Will this PC hold high-end gaming?

MatanShalom

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Hey there. I'm upgrading my computer, so i'd searched for some parts and I've come around with 2 PC's: Intel based & AMD based. I'm mainly focusing on 3 major parts: CPU,GPU & Motherboard. The rest of the parts are in my old PC, and buying new ones isn't that much of a big deal, since i'm basically buying the other parts for the "big" parts. My main uses of my PC are gaming & watching HD videos. I'm basically searching for a PC that will give me a good gaming experience. These are the two PC's: (Large numbers are price in my local currency, Just to give you a look on the price tag which is fair IMO)

PC #1 - Intel Based
---------------------
Motherboard - Asus P8H61-M LX R2.0 - 260 (65$)
RAM - G.Skill DDR3 F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL - 415 (105$)
CPU - Intel Core i5-3450 Box - 1060 (265$)
GPU - Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX660 2GB GDDR5 - 1290 (320$)
-------------------------------------------------------

Entire Upgrade - 3025 (755$)
Payment Per Month - 252 (62$) Over 12 Months
----------------------------------------

PC #2 - AMD Based
-------------------
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-880GM-D2H - 345 (85$)
RAM - G.Skill DDR3 F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL - 415 (105$)
CPU - AMD Eight Core FX-Series 8150 Box - 1090 (270$)
GPU - Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB OC GV-R785OC-2GD - 1320 (330$)
-----------------------------------------------------------

Entire Upgrade - 3170 (790$)
Payment Per Month - 265 (66$) Over 12 Months
----------------------------------------

Post your opinions, ideas and what not.
Thank you all in advance!

Hazle

Distinguished
PC#1.

OCing may help the 8150 against the 3450, but not by a lot.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120-9.html

http://techreport.com/review/23246/inside-the-second-gaming-performance-with-today-cpus/5

EDIT: before you do get the intel build, i highly suggest you check the compatibility of that h61 motherboard with that 3450. more likely than not you'll need to update the BIOS unless you get one that's pre-installed with the near-latest BIOS for you. if you're building on your own, this can be a problem. if you're buying from a shop and they're building it for you, their problem to fix it. otherwise, there's the B75 boards which can be just as cheap as the H61 boards.

ckholt83

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
If you're primarily gaming, you're better off going with the Intel build. Right now there's just no contest in gaming performance between the two.

You also probably want a motherboard with a more modern Z77 chipset instead of the older Sandy Bridge generation H61.

Those prices seem pretty horrible. What are your options for purchasing? If the parenthetic price is US Dollars, that's still a few hundred more than what I would pay buying those same parts from newegg.

MatanShalom

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
I'm buying the parts from a shop. Their fixing the PC for me, i'm just telling them what parts to use.
Another question: What would you say i should upgrade? I live in Israel, so the prices are high because of import taxes, but still compared to my salary and the market it's a decent price.

EDIT: From what i see, the Intel spec i built is more powerful then the AMD one (correct me if I'm wrong). And you guys suggested getting a better motherboard. What's the difference between the chip sets (H61 vs B75 vs Z77)? How will it affect my PC's performance? Also, Is the CPU good for high end gaming, or should i even upgrade more? How drastic would be the change?

Hazle

Distinguished
assuming that's a GTX 660 (non-Ti) you could get a 7870 if that only costs a few dollars more. performance may very from slightly better to slightly worse depending on the game.

it would be helpful for us to know what kind of power supply this shop will be using as well. hopefully at worse, they'll cover this in the warranty if something goes wrong and you don't have much choice in the power supply, be it limited budget or selection.

Hazle

Distinguished

crap like this happens in other countries. it's why i always order things online. case in point, where i'm from, a 6870 costs US$ 390. no, they didn't get the memo on all the price drops these last year or two. the price for a laptop DDR3 1333mhz 2x2GB RAM here is twice that from a neighboring country where it was manufactured and where they ordered from :pfff: