Scratch Removal ?

dingo07

Distinguished
you have to understand First that anything you touch the original plastic with is going to scratch it, so don't expect to buff out just the scratch and have it look similar to the "original" plastic - no matter how well you buff it out, it will be faded compared to the original, which means, you're likely to do the final buff process on the entire piece of plastic so it all looks the same

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I'll test it on an area not visible first. The case is a CM Elite 311 I used in a build for a client. He apparently layed something rough on the plastic surface that left scuff marks and scratches in the material. I'm not sure if the window is plastic or plexiglass. I'm assuming plastic due to the low cost of the case.

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

Plexiglass is plastic. It is just the brand name for the acrylic plastic manufactured by the Rohm and Haas Company. Whether or not the scratches can be removed effectively depends a great deal on their extent. You could try Novus plastic polish. It is the most widely used polish in the sign and automotive industry for dealing with surface issues.
http://www.novuspolish.com/

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

You're right of course about plexiglass being plastic. But originally, plexiglass was an acrylic form of clear plastic made with acrylic acid. But, yes, the terms are interchangeable.

I may just see if a replacement side panel is available if this headlight restore stuff doesn't work. I'd hate to spend too much on the repair of the case. It was only a $40 case to begin with.