I've bought both the 830 and the M4 256 Gig SSD for $180 recently.
m
l
Related resources
August 13, 2012 4:14:28 PM

Quote:
SSD Will NOT:
.. Will Not Increase FPS in game play

ok you just saved me 100 euro, thanks friend :)  new build, bye bye ssd
revro
m
l
August 13, 2012 4:50:44 PM

guys it is a new build so should i go with the ssd (only available in pakistan is kingston) or 7850 btw how can i compress huge video files to smaller sizes
m
l
August 13, 2012 5:02:09 PM

i would say better gpu but you already have a gpu thats still very capable. go with the ssd, itll just speed up your overall computing experience. if you really wanna upgrade your video gaming experience maybe save a little more too get a higher end card. i was running a single 6850 and then upgraded to (2x) crossfire mode and the increase was noticeable but not to the point i was marveling at it. save up for a beast imo
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 5:03:09 PM

If these are "Huge" files, you do not want to put on an SSD.

What I do for large "Blu-ray" video files (anywheres from 10 -> 40 gigs for a single file, DVD are normally 1 gig dot VOBs) is to run them thru a converter program. I compressed about 25 Movies (Dvd and Blu-ray) down to 2.2 Gigs fand stuck them on a thumbdrive for playback while on travel.

Pick and choose:
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_nf=1&cp=2...
m
l
August 13, 2012 5:11:51 PM

SSD will increase FPS if the game is constantly accessing files from the hard drive. Diablo 3 is one game that is heavily dependent on your hard drive, I believe Skyrim is another. Any game that has a massive map, and randomized items, will benefit from a SSD.

OP - you got a good card, I would definately go with an SSD.
m
l
a c 270 U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 5:15:28 PM

ramish said:
guys it is a new build so should i go with the ssd (only available in pakistan is kingston) or 7850 btw how can i compress huge video files to smaller sizes

What is currently on your list for this new build?
Perhaps we should look at it in it's entirety to see how well it meets your intended usage and budget.

In general, for a gamer, the graphics card is the most important component.
I would budget twice the cost of the cpu for the graphics card.

A SSD is really a bit of a luxury.
You will need a hard drive if you will store many large files, like video's.
Perhaps a mix would be appropriate, a 60gb ssd for the os and a game or two, and a Hard drive for storage.
m
l
August 13, 2012 5:57:44 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
SSD will increase FPS if the game is constantly accessing files from the hard drive. Diablo 3 is one game that is heavily dependent on your hard drive, I believe Skyrim is another. Any game that has a massive map, and randomized items, will benefit from a SSD.

OP - you got a good card, I would definately go with an SSD.

well you just confirmed ssd wont help with fps, just with loading times :) 
m
l
August 13, 2012 7:18:01 PM

revro said:
well you just confirmed ssd wont help with fps, just with loading times :) 

How many frames per second do you get while loading? zero. So one can argue that having an ssd could increase your FPS around what 60+ depending on your GPU? Look at a graph, maybe you will figure out that when it spikes to extremely low FPS that it could be due to buffering.
m
l
August 13, 2012 7:39:04 PM

i have already bought an i5 3450 and kingston value ram and the case
not yet bought the gpu or mobo but have chosen which psu and mobo
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 8:00:57 PM

I'd highly recommend going with GTX 560 and SSD - just not Kingston V200 - it's bad. Go with either:

OCZ Vertex 3
Mushkin Chronos Deluxe
Samsung 830
Kingston HyperX 3k
Plextor M3 Pro
Crucial M4
Corsair Force GS
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 8:54:03 PM

I'd delete Mushkin Chronos from your list, Possible add Mushkins Chronos deluxe.
The NON deluxe use Async NAND and is in the same cat as Agillity III - A sata II SSD in a SATA III wrapper.

My preference is the M4, Samsung 830 (Seams to be Anandtech's perferd SSDs) and the Plextor M3 pro. Plextor has a new m5, but to new to get a real feel for user problems.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 9:24:37 PM

Yea my bad.
m
l
!