Problem after removing malware. Involves "My Computer->C D..

Hi thanks ahead of time for any info. Recently I removed some nasty worm from
both of my Win XP Pro computers and just about everything is A-OK now.

However the one lingering problem is that when I open 'My Computer' and
double click on my C drive I get a message that "Windows cannot find
install.exe' and the drive does not open. "Install.exe" is one of the virus
files I deleted. I can get around it by right clicking and exploring. I
assume this can be fixed in the registry I just don't know where.

Unfortunately this is a very awkward problem to do a google search for.

Thanks!
5 answers Last reply
More about problem removing malware involves computer

    Thanks for the interest. The virus was "W32.Licum" according to my Norton
    logs. I'll try scanning through my registry using the search, I've been
    playing around in this reg for 3 years now and haven't done much harm so I
    feel confident that I won't do any real damage.

    Thanks!

    Two things come to mind immediately.
    I would guess it is in your system.ini, you may find a line that says

    shell=explorer.exe install.exe

    in which case remove the install.exe part and you're golden.
    Also the registry key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Winlogon there is a
    key called "Shell", its value should also be explorer.exe and nothing else.

    hope this is useful.

    Could you please advise exactly what it was that you removed, the name of the virus.
    This will make it easier for someone to help you.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBNZW5hcmQ=?= wrote:
    > However the one lingering problem is that when I open 'My Computer' and
    > double click on my C drive I get a message that "Windows cannot find
    > install.exe' and the drive does not open. "Install.exe" is one of the
    > virus files I deleted. I can get around it by right clicking and
    > exploring. I assume this can be fixed in the registry I just don't know
    > where.

    I hesitate to encourage irresponsible behavior, but I'll do it anyway:
    Run regedit and do Edit|Find/Find Next on install.exe. Don't click on every
    dang thing you see. Just look at each hit, all the way through. Maybe one or
    more hits will reveal the truth. Or not. Either way, you'll learn something.

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.licum.html

    > Thanks for the interest. The virus was "W32.Licum" according to my Norton
    > logs. I'll try scanning through my registry using the search, I've been
    > playing around in this reg for 3 years now and haven't done much harm so I
    > feel confident that I won't do any real damage.
    >
    > Thanks!

Configuration Computers Windows XP