Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading cpu NEED YOUR HELP!!! :(

Last response: in CPUs
February 17, 2013 3:52:40 PM

Hello i current have an 4 year old gaming computer and want to upgrade my processor/cpu, unfortunately i do not know much about computers and would like your help! My current specs are
Nvidia 9800 gt
4 GB ram
Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60 GHz
Socket 775LGA
Bios: American Megatrend Inc. V2.5
Model: p43 Neo3 (MS-7514)

Again i am trying to figure which processor fits my computer and which would be the best to upgrade to with the price range around 100-200 dollars. Thank you !

More about : upgrading cpu

February 17, 2013 4:04:19 PM

Pretty much noting fits your computer nowadays :s I would buy a Z77 motherboard and a i3-3220 :)  Awesome CPU and pretty cheap I may say... If you want more help just answer the post or send me a mensage :) 
February 17, 2013 4:08:12 PM

I know nothing fits but what would be the best upgrade if i didnt want to switch the mobo? ><
Related resources
February 17, 2013 4:09:20 PM

And do you think its a better idea to upgrade GPU + CPU or MOBO + CPU and keep the 9800 gt? The 9800 is a 512 mb too..

Best solution

February 17, 2013 6:39:07 PM

I go for CPU power, so MOBO +CPU... If you upgrade your GPU, even if you upgrade your CPU with the same MOBO you would still be CPU limited in games because the new GPU would kick it's ass :/ 
I would say (if you are in a budget) get the Z77 with the i3-3220 I said (or near) and later buy the GPU... If you have more money, the FX 8350 is pretty good, or even a i5-3570k :) 
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2013 7:00:17 PM

tough to find a decent quad core 775 processor, and tough to find one at a good price. Do you own ( have the disc ) the operating system?
can you put more $ into the parts?

a b à CPUs
February 17, 2013 7:13:25 PM

After so many years, I think you should basically get a new system from scratch. Save some money up and live as long as you can with the PC you got now. It would be a waste upgrading on such an ancient PC. PCs ages so fast these days.
February 18, 2013 4:32:14 AM

Thanks for the help guys. So my decision is to buy a new CPU + MOBO. Will my old hard drive work in my new Z77? Will it just be plug and play?
February 18, 2013 4:43:31 AM

lostgamer_03 said:
After so many years, I think you should basically get a new system from scratch. Save some money up and live as long as you can with the PC you got now. It would be a waste upgrading on such an ancient PC. PCs ages so fast these days.

Thanks for the help guys. So my decision is to buy a new CPU + MOBO. Will my old hard drive work in my new Z77? Will it just be plug and play?

also the new Mobo is 1 inch shorter in L and W than my prev one. Do i need to get the same L and W as my prev one in order for it to fit? sorry if this is a stupid question. I just thought that all atx fits. any help is appreciated
February 18, 2013 1:22:53 PM

kevinc_48 said:

also the new Mobo is 1 inch shorter in L and W than my prev one. Do i need to get the same L and W as my prev one in order for it to fit? sorry if this is a stupid question. I just thought that all atx fits. any help is appreciated

If it is ATX standard it will fit (assuming it can fit in your case).
I would think your HDD is SATA so you wil be fine; Pug and Play :) 

Don't be afraid of asking, nobody knows everything! I have build many systems and still learn everyday in the forum :D 
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2013 2:31:40 PM

add new ram to that mobo/proc combo also. the old won't work.
February 18, 2013 2:46:12 PM

swifty_morgan said:
add new ram to that mobo/proc combo also. the old won't work.

Yes! Forgot that, it's important!
February 18, 2013 9:57:26 PM

Best answer selected by kevinc_48.nnWill my 9800 gt bottleneck with this new processor and motherboard?
February 19, 2013 9:19:27 PM

AirSKiller said:
Good motherboard and good RAM :)  They will work just fine together. Btw, what CPU are you going to use?

I am buying the i3 3220.

The issue is, now that i have a new CPU, will my old 9800 gt bottleneck with it??
February 20, 2013 1:50:48 PM

The graphics card is always supposed to be the bottleneck... So that's ok. You can buy a new card later :) 
March 10, 2013 10:29:18 PM

kevinc_48 said:
Hello i current have an 4 year old gaming computer and want to upgrade my processor/cpu, unfortunately i do not know much about computers and would like your help! My current specs are
Nvidia 9800 gt
4 GB ram
Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60 GHz
Socket 775LGA
Bios: American Megatrend Inc. V2.5
Model: p43 Neo3 (MS-7514)

Again i am trying to figure which processor fits my computer and which would be the best to upgrade to with the price range around 100-200 dollars. Thank you !

Hi im still using socket 775 cpu is a intel E6600 quad runs just fine its on a asus p5q pro mobo 8mg kensington ram and at the moment im using 2 x gtx9800 as my nvidia gtx 550ti keep burning up i too was looking at upgrades and desided theres life in the old dog yet . dont let peeps talking you in to something thats going to cost you loads for little performance upgrades. run it till it pops best of british to you n good looki
!