Should I get a Wrist Strap?

Solution
I just ground myself without any wrist strap. They're cheap, but it's money that isn't necessary unless you're worried about static (not unreasonable, I only started ensuring that I'm grounded after having a bad experience with static killing a motherboard) and can't ground yourself. Given the circumstances that you just listed, a wrist strap is not unreasonable, but I don't think that it matters much which you get.

scottiemedic

Distinguished
Either is fine. I've personally never used one, I just stay mindful of where I work on my box, what shoes I'm wearing, etc etc and always touch the case (bare metal) while it's still plugged in to help 'ground' myself. Then I hang onto the box while I unplug it and move it right to my work surface.

+1

I have yet to experience any static being discharged my components and I sometimes even forget to take the precautionary steps :lol: Though, I do live in a humid area, that's why I feel comfortable forgetting sometimes.

Personally, I feel the wrist-bands are a waste of money, just do what scottie does by touching a PSU that's plugged into the wall :)

CheesyHotDogPuff

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
I live on the canadian prairies, It's going to snow by the end of the month. During the summer it's usually staticless (New Word?) but during the winter, the dry snowy conditions cause lots of static (I get zapped 15-18 times a day.) I think it would be worth my while to invest in a static wrist band.

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
I just ground myself without any wrist strap. They're cheap, but it's money that isn't necessary unless you're worried about static (not unreasonable, I only started ensuring that I'm grounded after having a bad experience with static killing a motherboard) and can't ground yourself. Given the circumstances that you just listed, a wrist strap is not unreasonable, but I don't think that it matters much which you get.

Solution

In that case, I agree with scottie.

They both do the same thing just with different costs :)