Sign in with
Your question

Advice on new laptop

Last response: in Systems
October 4, 2012 7:50:52 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: 1-3months

Budget Range: $1000-$1800 Before Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Everyday computing, browsing, music/dvd/br playpack on a 50" screen, video editing w/lightworks, very light 3d modeling using Inventor Professional/Autocad.

Are you buying a monitor: I have a Samsung 50" 1080p 120hz screen i use for playback on br movies and whatnot. So I'm either looking for a smaller laptop with another external screen (24"?) or just a larger FHD screen on the laptop itself, or run all 3. Regardless, the price of the monitor is not included in the price of the system. Not sure which way to go, having the external monitor beside a 17" FHD screen on the laptop wouldn't be bad for editing, but i'm skilled in making the best out of small screen areas. Maybe just a nice screen on the laptop for now, with potential to run another external monitor later.

Parts to Upgrade: New laptop

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com, whatever pcpartpicker recommends

Parts Preferences: Intel, Nvidia

Overclocking: Maybe? Don't know much about the possibility of OC on a laptop

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: FHD preferred

Additional Comments: I'd like an SSD in there somewhere :) 

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Someone offered me a ridiculous price on my Desktop that was getting a little old (or maybe just boring :)  ) so i gave it up. Heres the brief specs on what i was used to using: E8500 OC to 3.8, 4G DDR3-1600, Nvidia Quardo FX3700 (not looking for a workstation class card with this new build)

More about : advice laptop

!