Sign in with
Your question

Really Low budget recomendations

Last response: in Systems
October 4, 2012 4:52:12 PM

Yesterday, while working on an electronic prototype I blew my motherboard when I injected 240V AC on the serial port >_<
I'm an starving university student so I need my desktop machine up and running as fast as posible.

I was perfectly happy with my 3 years old E8500 CPU + G45 MB but I was going to upgrade at the end of the year and change to win8 before win xp support is removed. I mostly use linux so linux driver support is a majior requirement.

Prices on my local market add %30 to the prices listed on newegg (without rebates or promotions)

Approximate Purchase Date: Today / tomorrow

Budget Range: 200-250

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Compiling, General computing and not too CPU intensive engineering software. I like to watch some movies from time to time and rarelly pla games (don't need maximin setings on games really)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, mobo, ram, HDD

Do you need to buy OS: No (have an win8 license)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Local marquet. Prices on my country add %30 to the prices listed on newegg (without rebates or promotions)

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Since I'm buying a new mobo I'll definatelly have to buy new CPU and HDD (old one is ATA)

I would not like to buy GPU since I dont really play much and would like to keep power consumption low (this desktop can run 24h/day for a few days when needed). I've been thinking about an G620 CPU and P8H61-m LX, because I like the Serial port but it is not a strong requirement (actually, having to use a serial to usb converter would help prevent future mobo blow ups xD). USB3 and DVI would be nice.

I've been sugested AMD A4 and A6 procesors, with the intention of gaining on accelerated graphis and DX11 support. But I'm thinkinig it would hurt too much CPU performance when compiling code and won't have an upgrade path if I happen to find it terribly slow in a 6 months period. What about a celeron, is it too much slower than a G620? Should I buy a celeron and upgrade to a more capable i3 - i5 in the next 6-10 months. Will the G620 have noticeable performance increase when compared to my old E8500?

a b B Homebuilt system
October 4, 2012 6:00:04 PM

since you blew a motherboard i would replace that first. and keep your old system as it is
250 is not enough for a mobo/cpu/ram upgrade..intel chips are around 200 bucks not including mobo and ram
m
l
October 4, 2012 7:08:59 PM

I thought about that too, but it seems a waste of money to buy a motherboard that will most probably be replaced in 6 months or less. it wont be even posible to sell such a board.

I though I might get a decent mobo and a cheap G620 celeron and then upgrade the processor. But if performance gain of a g620 against the old E8500 is minimal (and I can find a LGA775 board arround here) I guess buying only a mobo is the way to go.
m
l
!