desktop.ini - music collection on external HD

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

Hi all, i have a fairly advanced question that is frustrating me. I have a
fairly extensive music collection on a USB hard drive with a very organized
folder structure (<artist>\<album>\tracks) and i want to enable thumbnail
views. Each album folder has a folder.jpg, and each artist folder (when set
to Music Artist mode) should display a collection of these album arts. My
problem is that i want to make this permanent to this device so that i can
plug it into any XP computer and presto, all the thumbnails are there.
Normally the folder customizations reside in the
registry(HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags\1,2,etc) but i
would like to instead have them in desktop.ini's in each folder. I suspect
this can be accomplished with something like the following:
[.ShellClassInfo]
FolderType=MusicArtist

....but i can't find any documentation on how to change the default display
to "Thumbnails" using a desktop.ini file. The registry setting seems to be
"Mode=0x00000005" but adding that doesn't do the trick. Anyway I'm stumped
and any help would be appreciated.

Reznoir

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
Hello, I was wondering if you ever managed to solve this problem, as I am stuck in the same situation. I have tried manipulating the desktop.ini but am getting nowhere fast

TRENDING THREADS