Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Phenom II X2 545 vs Phenom X4 9550

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2013 9:35:22 PM

I'm giving away a desktop to my father and I was wondering which CPU would bring better performance for gaming/general tasks?

Note: The Phenom II X2 545 is OCed @ 3.6GHz and 2.4GHz IMC, the Phenom X4 9550 isn't OCed but I know it can get to at least 2.5GHz with a decent cooler.
This is all being paired with 4GB of DDR2 800 RAM, a GeForce GTX 260 core 216 OCed, and an MSI 785GTM-E45 mobo.

So basically it comes down to Phenom II X2 @ 3.6GHz/2.4GHz IMC VS. Phenom X4 2.5-2.8GHz.

Thanks!

More about : phenom 545 phenom 9550

a c 175 à CPUs
February 17, 2013 10:12:26 PM

the dual core will be faster in general and for games for its higher clock speed. the x4 may be better in multi tasking but its under 3.0ghz clock hurts its gaming performance.

Guessing u own both and since u have it overclocked, do u know if the 545 can be unlocked to a stable x4 quad core?
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2013 10:20:03 PM

lazyboy947 said:
the dual core will be faster in general and for games for its higher clock speed. the x4 may be better in multi tasking but its under 3.0ghz clock hurts its gaming performance.

Guessing u own both and since u have it overclocked, do u know if the 545 can be unlocked to a stable x4 quad core?

Unfortunately it can't, I tried for the fourth and third but nothing...
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 330 à CPUs
February 18, 2013 1:31:44 AM

At AnandTech they did not have the exact same processors you metion to compare. But the next bump up in each category looks like this:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/23?vs=97
Depending on the main use for the PC, maybe it will help you decide. Myself, I'd rather have the newer, speedier, slightly cooler Phenom II for gaming... by a tiny margin. In reality, I doubt he'd see the difference with an adequate gfx card. And for web surfing, it won't matter.
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2013 2:12:22 AM

clutchc said:
At AnandTech they did not have the exact same processors you metion to compare. But the next bump up in each category looks like this:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/23?vs=97
Depending on the main use for the PC, maybe it will help you decide. Myself, I'd rather have the newer, speedier, slightly cooler Phenom II for gaming... by a tiny margin. In reality, I doubt he'd see the difference with an adequate gfx card. And for web surfing, it won't matter.

Wow! I took a look at Anand before but not at that specific comparison so it didn't show the gaming benches but thanks!

Phenom II X2 it is.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2013 2:12:22 AM

Best answer selected by whooleo.
m
l
!