Startup additions or omissions

PJH

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002

I use to use MSCONFIG to modify my startup loads. Now I have XP Pro and what
I see using MSCONFIG isn't as easy to deal with. What is the easiest method
to add or modify what software loads at startup?

In news:8E77F980-557A-47BA-A251-80E64F8E1DC4@microsoft.com,
PJH <PHAWORTH_OREGON@HOTMAIL.COM.(donotspam)> typed:

> I use to use MSCONFIG to modify my startup loads. Now I have
> XP Pro
> and what I see using MSCONFIG isn't as easy to deal with.

Sure it is. Why do you think it isn't.

> What is
> the easiest method to add or modify what software loads at
> startup?

There are similar third-party programs, such as the very good
freeware Startup Control Panel by Mike Lin at
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

But before you use any program , on each program you don't want
to start automatically, check its Options to see if it has the
choice not to start (make sure you actually choose the option not
to run it, not just a "don't show icon" option). Many can easily
and best be stopped that way.

Please reply to the newsgroup

I use Autoruns, a free application, available here:
http://www.sysinternals.com/utilities/autoruns.html

Donny Broome
donny AT broomeman DOT com
Kill Spyware! Visit: