Can I.....?

dan142

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
I have had a wireless router for some time now, and I have been impressed with its reliability, until we were forced to 'upgrade' to a BT Homehub 2. This is the devils own creation. I have since not been able to trust wireless internet to provide me with a reliable connection, so I'm going back to the good old wired days. The one problem being, I don't actually know how!

I would like to use my telephone socket to provide me with my connection, but how would I go about this? I was going to buy another router and use it in my bedroom, but apparently I cannot have 2 routers in one house, for whatever reason, without using wireless in some way. Moving my existing router is not an option either, as things are plugged into that downstairs. Can I use a modem with this socket? If not, how could I connect 2 laptops, 1 PC, and an Xbox 360 to one socket? The socket in question is not an Ethernet socket, it is one of the ones with the bit you squeeze to get it out on the side, instead of the top. I don't know the name for it. I am not too good with the technical jargon, so word it simply please :D.

P.S. I know about homeplugs, but they're wireless, so are out of the question.

Thanks in advance!

Dan

dan142

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
Thanks for the advice. I have already tried changing the wireless channel, but it didn't seem to make a difference. I will try setting up my old router tomorrow. Thanks!