Sign in with
Your question

Loss Of Performance

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 13, 2012 5:49:43 PM

What could cause a sudden loss in the performance of games?
Sudden as in it happened in one day. And to a new pc, just a few months old.

More about : loss performance

August 13, 2012 6:00:38 PM

Virus or Malware
a c 204 U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 6:00:50 PM

Could be a driver issue or a heat/power issue (most likely candidates).

What are the specs for your system? What has changed recently? Are you omintoring your system temperatures? Have you scanned for viruses/malware lately?

Please clarify.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 6:13:18 PM

Could be a multitude of things, you're questions a bit vague, are you experiencing sudden drop in frame rates? Slow loading?

*Clean out video drivers and reinstall them
*Run antivirus\malware scanner
*DeFragment your hard drive
*Check your hardware temperatures, graphics card might overheating and setting to lower clock settings which requires a restart or disabling\enabling driver in driver manager.

For removing files left over from drivers. Install latest drivers for your specified video card.
http://phyxion.net/Driver-Sweeper/Driver-Sweeper/

To check temperatures:
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

For cleaning junk files:
http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

Defratmenting:
http://www.piriform.com/defraggler/download

Useful tool for hardrives:
http://www.hdtune.com/
August 13, 2012 6:20:35 PM

I5 3570k,
7850 power edition, overclocked a little, but barely used the overclock.
Gigabyte Ud5h

My temps are always good, max 65 degrees. Normally 40-55.
I'm using the 9.14.10.0920. Catalyst 12.6 driver.
I scanned for viruses with malwarebytes earlier because I heard this could be the problem earlier.
It found these:
Files Detected: 5
C:\Windows\Setup\scripts\faXcooL.exe (HackTool.Wpakill) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
E:\Downloads\downloadmanager_Setup (1).exe (PUP.Bundle.Installer.OI) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
E:\Downloads\downloadmanager_Setup (2).exe (PUP.Bundle.Installer.OI) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
E:\Downloads\downloadmanager_Setup (3).exe (PUP.Bundle.Installer.OI) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
E:\Downloads\downloadmanager_Setup.exe (PUP.Bundle.Installer.OI) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

But removing them changed nothing.

Recently, the pc's been a lot more active than usual, with games and I've started to play blacklight retribution.
a c 204 U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 6:22:55 PM

What anti-virus application are you using?
August 13, 2012 6:23:42 PM

My cpu is at 70 degrees with a 40% load.
August 13, 2012 6:24:37 PM

Should an i5 3570k be at 40-50% load just with WoW open, and 4x aa?
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 6:25:43 PM

What are your clock speeds?

Malawarebytes should be used in conjunction with an ntivirus like Norton or Kaspersky etc, imo.

Temperatures are not bad either for GPU.

CPU is high.

What is your thermal compound, heatsink, and CPU clock settings?

70C is very high for 40%. My 2500k hits a little over 50C at 4.5ghz on prime95.

Go ahead and install newest drivers and don't overclock it, disable all GPU overclocking, then restart, try your game.

Download your drivers from here:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
August 13, 2012 6:30:50 PM

I'm using the standard cpu cooler than came with the i5.
My gpu clocks are at the factory overclock, and my cpu clocks are at their default.
What do you recommend I do about the anti-virus?
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 6:31:06 PM

I don't use gigabyte boards, did your computer come with software that auto overclocks, if so disable and uninstall that junk, I know Asus has auto overclocking software and its terrible.
August 13, 2012 6:31:31 PM

I did the overclocking myself, I'm not sure what auto overclocking software is, but I haven't found anything like.
August 13, 2012 6:31:55 PM

I'm using malwarebytes.
August 13, 2012 6:32:35 PM

Aren't the 12.6 drivers the latest?
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 6:39:04 PM

adzx said:
Aren't the 12.6 drivers the latest?

Yes they are, just making sure you have them.
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 6:41:16 PM

COLGeek said:
Malwarebytes is not an anti-virus program. Get Microsoft Security Essentials (see below). It if free and effective. DO a full scan.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/sec...

That's a good option too.

Malware\virus infection seems so unusual to me these days to cause a performance issue, I've not had an infection since early XP. I've seen people download the fake scanners so many times though, no common sense.
August 13, 2012 6:50:20 PM

My cpu usuage went to 66% with Wow and defraggler open, the temps reached 77, so I had to close WoW.

My overclock settings are almost always at the msi default settings, which are overclocks:
1034 mV
950 MHz Core
1200 MHz Memory.

But a few times I've changed it to
1149 mV
1208 MHz core
1230 MHz Memory

August 13, 2012 6:52:52 PM

Is there anything else I can use besides Security Essentials, atm I'm tunning Avast, and it didn't find the files that malwarebytes did.
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 6:56:05 PM

I would suggest you get a new CPU cooler and use mx-4 thermal paste

For now go ahead and try those other things I recommended. As the other guy said use Windows Essentials to scan since its free and report back; try not to run multiple anti virus software. So go ahead and use MSE and Malawarebytes in conjuction with each other only; MSE(Microsoft security essentials)is pretty good. Keep everything at default clocks, try your games too.
a c 123 U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 6:57:53 PM

What exactly makes you think your computer isn't performing as well?

a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 7:04:30 PM

photonboy said:
What exactly makes you think your computer isn't performing as well?

Yeah, I would still like a clear point, he shouldn't be getting bad performance in a game like black light though with a 7850.
August 13, 2012 8:16:42 PM

I can't use MSE, could I have a substitute?
August 13, 2012 8:17:12 PM

I was getting lag in Blacklight, where I didn't before. And I was averaging 75fps in WoW, now I get 30-60.
August 13, 2012 8:20:20 PM

I don't mind if it's not free, I need one anyway.
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 10:03:29 PM

Sorry for late response, I had another class. Norton 360 is cheap and works well.
August 14, 2012 7:10:01 AM

I clocked high while doing a stress test, to see how things work out. And my fps dropped to 5-10, however, when I took my gpu out, and put it back in. It was back to normal, but not how it was before.
August 14, 2012 1:11:37 PM

Also, strangely my gpu usage gets to 90-95% while playing WoW. The WoW settings are all maxed, but only 4x AA. Normally this card would get 74fps average on 4x AA, But I'm gettting 30-50.
a c 204 U Graphics card
August 14, 2012 1:27:44 PM

So, are you running Avast? Is it current and did you do a full scan of your system?

According to Malwarebytes (updated of course), is your system now clean? With Avast (it will find different things, if present) is the system clean?

Also, I suggest you return all settings back to stock speeds (CPU, GPU, and memory, if applicable) and then run your games. You need a solid baseline for comparison.

August 14, 2012 3:03:44 PM

Everything is at stock speeds, Avast and malwarebytes are both updated, and both show my system is clean.
August 14, 2012 3:21:21 PM

No changes
a c 204 U Graphics card
August 14, 2012 3:56:28 PM

Go into your Task Manager. Click the performance tab with no apps open. What CPU usage is showing?

You also look at the processes tab to see if any unusual activity is running at an abnormally high level.

August 14, 2012 4:11:19 PM

adzx said:
Also, strangely my gpu usage gets to 90-95% while playing WoW. The WoW settings are all maxed, but only 4x AA. Normally this card would get 74fps average on 4x AA, But I'm gettting 30-50.

It sounds like you've got a few things going on here and some of these resets may have caused you to inadvertently reset some settings in your drivers without realizing it. I've found that if you enable the AA in the game that it can cause a performance problem. Try disabling AA in WoW and making sure it is enabled in your catalyst drivers. Reboot the system and then report back.

In addition to that your CPU seems to be producing far too much heat for the load. The CPU cooler I was recommended for my new build is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. It is ~$30 and could help you with your CPU temperatures. If you've got $50 to invest into it you could find a water cooling solution.
a b U Graphics card
August 14, 2012 5:43:31 PM

For water cooling, h80 or h100 are very easy to install and work fantastic.

ncasolo mentioned the first thing I thought it could be was drivers resting which does sound like like a possibility. I've seen my drivers crash and reset and go under stock settings when they are being pushed to much or overclocked to high. Turn down your graphics all the way in WoW, restart your PC, then go back into WoW and slowly turn settings up and see how that goes.
a b U Graphics card
August 14, 2012 5:50:51 PM

And if that does not work either, uninstall drivers, reseat your GPU; so many things can go wrong in a PC.

I had a weird case where my sound card set at 192khz in Skyrim caused my computer video drivers to crash and go black every time I started the game; who would have guessed that?
August 14, 2012 11:34:12 PM

Could you give me the steps to thoroughly reinstalling my driver?
a b U Graphics card
August 14, 2012 11:54:37 PM

First:
Go to start button then right clock on my computer and select manage.
Go to device manager and under "Display Adapters" right click on your graphics card select "Uninstall;" check the little box that asks if you'd like to remove software as well.

Secondly:
Once you've completed step "1" download and install this:

http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html

Now, upon installation, run the program and select ATI\AMD(whatever shows up for your graphics card), remove any left overs for your drivers.

Now once that is done, restart. It may asks you to restart, if so, proceed.

Thirdly, remove your Graphic Card from the PCI slot inside your case(power down and unplug, wait 30 seconds first) Seat the graphics card in another slot, if available, if not, just pull it out and seat it carefully back into the PCI slot.

Make sure it's firmly inserted, don't force it in! Make sure all cables are firmly connected, now power on your computer.

Now go to the following link and download your graphics card drivers:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Thirdly:

Now once you've install your drivers, restart. Try your game.

-Notes-

*Make sure there is no software that automatically overclocks your card in windows.
*Make sure your not overclocking anything.
*Try other games besides the ones you have to see if they do the same thing.
*Check your 3D settings in ATI control panel and set them accordingly.

Hope this helps!
August 15, 2012 8:12:12 PM

Ok, I think that worked, I'm now getting 40-60 fps with 50% usage, whereas before it was 30-40fps with 100% usage. Although, my CCC didn't install properly, it had the error message "warnings occured during installation" and when I try to start up CCC it says "could not load file or assembly "CLI.Implemtation" or one of it's dependencies. The system cannot find the specified file.

Also, even though the fps gain is good, it still isn't the same as a benchmark of this card.
August 15, 2012 8:26:49 PM

And my cpu usuage is now at 40%, 33% from just WoW.
August 15, 2012 9:58:09 PM

I fixed the ccc problem by repairing .net and reinstalling ccc.
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2012 9:58:38 PM

Glad to hear your problem is solved! :D 

If you have any more issues later, just come back to the forums and someone can assist you.
!