Will this PSU work with my current and future build?

DavidHK

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
Buying the Corsair CX600 v2.3 and wondering how reliable it is and how long it lasts. Will it work on my current build? I am buying it for my next upgrade, but am wondering if I could use it now.
Current specs:
Windows 7 64 bit, 1600x900
EVGA Geforce 650 GTX 2GB SC
Intel core duo e4600 @ 2.4 GHz
Gigagyte GA-EG31M-S2
2x2gb corsair SMX2 (4gb total)
The PSU I have right now is a 5+ yr old crappy generic brand that came with a case worth $50. I was wondering if using the CX600 on my current build would mess anything up.
My future upgrade includes the ASRock EXTREME3 motherboard and the AMD 6300 six core cpu ( 3.5GHz, 4.1GHz turbo) And 8gb Corsair Vengeance RAM instead of my current CPU and motherboard and RAM.
Future specs would be:
Windows 7 64 bit, 1600x900
EVGA Geforce 650 GTX 2GB SC
AMD 6300 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) six core CPU
ASRock EXTREME3 990FX
2x4GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
Would the PSU work with my future build and my current build? Thanks in advance!

the corsair cs series arent that good. it should work, but there are better options like this
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=59615&promoid=1257

and for the components, id suggest getting these instead

much better video card. nvidia cards are crap in value when you are under 200 dollars. getting a 2gb version is the biggest mistake you can make as the GPU itself isnt powerful enough to make use of it
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202004&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

ram
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=74758&promoid=1321

DavidHK

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012

I think you may have mis-read. It is CX not CS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

brianthesnail

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
hi david
as the big troll stated the corsair cx series are capable and should be more than capable of running both your current and future builds
the AMD six core processor is probally more efficent than your core 2 duo based processor and thus will use less power .. and the same applies with ddr3 ram which uses 1.5v compared to 1.8v with your previous ddr2 memory
and the list goes on ... the GTX650 with its kepler gpu is significantly more efficent than previous graphic cards using much less power while increasing performance
so allthough your corsair psu may not be one of their flagship models its still a decent and relaible psu ... and taking into account your new build will use less power than your currrent system i wouldnt be too concerned
other brands to consider are seasonic ( recommended ) and ocz ... and coolermaster do some decent units ( especially their high wattage models )
good luck with your new build !

knightdog56

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
I would go with the CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
It is a better power supply than the CX series, a little more money but it is worth every penny.

its a spelling error. either way i would recommend.

also the tx 650w isnt better than my recommendation. they are the same psus but different stickers.

well, to be honest, a i3 doesnt handle multi-player like a 6300 does..

trust me, you need more ram than 4gb. corsair vengeance isnt the best choice. all ram is about the same. and fast ram is equally as useless as a cheaper psu

nope. the 6300 performs better than the phenom ii.

DavidHK

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
It would really help if the OP stated what games they played, ie CPU intensive games like starcraft or GPU intensive games like Crysis or BF3.

i3 is pretty strong for most games, and a 6300 is only better in heavily multi-threaded games, like BF3.

You do not need more than 4gb of RAM. I've built multiple computers with both AMD and Intel in the last few months, you simply aren't going to use more than 4gb of RAM gaming. You can't. Unless you open up a million tabs of chrome, which is specifically memory intensive, moreso than any other browser, and you'd need tons and tons of tabs up for that.

All RAM is hardly the same, it just depends how you shop. There's a noticeable difference in 2400MHZ ram and 1600MHZ ram (not on AMD though, because it has such a bad IMC and you can't do that on AMD). It's not worth paying $50 more for such speed, but if you can find, say, BBSE ram for $25 on Ebay vs $20 for micron d9s, yea, it's definitely worth paying for.

The OP should just use the RAM they already have, really. Save the money, get an i5-3570k + z77 at microcenter (hopefully they live near by there, it'd help if they told us...).

6300 does not outperform the Phenom II in gaming. Phenom II actually outperforms the 6300 more often than not. I'm sure you can find one game or two that might be the exception, but it won't be a significant increase. Don't forget how much more expensive the 6300 is as well as the motherboard and the power draw.

You got to be insane to recommend an AMD FX chip over an i5 or Phenom II x4. And I've also built a Phenom x4, i5, i7, and AMD FX computer within the last year, so I have a bit of experience on this.

The reason I am upgrading is because the CPU intensive games like DayZ or badly coded Gmod gamemodes are not enjoyable with my CPU.