Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Advice on new LGA2011 build

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 4, 2012 5:46:07 PM

I am looking to build an LGA2011 system need advice. This will be my first ever build.

What I have:
CoolerMaster HAF 912 case (Will this case even be sufficient?)

nVidia GeForce GTX 650 2gb

Mushkin 8GB (2x4GBx2) DDR3 PC3-12800 7-9-8-24 Radioactive

Need advice on everything else.

More about : advice lga2011 build

October 4, 2012 6:01:39 PM

What exactly are you going to use this computer for? What sort of budget do you have? Where are you going to buy these parts from? A little more clarity would be helpful to everyone.
m
0
l
October 4, 2012 6:05:25 PM

mousseng said:
What exactly are you going to use this computer for? What sort of budget do you have? Where are you going to buy these parts from? A little more clarity would be helpful to everyone.


Whoops! Sorry. Mainly gaming. Thinking of getting the parts from TigerDirect or NewEgg. I'm in the US, so these are the easiest to use.

As for price, maybe around $1000. Give or take a couple hundred.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 4, 2012 6:09:43 PM

If your budget is $1000 I suggest looking into the LGA 1155. The processors are much more in line with what you want.
Look at the Toms Hardware $1000 machine from the most recent system builder marathon.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-overcloc...
It used an i5 3570K and a GTX 670 for a powerful gaming rig.
m
0
l
October 4, 2012 6:16:12 PM

pacioli said:
If your budget is $1000 I suggest looking into the LGA 1155. The processors are much more in line with what you want.
Look at the Toms Hardware $1000 machine from the most recent system builder marathon.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-overcloc...
It used an i5 3570K and a GTX 670 for a powerful gaming rig.


No. I know I can build an LGA2011 system for around 1k. I was just hoping for some advice, so I don't have to guess.

Edit:

Here's what I am currently looking at getting:
Processor
Mobo
PSU
HDD
m
0
l
October 4, 2012 6:28:17 PM

falloutguynv said:
No. I know I can build an LGA2011 system for around 1k. I was just hoping for some advice, so I don't have to guess.

If all you're doing is gaming, then LGA2011 won't have any benefit at all, really. If you're doing other things that will demand the power that LGA1155 can't give you, then you may need more than $1000. I'll see if I can't put anything together, though.
m
0
l
October 4, 2012 6:30:12 PM

See my edit above. I have no clue if those items will suffice. I will also be doing some media editing and coding.
m
0
l
October 4, 2012 6:40:02 PM

The i7-3820 is actually worse than an i7-3770k, in both games an productivity. They're both 4c/8t CPUs, and while the 3770k is a bit more pricey, the 1155 motherboards are much more affordable.

That PSU is quite a bit of overkill, and I'm always wary of OCZ's power supplies. You'd be better off with something like a high-quality 550W (Rosewill Capstone 550M, for example) than that (unless you plan on putting two 690s into that computer).

Velociraptors aren't really worth the premium, if you ask me - SSDs far outspeed them, and bulk storage doesn't really need to be fast. If you want a fast hard drive, a Caviar Black would be just fine. Couple that with either a 90GB or 128GB SSD for your OS and some programs, and you'd be pretty well set.
m
0
l
October 4, 2012 6:42:42 PM

mousseng said:
The i7-3820 is actually worse than an i7-3770k, in both games an productivity. They're both 4c/8t CPUs, and while the 3770k is a bit more pricey, the 1155 motherboards are much more affordable.

That PSU is quite a bit of overkill, and I'm always wary of OCZ's power supplies. You'd be better off with something like a high-quality 550W (Rosewill Capstone 550M, for example) than that (unless you plan on putting two 690s into that computer).

Velociraptors aren't really worth the premium, if you ask me - SSDs far outspeed them, and bulk storage doesn't really need to be fast. If you want a fast hard drive, a Caviar Black would be just fine. Couple that with either a 90GB or 128GB SSD for your OS and some programs, and you'd be pretty well set.


Can you maybe link me to some items that you think are better then what I did? Also, will my case still be sufficient? I would still prefer the LGA2011 mobo. But maybe I can rethink that.
m
0
l
October 4, 2012 7:02:15 PM

You can certainly make an LGA 2011 system for under $1000. The point being that if you do that you will have to sacrifice gaming performance. The processor is not a limiting factor in most modern games, the graphics is your limiting factor. The idea is to spend enough on the processor to not limit performance in any way and then spend the remaining budget on the graphics.
The LGA 2011 chipset is intended for high-end processing and it certainly meats the requirement for not limiting the gaming experience.
The minimum buy in on the chip is $300 for the i7 3820.
The minimum mobo price is $180 for this MSI board.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
I'd actually recommend this board at $210
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The 4 channel memory also adds cost $80 for 16 Gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(9-9-9-24 cas 9 1600 Mhz is plenty fast and does not offer a performance advatage over cas 7 memory)
Just these three basic components use $560- $590 of your budget.
An LGA 1155 system would offer better performance than the i7 3820 system (plus more features to boot) would use up under $450 of your budget. That gives you an extra $110- $140 to spend on graphics.
m
0
l
October 4, 2012 7:05:11 PM

falloutguynv said:
Can you maybe link me to some items that you think are better then what I did? Also, will my case still be sufficient?

The HAF912 should easily fit everything into it, so long as the motherboard is ATX and not eATX.

If I were to do an LGA2011 build, it would be this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 86.2 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($66.85 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.00 @ NCIX US)
Total: $955.82
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

However, since you're primarily using this for gaming, that's really just a huge waste of money - no games use more than 8 threads (maybe even only 6), so the 3930k is rendered useless, really. SB-E is less efficient per clock than Ivy Bridge, so if you really want that multithreaded performance, a 3770k would be the way to go:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($309.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 86.2 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($66.85 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $991.79
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

This 1155 build costs just as much, but lets you get an SSD and a better video card, meaning it'll do both media editing AND gaming better than the 3820-based build and the 3930k-based build.

Sorry for the long post. Edit: I noticed the PCPP lists don't show the non-discounted cost. Worst-case scenarios right now for both are $1005 and $1001 respectively.
m
0
l
October 4, 2012 7:30:20 PM

mousseng said:
The HAF912 should easily fit everything into it, so long as the motherboard is ATX and not eATX.

If I were to do an LGA2011 build, it would be this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 86.2 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($66.85 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.00 @ NCIX US)
Total: $955.82
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

However, since you're primarily using this for gaming, that's really just a huge waste of money - no games use more than 8 threads (maybe even only 6), so the 3930k is rendered useless, really. SB-E is less efficient per clock than Ivy Bridge, so if you really want that multithreaded performance, a 3770k would be the way to go:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($309.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 86.2 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($66.85 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $991.79
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

This 1155 build costs just as much, but lets you get an SSD and a better video card, meaning it'll do both media editing AND gaming better than the 3820-based build and the 3930k-based build.

Sorry for the long post. Edit: I noticed the PCPP lists don't show the non-discounted cost. Worst-case scenarios right now for both are $1005 and $1001 respectively.


If this is the recommendations, I might as well keep what I have with my current build:

Intel Core i7 Processor i7-2700K 3.5GHz
Asus P8B75-V LGA1155 Mobo
nVidia GeForce GTX 650 2gb
Mushkin 8GB (2x4GBx2) DDR3 PC3-12800 7-9-8-24 Radioactive (16gigs total)
Seagate 1tb HDD
Antec TP750
m
0
l
October 4, 2012 7:36:00 PM

falloutguynv said:
If this is the recommendations, I might as well keep what I have with my current build:

Intel Core i7 Processor i7-2700K 3.5GHz
Asus P8B75-V LGA1155 Mobo
nVidia GeForce GTX 650 2gb
Mushkin 8GB (2x4GBx2) DDR3 PC3-12800 7-9-8-24 Radioactive (16gigs total)
Seagate 1tb HDD
Antec TP750

Yes, that'd likely be best. You'd see no huge difference between that and a 2011 build. You may consider upgrading your video card, but other than that your current rig is perfectly good at what you seem to want to use it for.

A motherboard + CPU cooler upgrade is another option, in case you want to overclock.
m
0
l
October 4, 2012 7:38:42 PM

mousseng said:
Yes, that'd likely be best. You'd see no huge difference between that and a 2011 build. You may consider upgrading your video card, but other than that your current rig is perfectly good at what you seem to want to use it for.

A motherboard + CPU cooler upgrade is another option, in case you want to overclock.


Overclock? Nah. Wouldn't know what to do. I'd probably kill my system with the quickness. But since I decided to keep my current build, I might as well get advice on a new graphics card. I do want to stick with nVidia, because I don't want to go through Radeon Hell with Fedora 17. I dual-boot Win7/Fedora.
m
0
l
October 4, 2012 7:45:56 PM

Here is a comparison of the i7 3770K vs the i7 3820
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/523?vs=551
The similiarly priced 3770K outperforms the 3820.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-37...
Another benchmark set... This one gives the same results, but see also the i5 3570K that actually beats the i7 3770K in some tests. That proc costs $100 less than the i7 3770K!
The reason is the hyperthreading. In highly threaded environments like encoding/editing etc. the i7 3770K wins. In less highly threaded environments (like games) hyperthreading actually decreases per thread performance and the i5 3570K comes out on top.
In reality the performance of all three of these chips is so close that you will not notice any performance difference between them.
Q. So why pay more?
A. Bragging rights... In other words it is the age old story "my #$%!# is bigger than yours"
m
0
l
October 4, 2012 7:50:47 PM

falloutguynv said:
If this is the recommendations, I might as well keep what I have with my current build:

Intel Core i7 Processor i7-2700K 3.5GHz
Asus P8B75-V LGA1155 Mobo
nVidia GeForce GTX 650 2gb
Mushkin 8GB (2x4GBx2) DDR3 PC3-12800 7-9-8-24 Radioactive (16gigs total)
Seagate 1tb HDD
Antec TP750


Moving to an i7 3820 from what you have would not be an upgrade at all. It would be more like a side-grade...

If you are looking to upgrade I'd spend it on the graphics... Obviously you just got that GTX 650. If you have a EVGA you can do a Step-Up to a GTX 660. Otherwise sell it and get a GTX 660 Ti or 670.
m
0
l
October 4, 2012 7:57:55 PM

pacioli said:
Moving to an i7 3820 from what you have would not be an upgrade at all. It would be more like a side-grade...

If you are looking to upgrade I'd spend it on the graphics... Obviously you just got that GTX 650. If you have a EVGA you can do a Step-Up to a GTX 660. Otherwise sell it and get a GTX 660 Ti or 670.

This is the one I have:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Maybe I should upgrade to this:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
m
0
l
October 4, 2012 7:59:26 PM

falloutguynv said:
Overclock? Nah. Wouldn't know what to do. I'd probably kill my system with the quickness. But since I decided to keep my current build, I might as well get advice on a new graphics card. I do want to stick with nVidia, because I don't want to go through Radeon Hell with Fedora 17. I dual-boot Win7/Fedora.

Overclocking's pretty simple now, but I'm not here to convince you to do it.

On the video card side, I'm not sure what exactly Fedora's issue with Radeons is, but you know more about it than I do. I think you'd be best off with a GTX 670 - I don't have any direct comparisons between that and a 650 at hand, but here:

Comparing the 650 to the 660ti (which is obviously weaker than the 670), there's a huge jump in quality. Gigabyte's Windforce is a solid option - good cooler, good price.
m
0
l
October 4, 2012 8:22:30 PM

mousseng said:
Overclocking's pretty simple now, but I'm not here to convince you to do it.

On the video card side, I'm not sure what exactly Fedora's issue with Radeons is, but you know more about it than I do. I think you'd be best off with a GTX 670 - I don't have any direct comparisons between that and a 650 at hand, but here: http://media.bestofmicro.com/U/G/352312/original/MaxPayne3%20HIGH.png

Comparing the 650 to the 660ti (which is obviously weaker than the 670), there's a huge jump in quality. Gigabyte's Windforce is a solid option - good cooler, good price.

Plus a bit cheaper then the 680 I linked to.
m
0
l
October 4, 2012 8:53:10 PM

The 670 actually performs close to the 680... It really is a good value at it's price point
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 1:49:36 PM

I ordered the Windforce. Thank you everyone for the help. But do I really need to choose a best answer on this? All advice was great. I wouldn't feel right choosing just one.
m
0
l
!