Using monitor hooked up to laptop

jordanmc

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Hello,
i want to buy a 22 inch 1920 x 1080 monitor from curry's to connect to my laptop with a vga to vga connector, however my laptop only supports resolutions up to 1366 x 768.... if i get this monitor will it cut part of the screen off / affect quality and text in any way... important because i dont want to waste £100

jordanmc

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
i will want to keep the laptop shut but cant afford a desktop atm that's the reason i want a monitor. Basically imitating a desktop, but thanks for the advice, if i bought the monitor and it wasnt what i wanted would i be able to return? cheers again

jordanmc

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
@TheBigTroll is your laptop resolution the same as mine, and what monitor is it /size if you don't mind me asking

my laptop resolution is 1366x768 exactly like yours. my monitor is a asus pa238qr which is 1080p. the monitor runs at 768p but it is full screen. the monitor adjusts accordingly to display 768p. i dont see a decrease in sharpness though.

im pretty sure you can adjust the resolution on the laptop to make it 1080p but i havent done it yet

jordanmc

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
thanks mate, what monitor is it? im going to be getting a usb hub and microsoft sidewinder X4 keyboard aswell:D birthday in 20 days

If you can adjust the video to put out 1920x1080, you would have a much clearer view on the screen. The monitor is designed with a native 1928x1080 resolution, and when it adjusts down, it will not be as clear - it may look a little fuzzy. Is the 1366 x 768 a limitation of the laptop screen, or the laptops video card?

if it is intergrated graphics on a laptop, dont bother with 1080p output. i cant even play cod at 768p with intergrated hd graphics (first gen hd graphics suck)

@jordanmc: yeah my monitor has 4 usb outputs using a intergrated hub. you will have to plug in a usb cable to the system though

i cant find the QR but the Q is about the same (the q is a better version of the qr with calibration and quick fit. quick fit helps when you try to make a document and scale it accordingly to the printed size)

kinda expensive
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=64587&vpn=PA238Q&manufacture=ASUS

festerovic

Distinguished
Except he doesn't want screen scaling. Jordanmc, if your laptop outputs only 1366x768, then your new monitor is going to look blurry and not as clean as it could.

Who makes the graphics on the laptop? Intel, nvidia or amd?

jordanmc

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
The extended desktop option extends the display? i want the display on the external monitor running off my laptop as if it's a desktop

festerovic

Distinguished
LOL its meant as an extension of the desktop on the laptop. See, if you do it clone mode, the new monitor will go to the highest shared resolution between them - 1366x768, no bueno.

If you can set the primary display, you could make the new screen full size at 1080p, and everything will work fine. That requires the graphics on board to support this, which it may not.

jordanmc

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
ohhhh you mean set the monitor as the main display so that the start screen ect are on the monitor and the extended part displayed on the laptop? sorry im a noob

jordanmc

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
If after all that it doesn't work would i be able to take back to curry's and get a refund? i dont want to be £100 out of pocket

festerovic

Distinguished
That's between you and the currys. Why don't you bring the laptop in and try it? Surely they have display models. Surely one of your friends has a monitor or you do to test this out with a monitor before you buy one?