CPU FAN's

jefe9

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
My self build chassis has 3 Fans; but the ASUS motherboard BIOS software is only displaying Fan speeds for 2 of these Fan's - the CPU FAN and the CHA Fan.

There is a setting for the Fan's to have a [ silent mode, standard mode and turbo mode ] which I suspect are just controlling the fan speeds. But, there is no discernible change is noise when I select different fan speeds.

The PC has a habit of hanging at somewhat regular intervals, which I worry is due to overheating; even thout the CPU temperature is given as 25degrees and the MB temp is given as 28 degrees.

Is overheating a likely cause for the system to simply freeze?
What can I do to diagnose further and correct this?

Thanks Jefe

jefe9

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
The PSU is a mesh one, with 550W; the memory if new DDR 4GB, which seems ok

The system hangs under several circumstances; eg
- writing an email (only) ... must be light load.
- Watching Youtube video
- clicking on a screen menu ... again a light load

The motherboard is an ASUS microATX, with Intel i3 processor (2.7GHz)
4GB RAM in one card;

Thanks

Jefe

knightdog56

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Don't think it is a heat issue, try running memtest86 to see if you get any errors, also never heard of a mesh one power supply, if you can test with a known good power supply that might solve your problem, make sure ALL power supply connections are secure.

jefe9

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013

You must have the power of foresight here!

The desktop always boots straight into Ubuntu 12.10 Linux. But, after your message it booted into a boot selection menu, with memtest86 as the 2nd choice. Took 2 hours and 4 minutes and all 3 passes through the tests worked.

I will check the power supply connectors next - are the symptoms i described typical for PSH problems - ie random freezes, often under low loads?

Thanks

Jefe