Need graphic card which supports two vga (D-sub / analog) monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

demon_child

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
I have two LED monitors I bought less than a year ago. Both of them have only VGA/D-Sub/analog input. No DVI/HDMI at all.

Currently I use them in an old GeForce 6600 GT, one is using a DVI-VGA adapter.

I need to upgrade my 6600, but I want to keep my monitors. Any recommendation on what graphic card should I buy? Can I use GTS 450 (or anything at that price range) with my current setup?

Thank you

Solution
Those are the type of monitors we saw a few years ago when LCD's first started to show up. It wouldn't surprise me if those aren't the same monitors we had, that now are sold in your area.

Anyways, I've seen cards that had multiple DVI-I connections, but it was on a 690, and I know that is out of your price range. You'll just have to check what you can find, but as an alternative, you could run your 2nd monitor from a 2nd video card, which wouldn't need to be powerful, as it's just for displaying the desktop.
Yah, there is no issue with that, you'll just have to use adapters, like the one you have. If you check the contents of the package you purchase, you can probably get one with one adapter included, and you can use your old adapter as well to support both your monitors. (My last card came with one).

demon_child

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Thank you for your responses. Last month I bought a Radeon 6670 and it cannot work with dvi-vga adapter. My adapter didn't fit since 6670's dvi is a DVI-I which had no analog signal.

I don't want to waste my money gambling for something. If the GTS 450 can really works, then I'll go for it.

Thanks

Oh, I did forget about that. DVI-I is what you want. Two of them, it's the DVI-I that carries an analog signal, as well as a digital signal. It's the DVI-D that is digital only.

demon_child

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Sorry my mistake. Yes 6670 is DVI-D, not DVI-I.

So, is GTS 450 a DVI-I? I'm pretty sure judging from the shape of its connector. But I also heard that some cards -especially AMD/ATI cards- cannot output two analog signals simultaneously. How about GTS 450?

You'd have to look at the individual card. The DVI-D has a single minus sign shaped slot one side, the DVI-I has a plus sign plus 4 additional holes around it.

If your motherboard has an extra PCIe slot, you could keep your old card (or a very cheap additional card) and drive your 2nd monitor from that.

demon_child

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
My monitors are BENQ G610HDAL and Philips 160EL. They're LED for sure, and not old since I bought them just months ago.
I know it's quite odd for a new monitor having only VGA input, but that's the most common in my country (I live in Indonesia). DVI/HDMI monitors are expensive (and rare) here

Those are the type of monitors we saw a few years ago when LCD's first started to show up. It wouldn't surprise me if those aren't the same monitors we had, that now are sold in your area.

Anyways, I've seen cards that had multiple DVI-I connections, but it was on a 690, and I know that is out of your price range. You'll just have to check what you can find, but as an alternative, you could run your 2nd monitor from a 2nd video card, which wouldn't need to be powerful, as it's just for displaying the desktop.

Solution

demon_child

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
I guess we are late in adopting new technology, as "new" products in our area are actually aged and had been abandoned in more developed countries.

I'll buy the GTS 450 and see if it works. If it does not work, I'll add a cheap PCIE 1X card just to drive my secondary monitor.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.