Sign in with
Your question

Quad core vs dual core

Last response: in CPUs
February 18, 2013 1:15:25 AM

I am looking to replace my current laptop and was wondering which processors are the better performers. So the question I am asking is a quad core running at 1.9 ghz faster than a dual core 2.5 ghz.

More about : quad core dual core

February 18, 2013 1:28:30 AM

Not "faster". Assuming they are the same architecture the dual core would technically be faster. A program that uses more than 2 cores however will be faster than the same program being used on the dual core. It really all depends on what your doing. If you plan to game then the quad core would help with current generation games being optimized for more cores while if you are planning on doing school work using Microsoft word and just web browsing the dual core would be the better of the two.
February 18, 2013 1:35:05 AM

The main use would be school. I bought an under powered computer with a 1 ghz AMD dual core and will be upgrading very shortly. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Related resources
February 18, 2013 1:35:29 AM

It depend on the program you want to ran.
if the program can use 4 core then it will be faster.
In the other hand, if the program only use 2 core or less then 2 stronger core is faster.

The above statement only true when you are comparing the same core architectural. Now the core architectural has a huge impact on the performance.
February 18, 2013 1:46:16 AM

jeff0151 said:
The main use would be school. I bought an under powered computer with a 1 ghz AMD dual core and will be upgrading very shortly. Your help is greatly appreciated.

The dual core would be better for you then. Are their any 2 specific laptops you are having a hard time deciding over? If you can link them we should be able to tell you which one would be better for your needs. While I said that the dual core would be better, that rule only applies if the CPU's are the same architecture. We will easily be able to determine this for you.
!