Sign in with
Your question

Big difference in Antec PSU? or are other recomended?

Last response: in Components
February 17, 2013 2:35:34 PM

Hi.
Im curently buying a update PSU. Iv calculated I can manage with 500-550watt, but I prefeer to go a bit bigger so I have something for the future.

As of now Iv found 2 Antec PSU I like and a OCZ.
Antec VP650PM: http://www.antecindia.co.in/pdf/flyers/VP650PM_EN.pdf
Dual rail Modulare

Antec High Current Gamer HCG-620M which seems to be built by Seasonic.
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4592/antec_hcg_620m_62...
Single rail modulare

OCZ ZS 650w
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Single rail non modulare

Is one of these better, and or are there other ones I should check out in the same range?
The 3 above is basicly the same price delivered to me.
a b ) Power supply
February 18, 2013 3:30:04 AM

The ocz zs is made by sirtec, the Antec High Current Gamer HCG-620M is made by seasonic, so get that one.
Related resources
February 18, 2013 7:57:47 AM

completelyrandomname said:
Assuming you have a budget of around $90 ( the OCZ ZS 650W is $90), get this PSU right now. It is actually able to deliver almost all of the listed specs (648 to be exact). It is made by Seasonic is is a very good value.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

But I see that you are linking me to the corsair TX, but talking about the OCZ that you mean is built by seasonic??? :)  But you would realy recomend the OCZ over the Antec?

I was leaning towards the Antec High Current Gamer HCG-620M, but wanted some second opinions. I also understood it was made by seasonic as djangoringo say.
a b ) Power supply
February 18, 2013 2:32:50 PM

Of the two you linked, only the Antec one is made by Seasonic. I recommended the Corsair TX because unlike the two you linked it is actually a ble to provide up to 648W of the total 650W. The OCZ one can only provide up to 552W. Not sure about the Antec one but it would most likely be around 580W-ish.
a b ) Power supply
February 18, 2013 2:46:30 PM

maraxion said:
But I see that you are linking me to the corsair TX, but talking about the OCZ that you mean is built by seasonic??? :)  But you would realy recomend the OCZ over the Antec?

I was leaning towards the Antec High Current Gamer HCG-620M, but wanted some second opinions. I also understood it was made by seasonic as djangoringo say.

The OCZ ZS is made by sirtec, not seasonic, the antec HCG-620M is made by seasonic, so get that one, it's also modular, and if it's cheaper.
You don't seem to be from the USA, so i can't recommend others, the antec will do anyway, if the corsair TX V2 is cheaper in the place that you live then you might get it, but it's not modular, and it must be the TX V2(it's also made by seasonic), the TX(only) is made by channel well or the TX modular series.
February 18, 2013 3:13:46 PM

djangoringo said:
The OCZ ZS is made by sirtec, not seasonic, the antec HCG-620M is made by seasonic, so get that one, it's also modular, and if it's cheaper.
You don't seem to be from the USA, so i can't recommend others, the antec will do anyway, if the corsair TX V2 is cheaper in the place that you live then you might get it, but it's not modular, and it must be the TX V2(it's also made by seasonic), the TX(only) is made by channel well or the TX modular series.

Great thanks, live in Norway BTW
The Tx v2 cost a minimal more of 10$.(the modular of the same additional 10$)
What I liked about the Antec was the 5 year waranty(like corsair) As of now I dont realy need that much power, but I was thinking in 2-3 years those extra 150watt might come in handy when I cnage up video cards.
To illustrate the Antec cost roughly 117 Dollar including shipment. The Tx v2 costs 126$ including shipment.

As for the max, it seems it does handle the 620watt(619) on 100% load, just not crossload:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Antec/HCG-620M/5.htm...

As for cheep I found the Super Flower SF-750P14HE But im guessing its not as good as the recomended Rosewill Capstone 450 and 650W made by same.
a b ) Power supply
February 18, 2013 3:30:13 PM

I have 2 different corsair PSU's, an original TX750 that I bought 5yrs ago, and an HX650. Both have been good to me. I also have a 520w Seasonic and 500w OCZ Mod Extreme pro. They don't see quite as much use, but I have had no issues with either. My next PSU will be either Corsair or Seasonic most likely. Been eyeing the 80+ Gold from Seasonic for awhile now.
a b ) Power supply
February 18, 2013 3:43:08 PM

Then from the two you have, get the Antec one.
a b ) Power supply
February 18, 2013 3:49:25 PM

maraxion said:
Great thanks, live in Norway BTW
The Tx v2 cost a minimal more of 10$.(the modular of the same additional 10$)
What I liked about the Antec was the 5 year waranty(like corsair) As of now I dont realy need that much power, but I was thinking in 2-3 years those extra 150watt might come in handy when I cnage up video cards.
To illustrate the Antec cost roughly 117 Dollar including shipment. The Tx v2 costs 126$ including shipment.

As for the max, it seems it does handle the 620watt(619) on 100% load, just not crossload:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Antec/HCG-620M/5.htm...

As for cheep I found the Super Flower SF-750P14HE But im guessing its not as good as the recomended Rosewill Capstone 450 and 650W made by same.

Super flower units are also good ones, but yes, it's not as good as the capstone which is the super flower golden green.
Both are good psus, but don't get the TX modular, it's not made by seasonic, so either the antec or just the TX V2 non modular, since the antec is cheaper and you don't need the extra amps of the corsair, get the antec.
February 18, 2013 4:01:45 PM

Is there any reliable calculator I can check power need btw? Seems most are payment , old or just not accurate.

The specs I have is:
CM Storm Trooper Gaming Big Tower
Intel LGA1155 COre I5 - 3450
Corsair Cooling Hydro H60 CPU Cooler
Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600 MHz 16 GB KIT
OCZ SSD Agility 3 series 2.5" 120GB
Sony DVD + RW AD 5280S - OB BLACK/SATA
MSI B75MA-P45, Socket-1155
2 old Sata 2 hdd.
Radeon HD 4890

The Radeon wil be changed to XFX Radeon 7970 GB edition within a year.
a b ) Power supply
February 18, 2013 4:13:19 PM

The antec will do for the 7970, even for the ghz edition, it requires 31A on the +12v rail and a 550W psu, the i5 has a low power consumption, even with the rest of the stuff, you're fine.
February 18, 2013 4:20:02 PM

djangoringo said:
The antec will do for the 7970, even for the ghz edition, it requires 31A on the +12v rail and a 550W psu, the i5 has a low power consumption, even with the rest of the stuff, you're fine.

Great, then i wasent totaly off.
I was thinking the 620 would handle an I7 later on with the 7970 withouth having to max it out.

Thanks guys!
a b ) Power supply
February 18, 2013 4:21:50 PM

The cpu you have is fine, it will not bottleneck the 7970, no point in getting the i7, the ht of the i7 doesn't benefit in gaming, you just need to spend in a better card and your'e set.
February 21, 2013 8:46:50 AM

Great. Just to check one thing, not even sure it can be done but I found this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ATI-Radeon-4850,5728.h...

I have the 4890 but also an older 3870x2 both 1gb laying around. Is there any chance they wil work on crossfire, and if so what power needs do I have?
Now Iv already ordered the Antec 620 so im guessing that might work but its whery low on the power side.
a b ) Power supply
February 21, 2013 12:19:16 PM

They will not work in crossfire well, imo.
a c 288 ) Power supply
February 21, 2013 2:10:41 PM

maraxion said:

Hi - the TX v2 is also made by Seasonic and delivers 636w to the +12v rail.
It is discontd, but an excellent unit and at $80 is a good buy.

Replaced with TX650 & TXM made by CWT, and those deliver 648w on the +12v.
!