Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Build now or wait?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
February 18, 2013 1:24:20 AM

I hear the NVIDIA 700 series is coming out soon (around April apparently), so I was planning to wait for the GTX 780. But I also hear that Intel is releasing their new line of Haswell processors later this year.

My budget is $1800-$2200 and I'm building for high end gaming on one monitor with a normal resolution (1920x1200 or something). Should I wait for Haswell or build when the 700 series comes out and upgrade my CPU in 2014 with the next line of revolutionary processors? If I wait I would probably get a cheap laptop to play League and stuff.

More about : build wait

February 18, 2013 1:28:13 AM

just wait for it
Anonymous
February 18, 2013 1:32:45 AM

Last I read both Nvidia and AMD GPUs are delayed until Fall now. With that budget you can do better than a standard 1080, or 1200 display (not that many of those left). Always go with the best display you can afford since its what your looking at the whole time. Look at the 27" 2560 x 1440 models out. Since 30" are prob more than you want to spend on one. Dont even think of integrated CPU for graphics, they arent close to assuming the duties of a stand alone GPU to run the latest games.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2013 1:32:55 AM

Haswell is mostly graphics and power consumption, I would wait for benchmarks

For graphics wait for the 7xx and either grab the 7xxx when they drop to compete or the 6xx as they get phased out (depends how much more effective the 7xx are)

Where did you hear the news about the 7xx?
February 18, 2013 1:43:42 AM

I'm guessing my news is more outdated than yours. But I heard that the 700 series won't be that much of an improvement over the 600. If it's really delayed until Q4, and Haswell won't be a huge improvement over what I could get right now, I'd probably lean towards building soon. I could use some more opinions/advice though.
February 18, 2013 3:05:33 PM

bump, I need help. I plan on periodical upgrading and Haswell doesn't sound like it's worth waiting until September for; but if the NVIDIA cards get delayed I don't know if I should build now or wait. Would the 780 be worth waiting for over the 680?
February 18, 2013 3:05:58 PM

bump, I need help. I plan on periodical upgrading and Haswell doesn't sound like it's worth waiting until September for; but if the NVIDIA cards get delayed I don't know if I should build now or wait. Would the 780 be worth waiting for over the 680?
!