New system, blue screen of death

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card
Case: Rosewill Challenger-U3 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

So, I'm not sure how to approach my problem or exactly how to present it. My brother helped me build this computer. I fired it up and within the first few hours, it was crashing. I didn't have the graphics card at first - I was just working off of onboard graphics and it would crash seemingly randomly, to me. I wouldn't be doing anything demanding besides playing a youtube video or such. Wasn't because of heat or extreme demand. I could use my computer, but it would feel unstable. I ran memtest, and it didn't seem to pick up anything.

Fastforward to a couple of days later, I get my graphics card. I figure maybe my computer will work better now because I will have that instead of onboard graphics, but now I get blue-screening. I've yet to play any games. I haven't stressed the card or my system at all, so I'm not sure what's crashing it.

My bios is up to date. I have all of my windows updates, although my computer crashed a few times during some of them. I believe I have all of my other drivers, but I can't be 100% sure. Is there any other information to check?

Thanks for any help.
2 answers Last reply
More about system blue screen death
  1. I checked the RAM. I booted up using one stick, separate times, and I would still crash. So I don't think that's the issue. When I got my graphics card, I went in and turned off my internal graphics. After that, I couldn't even log into windows for more than a minute without blue screening. Of course this sounds like a graphics card problem, which would be fine, but I crashed a handful of times before I even put the graphics card in, although those weren't blue screens.

Does anyone know what else to check for, besides just looking at the graphics card? I'm fine with getting a new one, but I'd love for my system to be stable everywhere else when I get a new one. I'm just not sure how to check every area.
  2. Please, can anyone offer any insight? This is why I'm not completely set on the idea that the graphics card can be the problem:

I see I have new windows updates to install. It starts installing most of them - updates for windows .Net framework, gets near the end, and just crashes. I've had a lot of problems with windows updates - it's what would crash my computer the most before I had the graphics card. There was no blue screen.

This is my first new computer in 6 years. I was pumped for it, and now it's so unstable, so it's very stressful. I would love any help.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems