Sign in with
Your question

Video Editing/Gaming Rig upgrades - opinions welcome

Last response: in Systems
October 4, 2012 9:48:34 PM

Greetings Tomshardware forums!

So I'm (finally) massively overhauling my desktop rig. I first built it in 2007 and just basically swapped GPU's, added RAM, and added HDD's as needed. It's gotten to the point that small upgrades aren't viable anymore due to socket shifts, etc. so here I am.

Old Rig (for reference):
MSI P6n Diamond / Q6600 / GTX275 / 8GB RAM / 2TB HDD / Antec 900

New Rig (where I'm looking for opinions will be marked with an asterisk *)

Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-VPRO/THUNDERBOLT
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770k
GPU:*** Dilemma: Should I upgrade GPU now? or re-use GTX275 and wait for 7xx series to release/6xx price drops?
RAM:G.Skill Ripjaws Z-Series 32GB (4x8GB) 1600mhz
STORAGE:** Considering: SAMSUNG 830/840 128GB SSD + re-using 2TB HDD from previous rig.
CASE: Corsair Carbide 500R (black)

As far as uses, when I built the previous system it was 70% gaming:30% video/photo editing. Today the balance will be probably 65% Video/Photo editing:35% gaming...thus the i7 over i5, massive amount of RAM, and favor of GTX over Radeon.

Any thoughts on my dilemmas? As far as timeline it's not a huge deal to wait out a couple months and use old parts. It would suck, however, if the waiting wasn't worth it - so I guess that's my biggest concern.
October 16, 2012 7:37:40 AM

^ Thats a bit overkill dont ya think?

Mobo and CPU are good.

Dont bother waiting for the GTX700 series, still got a full year to wait. Get a current card or wait till the Radeon HD8000 series drops this new-year(ish).Unless Nvidia buck their recent habits, wouldnt expect a price drop until the Radeon 8000's are released, they are stubborn like that.

RAM is good, though I would get a Low Profile kit like G.Skill Ares.

The Samsung 830, OCZ Vertex 4 are the drives I recommend. Both will be fine.
See if you can get another HDD to use as a scratch disc.

Case is good.

Why Ultimate Windows 7? Get Professional 64bit, that will allow you to use 16GB+ of system memory and costs a lot less.

Depending on how much cash you have, it could be feasible to jump to the 2011 platform. You will find much more powerful CPU's there.
May 18, 2013 8:23:53 PM

manofchalk said:
^ Thats a bit overkill dont ya think?

Mobo and CPU are good.

Dont bother waiting for the GTX700 series, still got a full year to wait. Get a current card or wait till the Radeon HD8000 series drops this new-year(ish).Unless Nvidia buck their recent habits, wouldnt expect a price drop until the Radeon 8000's are released, they are stubborn like that.

:)  Looking at my old posts in retrospect, Gtx 700s arrive in less than a week.
RAM is good, though I would get a Low Profile kit like G.Skill Ares.

The Samsung 830, OCZ Vertex 4 are the drives I recommend. Both will be fine.
See if you can get another HDD to use as a scratch disc.

Case is good.

Why Ultimate Windows 7? Get Professional 64bit, that will allow you to use 16GB+ of system memory and costs a lot less.

Depending on how much cash you have, it could be feasible to jump to the 2011 platform. You will find much more powerful CPU's there.

!