Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Home server requirements

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 4, 2012 10:00:21 PM

Hi,

I few month ago I had the "genius" idea of combining an HTPC and a media/web server in one same box. Now I am sick of having to take down the whole server whenever I want to reinstall the OS. I think it is time to have a dedicated server machine that does one job and does it well.

I have not yet decided whether I’ll use Ubuntu, Fedora or RedHat but it shouldn’t be an important factor for now.
I have never built anything of that sort and I must admit that I’m clueless when it comes down to hardware selection. I don’t know what kind of CPU and PSU are needed need to achieve these tasks :

- Stream medias including Blu-Ray and HD content over the network to simultaneous clients (let’s say 3 or 4 at peek hours)
- Run a torrent client, FlexRAID, SAMBA, Apache, MySQL, ownCloud, etc
- Eventually handle a TV tuner to record or stream live TV across the network

I might initially use a GUI, but I’d uninstall it to remotely control the server via webmin. So any integrated GPU will do. I own 3 x 3Tb WD Caviar Green, but the array might expand as I tend to accumulate quite a lot of data. Since it’ll be working 24/7, I do not want to go ahead and build an electricity hog. On the other end, I do not want the power (i.e calculating speed) to be a bottle neck.

What kind of requirements am I looking at?
October 4, 2012 10:39:28 PM

Thanks but, is this a some kind of joke?

I don't know what you hear by "pro", but I used Linux extensively for years and built probably around 20 rigs so far, including a 3-PC cluster for a full motion flight simulator. I think I can handle putting together another small server.

These products

I don't mean to be rude but my question was what kind of processing power is needed for doing the above tasks since I can't find proper benchmarks or enough information.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 4, 2012 10:44:43 PM

lakz said:
Thanks but, is this a some kind of joke?

why would it be...? let me guess... you just looked at the price and didn't even read all the specs.

of course its not an effen joke! I'm providing you with a solution - that is better than anything you can possibly build, for a reasonable price IMO - not to mention all the features it has
m
0
l
October 4, 2012 11:01:45 PM

dingo07 said:
why would it be...? let me guess... you just looked at the price and didn't even read all the specs.

of course its not an effen joke! I'm providing you with a solution - that is better than anything you can possibly build, for a reasonable price IMO - not to mention all the features it has


Sadly, I did read the specs.

- Data Guard, Data Burn, Hardware Raid : I use FlexRAID that offers outstanding parity and pooling
- Antivirus : Total waste for a linux server, and if I ever wanted an antivirus, it wouldn't be McAfee
- Cloud backup : I host my own cloud, with ownCloud
- HDMI output : ... it's a server
- Acronis, IO/Android connectivity : ... it's a server

And so on...

Hardware : 2GB DDR3, intel Atom, 4xSata, 200W power supply, tiny rack mount... No possible upgrade. So yeah for that price it is a joke. Trust me, it is worse than anything you could build for a lot less $$$.
m
0
l
October 4, 2012 11:10:58 PM

FYI I don't think RAID works soo well with the caviar green HDDS's. Don't bother with redhat, use centos if you want to go down that route.
m
0
l
October 4, 2012 11:26:42 PM

aaab said:
FYI I don't think RAID works soo well with the caviar green HDDS's. Don't bother with redhat, use centos if you want to go down that route.


I mentioned twice that I use FlexRAID which is a software RAID technology and has nothing to do with any hypothetical WD design flaws. It has been actually up and running for more than a year and I got zero error across the array.

Yeah I've actually been considering centos as well, being mainly based on redhat. I hear a lot of good things about ubuntu server.

Can we please not get sidetracked :ange: 
m
0
l
October 4, 2012 11:41:37 PM

If you know sooo much, what the heck you asking for?

And for the record, that Thecus will serve HD better than anything I would trust you building
m
0
l
October 4, 2012 11:54:21 PM

dingo07 said:
If you know sooo much, what the heck you asking for?

And for the record, that Thecus will serve HD better than anything I would trust you building



Dude... Chill, he want's to build his own server. Just because he doesn't like what you chose, doesn't mean you need to take it personally.


FYI to stay on topic. What's your budget for a CPU? Personally I would go for an I5 ivybridge. And to save power you could down volt it.
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 12:02:02 AM

If I'm any more chill I'll ice up :p 
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 12:04:55 AM

dingo07 said:
If you know sooo much, what the heck you asking for?


Quote:
I don’t know what kind of CPU and PSU are needed need to achieve these tasks : [...]. What kind of requirements am I looking at?


A already asked politely. Since you do not have the answer, please stop trolling.

dingo07 said:
And for the record, that Thecus will serve HD better than anything I would trust you building


That truly hurts my feelings.
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 12:20:29 AM

aaab said:
FYI to stay on topic. What's your budget for a CPU? Personally I would go for an I5 ivybridge. And to save power you could down volt it.


Thanks, back on track.

My budget is pretty flexible since I do not really plan on upgrading the server for years once it's fired up. Yeah a quad core would make sens, but isn't the I5 ivybridge an overkill? The most resource demanding process would be simultaneously streaming Blurays, and don't know how demanding it actually is!
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 12:27:01 AM

lakz said:
Thanks, back on track.

My budget is pretty flexible since I do not really plan on upgrading the server for years once it's fired up. Yeah a quad core would make sens, but isn't the I5 ivybridge an overkill? The most resource demanding process would be simultaneously streaming Blurays, and don't know how demanding it actually is!



Yea it's very overkill for streaming blurays. The i5 will keep you future-proof for years to come. If your sure that you don't plan on increasing your requirements. An I3 will do the job, I suggest you get a K version
as that includes the video card.
m
0
l
!