Sign in with
Your question

Replacement fan for GeForce GT240

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 13, 2012 6:53:25 PM

Hello,

Can I get a replacement fan for my GeForce GT240 (Picture: http://www.octagon-computer.com/images/P/GeForce_GT_240...) anywhere? And if so, where :D 

If this turns to be not so easy, which other fan could I mount on the cooler?

Thanks!
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 7:05:29 PM

i highly doubt you can given its 3 generations ago and that its a lower end card.

you could buy a aftermarket heatsink though
August 13, 2012 7:53:15 PM

Since you are suggesting a heatsink only, do you think this GPU would still work if passively cooled only?

I am not running highly demanding software on it, just Googleearth every now and then.
Related resources
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 8:13:11 PM

Well, you can always try. I'd suggest HWMonitor for temperature monitor. Don't let the card get hotter than 75°C.

Just by the way: aftermarket heatsinks come with fans. That's heatsink + fan bundle.

Lastly, you could always get a replacement card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
August 13, 2012 9:07:48 PM

Nvidia says the limit for this GPU is 105°C and it heated up to 99 yesterday and up to ~90 today. So it could work maybe. However, the case was open during these tests... On the other hand, I guess that the fan is broken for a few weeks already...

Thanks for the info that heatsinks come with a fan.

A replacement card is not an option here since it is an office computer at work. I am just seeking a cheap solution after I called the IT department today and they have written down "pen in graphics card broken" after I told her three times "FAN of the ..."
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 9:23:57 PM

99°C is way too hot. The card might survive for some time (like few weeks), but it might fry other components in your computer. I would not use that graphics card if I were you.

And since it's work computer.. I suppose you have to use it. Oh well, they will have some replacing to do when it damages something!
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 9:45:15 PM

yeah. you might have to find a aftermarket heatsink for the card
August 13, 2012 9:55:56 PM

But why do Nvidia then say "max. temperature = 105C" on their website for that GPU?

Could I also just mount another fan into the existing heatsink instead of replacing the whole heatsink?

Yes, they have to replace it, but they are famously incompetent and I don't want to be without a working computer for too long. We are running Linux here and at some point we had a software problem and called them: "Go to the start bar, please", "This is Linux, there is no start bar." --> "I don't know what to do then :heink:  "
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 9:56:45 PM

at 105c, thermal protection kicks in and shuts the card down i believe
August 13, 2012 10:00:28 PM

I forgot to mention... At the moment, a big blower under my desk is cooling that graphics card down to ~45 - 55 C without problem... So no danger here...

I am just seeking a quick solution which avoids having my whole computer replaced just because one single component is slightly damaged...
August 13, 2012 10:02:33 PM

Where can I find aftermarket heatsinks?
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 10:02:40 PM

quick solution: get a new card

longer solution:get a aftermarket heatsink and slap it on

longest solution: get your guys to do it
August 13, 2012 10:12:24 PM

Thank you for your help!
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 10:29:04 PM

make sure that you get the one that supports the gt240 or else it wont work