Tin Soldiers: Alexander The Great Now Available!

Last response: in Video Games
October 8, 2004 1:18:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.wargames (More info?)

I'm pleased to announce that we have successfully completed Tin Soldiers:
Alexander the Great(TM)! The game was written to be strategically and
historically accurate. The game contains detailed portrayal of Alexander's
genius strategies. You might learn to use Alexander's phalanx
formation better than he could. If you are a fan of ancients, I hope
you find this game fun and educational. If you are new to strategy games,
I think you will be pleasantly surprised how easy it is to learn yet
difficult to master.

The game can currently be found for digital download or boxed retail
version at http://www.matrixgames.com.

Happy gaming!

Marshall Belew
Lead Developer
Koios Works, LLC
http://www.koiosworks.com/

---------------------

Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great(TM)
http://www.matrixgames.com/

Description

Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great(TM) is a new wargame with a classic style.
Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great places you in the role of Alexander the
Great during his conquest of the known world. Guide Alexander through his
grand campaign from inheriting his father's legacy at the battle of Thebes
to his conquest of Darius III and the Persian Empire through his last great
battle at the Hydaspes, in the heart of Asia.

Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great(TM) is pioneering many new and exciting
features. Favoring the grandeur and hand crafted look of miniature figures
we are eschewing the current gaming trend toward ultra realism. Our artists
spend their time drawing hundreds of individually adorned soldiers rather
than countless hours animating clones of identically clad animations
scratching their backsides! The game plays like a beautiful miniatures battle
from the historical units down to the table terrain, but with the advantages
of a computer opponent and a more dynamic turn structure.

Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great(TM) is indeed turn based, but with a twist.
We have developed an engine for simultaneous turn based strategy. A player
does not take turns with his opponents, instead each opponent plans out their
strategy and issues orders to their units simultaneously, then presses a
play button and the battle rages as all the units execute their orders for
that turn in unison - just like RTS, but for the twitch impaired. In
addition, our unique "reaction" system enables mid-turn adjustments to
battle strategy.

The campaign unfolds with 3D panoramas of the different battlefields. The
battle scenarios and troop placements are based on real historic events with
entertaining, educational, and non-fiction cut-scene storytelling. More than
just a set of separate battles, the campaign allows you to make decisions in
between battles on which units to reinforce, whether to recruit new units
and how many of your resources to focus on training. Commanders can be
replaced and "battle cards" with a variety of game effects can be stockpiled
against future need. Fight as Alexander as you face off against Greeks,
Persians, Egyptians and the Indian Army with its Elephants.

Battles can be won by breaking the enemy army or by achieving a series of
historical objectives. The alternate victory conditions combine with the
reaction system, the battle cards and the between battle campaign decisions
to create incredible replayability. Moreover, as each battle in the campaign
is unlocked, it becomes available for single player skirmish play.

For those seeking a living opponent, Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great(TM)
includes support for multiplayer over the internet and local network
(via TCP/IP). Any of the campaign battles can be selected or players can
choose one of the two special multi-player scenarios: Bactria and Elysium.

Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great(TM) does not have a steep learning curve -
to the contrary, it's easy to pick up, fun to play and difficult to master.
We believe that historical strategy gamers, miniatures gamers and fans of
Alexander will be interested in this title for its value as a game and as a
way to experience the campaigns of Alexander and test yourself against
perhaps the highest of benchmarks in military history.

Game Data
---------

Complexity: Easy
Field of Play: Campaign and Battles
Historical Period: Ancient
Theatre: Greece, Persia, Egypt, India
Unit Scale: Regiments / Phalanxes
Turn Play: 15 Minute Battle Turns
Players: 2
AI: Yes
TCP/IP: Yes
PBEM: No
Game Editor: No

Requirements
------------

Windows 98/Me/2000/XP
Pentium II 550 Mhz, AMD K6-3 500
128 MB RAM (256 MB for XP)
64 MB Video Card DirectX 9.0B compatible
Sound Card DirectX 9.0B compatible
8X CD-ROM
1 GB Harddisk space
DirectX 9.0B (included)
..NET Framework: 1.1 .NET Framework (included)
Microsoft Media Player 9.0 or higher
October 8, 2004 9:39:40 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.wargames (More info?)

Argh! $60.00. No Demo. No Refunds...

Too bad, I really would like to try this game. Perhaps if everybody
and their dog raves about how this is the best game every made in the
history of the planet, I MIGHT put it on my Christmas wish list.

----------------------------

"Base not your joy upon the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away."
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 3:59:51 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.wargames (More info?)

The game is $49.99 for digital download. $59.99 for CD. While there
is no playable demo (yet) there is a fairly useful flash demo at the
developer site: http://www.koiosworks.com/.

I'm glad to hear that the game might make it to your Christmas wish
list ;-)

Marshall Belew

----

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=725958
Purchasing Options and Prices

The game isl be available as a Digital Download and priced at $49.99
USD

The game is also be offered as a "Packaged Product" or "PC CD-ROM"
product for $59.99. In fact you can do both a Digital Download and the
Packaged Product / PC CD-ROM for $59.99.

To better understand the terms we are using please read below. If you
have any questions please post here.

What is a Digital Download?
Our Digital Download service sends you a download link to the master
game file once your order is complete. You can use this link to
download the game directly to your computer over the internet and
start playing right away. The download is available to you for thirty
days after your order. No shipping is involved and the game is
immediately available for you once the order is complete.

What is the Packaged Product? (Currently called "PC CD-ROM")
If all you want is a boxed copy of the game without any digital
download, select this choice. If you select "Packaged Product" you
will be billed to have the game shipped to you. Our Packaged Product
provides you with a DVD box with a CD and your serial number.

The Best of Both Worlds Digital Downloads and Packaged Product!
(Currently called "Digital & CD-ROM")
When you select this option you can use our digital download option to
get the game right away and start playing. Then have a boxed copy of
the game shipped to you as a backup for permanent storage. With a
backup, you'll be prepared for whatever comes your way-whether it's a
system crash, a computer virus damaging your files or the software
simply no longer functioning as it should. You will be billed to have
the game shipped in a DVD box with a CD and your serial number.

Can I order a game without downloading?

Yes! Just order the "PC CD-ROM" version and you will get a printed
game box with a printed CD shipped to you with no need for download.
Also, with the Digital & PC CD-ROM version, there is no need to
actually download the game to get the game box shipped to you, but the
download is there if you want it.

Regards,

- Erik

_____________________________

Matrix Games

Skip <Skip@NoAddress.invalid> wrote in message news:<1097282016.+ywjVyn1bD/yzUDFeKjV/g@1usenet>...
> Argh! $60.00. No Demo. No Refunds...
>
> Too bad, I really would like to try this game. Perhaps if everybody
> and their dog raves about how this is the best game every made in the
> history of the planet, I MIGHT put it on my Christmas wish list.
>
> ----------------------------
>
> "Base not your joy upon the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away."
October 10, 2004 3:48:38 AM

"Marshall Belew" <mbelew@koiosworks.com> wrote in message
> The game is $49.99 for digital download. $59.99 for CD. While there
> is no playable demo (yet) there is a fairly useful flash demo at the
> developer site: http://www.koiosworks.com/.
>
> I'm glad to hear that the game might make it to your Christmas wish
> list ;-)

Great game so far.

Terry
October 10, 2004 7:39:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.wargames (More info?)

So, is this game worth it? If one has RTW will there be real value in this
game? I think it would be good if someone who actually has the game can
give some feedback.

Thanks guys

Bill
October 10, 2004 11:45:53 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.wargames (More info?)

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 23:48:38 GMT, "Terry McKelvey"
<terry7404mckelvey@verizon.net> wrote:

>"Marshall Belew" <mbelew@koiosworks.com> wrote in message
>> The game is $49.99 for digital download. $59.99 for CD. While there
>> is no playable demo (yet) there is a fairly useful flash demo at the
>> developer site: http://www.koiosworks.com/.
>>
>> I'm glad to hear that the game might make it to your Christmas wish
>> list ;-)
>
>Great game so far.
>
>Terry

I have tried to view the flash demo, unfortunately I have some setting
that is preventing it from loading. (I verified that it is my
computer, not the site).

I have so much security piled on my internet connection, that it is
not readily apparent where the flash presentation is being blocked.
:-)

----------------------------

"Base not your joy upon the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away."
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 3:46:46 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.wargames (More info?)

RTW and TS-ATG are completely different game styles. TS-ATG is a
closer relative to games like Panzer General. At least, that's what
people tell me; I've never played Panzer General. Although, I think
that if you do like RTW, you might like TS-ATG.

I won't answer the 'worth-it' question because I'm obviously biased.
You know what my answer will be ;-) I'll let someone who's played it
answer.

"Bill" <wlambrukos@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<F92ad.213252$MQ5.201281@attbi_s52>...
> So, is this game worth it? If one has RTW will there be real value in this
> game? I think it would be good if someone who actually has the game can
> give some feedback.
>
> Thanks guys
>
> Bill
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 6:58:54 PM

Marshall Belew wrote:

> The game is $49.99 for digital download. $59.99 for CD. While there
> is no playable demo (yet) there is a fairly useful flash demo at the
> developer site: http://www.koiosworks.com/.

A demo would be appreciated. In my case, I won't purchase a game without
a demo. Too many barely played games on my shelf taught me a lesson. :)

M.
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 6:58:55 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.wargames (More info?)

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 14:58:54 +0200, Michael Vondung
<mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:

>Marshall Belew wrote:
>
>> The game is $49.99 for digital download. $59.99 for CD. While there
>> is no playable demo (yet) there is a fairly useful flash demo at the
>> developer site: http://www.koiosworks.com/.
>
>A demo would be appreciated. In my case, I won't purchase a game without
>a demo. Too many barely played games on my shelf taught me a lesson. :)
>
>M.

Alexander, in their portrayal, also has blone hair (like the upcoming
Oliver Stone film). Macedonians with blonde hair? Hmmmm....
October 11, 2004 1:50:53 AM

Kevin wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 14:58:54 +0200, Michael Vondung
> <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Marshall Belew wrote:
>>
>>> The game is $49.99 for digital download. $59.99 for CD. While
>>> there is no playable demo (yet) there is a fairly useful flash demo
>>> at the developer site: http://www.koiosworks.com/.
>>
>> A demo would be appreciated. In my case, I won't purchase a game
>> without a demo. Too many barely played games on my shelf taught me a
>> lesson. :)
>>
>> M.
>
> Alexander, in their portrayal, also has blone hair (like the upcoming
> Oliver Stone film). Macedonians with blonde hair? Hmmmm....

Weren't they known as "golden greeks"? Or was that someone else?
October 11, 2004 1:50:54 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.wargames (More info?)

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 21:50:53 GMT, "Coby"
<c-pross@coEXTERmcMINATEast.duh> wrote:

>Kevin wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 14:58:54 +0200, Michael Vondung
>> <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> A demo would be appreciated. In my case, I won't purchase a game
>>> without a demo. Too many barely played games on my shelf taught me a
>>> lesson. :)
>>>
>>> M.
>>
>> Alexander, in their portrayal, also has blone hair (like the upcoming
>> Oliver Stone film). Macedonians with blonde hair? Hmmmm....
>
>Weren't they known as "golden greeks"? Or was that someone else?

I think the Greeks regarded them as Coutry-Bumpkin cousins. At least
until they had their attitude adjusted by Alexander.
----------------------------

"Base not your joy upon the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away."
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 7:30:45 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.wargames (More info?)

On 9 Oct 2004 11:59:51 -0700, mbelew@koiosworks.com (Marshall Belew)
wrote:

>The game is $49.99 for digital download. $59.99 for CD. While there
>is no playable demo (yet) there is a fairly useful flash demo at the
>developer site: http://www.koiosworks.com/.
>
>I'm glad to hear that the game might make it to your Christmas wish
>list ;-)
>
>Marshall Belew

Still too much money. Matrix is pricing themselves out of the market
IMO.
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 3:06:50 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.wargames (More info?)

"Bill" <wlambrukos@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<F92ad.213252$MQ5.201281@attbi_s52>...
> So, is this game worth it? If one has RTW will there be real value in this
> game? I think it would be good if someone who actually has the game can
> give some feedback.
>
> Thanks guys
>
> Bill

I'm going to give it a shot. I just ordered it.

It looks so much like that old Interactive Magic game Great Battles of
Alexander that I can't resist. I have happy memories of many, many
hours spent fighting and refighting each of those battles from both
sides. There were only around 10 battles but I absolutely played each
one into the ground.

As a bonus I love the way the units are specifically designed to look
like painted miniatures, even so far as being mounted on bases. I was
a little young to be a historical miniatures player back when the
hobby was popular in the 70s and 80s. But I remember going to the
game store on weekends and standing by the tables and watching the
older guys play with their charts and rulers and dice. I thought it
was so cool.

One thing I really liked about GBoA was how the phalanx units were two
hexes wide. It gave them a massive and unweildly feel. I watched the
flash demo for Tin Soldiers but I didn't see any evidence of anything
similar to make the phalanxes stand out.
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 9:41:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.wargames (More info?)

On 12 Oct 2004 11:06:50 -0700, patrick.barnes@standardregister.com
(Patrick B) wrote:

>It looks so much like that old Interactive Magic game Great Battles of
>Alexander that I can't resist. I have happy memories of many, many
>hours spent fighting and refighting each of those battles from both
>sides. There were only around 10 battles but I absolutely played each
>one into the ground.

You should have got iMagic's "Great Battle Series" which included
Alexander, Hannibal and Caesar. It also came with a scenrario editor
which you need if you want to play the many scenrarios done by other
users.
!