Hi,

Are there any time-tested solutions as to how to reduce the hard drive
footprint of Windows XP Pro without wreaking havoc?

I don't want to use programs like XP-Lite because I fear they are too
cavalier with what they remove.

I saw this page: http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/69-p1.php
Is this nonsense or can I try these things?

Thanks!

/Peter

Purchase a larger hard drive or face possible operating system corruption.

How can I save space after installing a Service Pack or other updates?
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm

Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Guermantes" wrote:

| Hi,
|
| Are there any time-tested solutions as to how to reduce the hard drive
| footprint of Windows XP Pro without wreaking havoc?
|
| I don't want to use programs like XP-Lite because I fear they are too
| cavalier with what they remove.
|
| I saw this page: http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/69-p1.php
| Is this nonsense or can I try these things?
|
| Thanks!
|
| /Peter

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Most of the things on http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/69-p1.php can be done
safely.

Especially purging \windows\system32\dllcache, all i386 folders,
windows\downloaded installations, and killing system restore (an utterly
useless and unreliable program, especially if you back up your system
partition with a drive imaging program) will save you tons of space.

XPlite is a really good program to remove junkware like NetMeeting,
MovieMaker, the security hole called Outlook Express, and other useless
programs M$ thinks you can't live without.

Unfortunately XPlite costs money. If you're ever gonna do a clean install,
clean out your installation disk with nLite (freeware).