Computer not recognizing GPU

truss88

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
I recently moved a long distance and upon setting up my computer in my new apartment, discovered that it wasn't recognizing the GPU I had (AMD 6850). I opened the case up, made sure the card was firmly in the slot, the power connections were good, nothing was visibly damaged in the move except for my CPU heatsink (which came loose, but didn't fall off.)

I checked the card for damage, nothing. The fan still runs and everything. I checked my BIOS and it's still set to the PCIE slots and updated my drivers but when I go to Device Manager, it only recognizes the iGPU.

So I went out and bought another mid-range GPU an Geforce GTX 550Ti and installed it to no avail, it still only recognizes the integrated card.

I'm at a loss of what to do, there are no power issues, I packed everything carefully so I doubt there's any damage to the motherboard.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do? I hope this is in the right forum, thanks.

truss88

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

Correct, yeah. The fans on both GPUs spin, the total wattage used is way below what my PSU can handle. I just don't know what could be causing this!

try this..see if the other pci video slot works. if it does not..power down the pc let the cpu cool off and reseat the cpu. it may have moved when the heat sink fell off. the intel cpu has the northbridge chips built into the cpu. i would also see if gpu-z see the video card.

truss88

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
The other PCI slot doesn't read it, I'll try reseating the CPU though thanks a lot. GPU-Z only shows the onboard though. :/ It wouldn't make a difference that I have the DVI cable going to the onboard after I install the card, right? I get no signal on the monitor otherwise.

as long as you have the bios set to turn the gpu on. it should show up under device managers. one thing to check under the device manager is that all your mb chipset drivers are not damaged. if there a bad driver your pci bus may not work right.
I would try install intel chipset drivers see if there asn update..i would also power the pc down and check the video card slot for bent pins..damaged pins or the connector being snapped. i also check under the mb and the mb shield make sure nothing shorting out the mb.